Stop your heartbeat!!!!!

Dcrafton

WKR
While shooting off a bench, how are some ways to reduce/stop your scope heartbeat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdjones

Lil-Rokslider
Reduce magnification I typically don't shoot with more then 16 power out to 1,000 yrd.

Off a bench I'll let the gun slap me on the shoulder with sandbags holding the front and butt of the stock.

Loosen the grip around the grip.

Deep slow breaths - go to ur happy place. :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
While shooting off a bench, how are some ways to reduce/stop your scope heartbeat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are really only two ways to slow your heartbeat for a shot- shot preparation, and physical fitness.

When preparing for a shot, you want to remove all external stimuli possible. Any kind of discomfort, whether it's an awkward shooting position or a cholla cactus or uncomfortable temperature, will inherently prevent your heart rate from reaching your personal resting heart rate. Once you get as perfectly comfortable as possible, start breathing up for your shot. If you haven't, do a little research on the connection between breathing and the parasympathetic nervous system- it's a very well documented and scientific connection. There are a million variations of breathing up for a shot, and it really comes down to shooter preference, but I personally take two full breath cycles (deep breath in, exhale, deep breath in, exhale) and then try to break my shot midway through my third exhalation. Just how I was taught. All of those things will help to get your heart rate down towards your personal minimum.

Individual resting heart rate varies drastically, but you do have some control over it. Are you an olympic triathlete? Cool. Your resting heart rate will probably be under 60 BPM. Do you smoke a pack and a half a day, have hypertension, and get most of your nutrition from Monster energy drinks? In that case, it will probably not. Good hydration also helps.

Most of what I've read throughout the years, regarding breathing and target shooting, says to fully exhale and shoot or shoot while you are exhaling. For whatever reason I have always held my breath while pulling the trigger, just the habit I got into at an early age and that's how I shoot today. If you hold your breath, your heart rate will decrease a little because of vasoconstriction of your peripheral vascular system, increased blood pressure, yada, yada, so that might be a technique to try. You can experiment with it by checking your pulse while your breathing normal, then check it again while holding your breath for about 15-20 seconds, or more if you can tolerate it without getting too air hungry.

JohnnyB

WKR
Beta blockers before shooting competitions is what all the cool kids are doing. Don't try it without a doctors consent.

Of course the cool kids are the ones that precipitated the old adage, "if all your friends jumped off a cliff would you?"

If I stop thinking about any outside crap and just focus on squeezing the trigger while barely touching the rifle, that’s the only way I can shoot well. Basically go into a brief meditative state right before the shot startles me out of it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
BRASSF
Breathe
Relax
Aim
Squeeze
Shoot
Follow- through

It's that simple

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Your natural respiratory pause plays a huge role in the shot process. Study up on interrupted and non interrupted trigger pull. Natural point of aim. It's all out there to study up on and practice. Muscle memory and hours upon hours of dry fire practice helps before you go live. If you still get nervous, you got issues lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk