Strickland/DDP

OXN939

WKR
Know there are some other MMA guys on here, interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

I'm giving Strickland a 65% chance of winning. His boxing looking extra crispy lately, and his bizarre fight style seems to be getting tougher and tougher to read. Obviously his win against Adesanya was a master class, but even before that he walked right through Imavov, and that guy is no slouch.

DDP has definitely gotten better too. In my view, though, his only win over a top quality opponent in the UFC was Whittaker, who looked nothing like himself in that fight. The one that really gets me was DDP/Till, only two fights ago. Till walked into that fight a washed up alcoholic freshly out of jail for DUI... and STILL gave DDP a hell of a run for his money. Granted most of them were before his surgery, but it always seems like even DDP is surprised when he wins.

I'm biased because I think Strickland is hilarious and love a good underdog, but I really hope my guy can pull it off, if nothing else just for the post fight interview. What do y'all think?

birdman22

FNG
So happy that Strickland beat Izzy. I cannot stand that guy.

But I think DDP takes this one. Too strong and unorthodox, walks forward unafraid. Seans style suits a traditional matchup like Izzy, but doesn't match up well against DDP IMO.

I like DDP and Strickland so good with either outcome, hoping for a good fight.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
walks forward unafraid.

Yeah I think that technique against a really elite striker may be a learning opportunity for him, lol. Remember that Sean has spent a lot of time training with Pereira. Appears Sean was not slacking in camp from that video they just put out too.

Even if DDP does win, it'd make for a great show watching Bo fold him up like a lawn chair later this year

Jlwatts

FNG
I think Strickland is the better striker but Duplessis is more well rounded so it’s a toss up.

birdman22

FNG
Came up with this scenario last night: DDP beats Strickland, Strickland rematches Izzy which would be a big fight, Khamzat wins his next fight and then gets the shot vs DDP.

Beyond that Pereira beats Hill, and after Izzy beats Strickland he moves up to fight Alex. And Alex hopefully does everyone a favor and takes his head off again.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
I think Strickland is the better striker but Duplessis is more well rounded so it’s a toss up.

Rewatched a few old fights this week. Check out DDP/ Tavares.

Honestly fairly close. Tavares' grappling was even better than DDP in some of those exchanges... and Tavares has never been anywhere near the rankings.

Plus. If you guys didn't hear D'Sean's interview yesterday... it was wild. Give his verbal exchange with that Canadian reporter a google if you're bored, my guy truly has zero filter.

Cannonier walked down Strickland pretty much their whole fight. Sean outboxed him, but without much power behind each punch.

Cannonier connected on a couple big swinging punches and that’s all it could take.

DPP hits harder and if Sean can avoid those, he will win, but you can only fight so many full five round fights before getting caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Cannonier walked down Strickland pretty much their whole fight. Sean outboxed him, but without much power behind each punch.

Eh. The Cannonier fight was weird scoring. One of the judges had it 49-46 Sean, the other 49-46 for Jared. I'd agree with your assessment, but thought Sean was busier.

Meanwhile, just rewatched Till/DDP. Dricus straight up almost got finished several times in round 2, to the point that he was shooting desperation double legs. Against a guy who got cut right after that.

Unrelated news, Evloev Allen should be a banger and a half. Only other fight I'm really on the edge of my seat about on that card

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Strickland will whip him

Man. Y'all scope that video of the weigh ins... Sean looks bad.

This is why weighing in the day before is so dumb. Might not ever get to see what a fight between these two guys is really like if Sean feels how he looks

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Came up with this scenario last night: DDP beats Strickland, Strickland rematches Izzy which would be a big fight, Khamzat wins his next fight and then gets the shot vs DDP.

Beyond that Pereira beats Hill, and after Izzy beats Strickland he moves up to fight Alex. And Alex hopefully does everyone a favor and takes his head off again.
If DDP wins its him vs Adesayna at ufc 300.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Man. Y'all scope that video of the weigh ins... Sean looks bad.

This is why weighing in the day before is so dumb. Might not ever get to see what a fight between these two guys is really like if Sean feels how he looks
Eh. The Cannonier fight was weird scoring. One of the judges had it 49-46 Sean, the other 49-46 for Jared. I'd agree with your assessment, but thought Sean was busier.

Meanwhile, just rewatched Till/DDP. Dricus straight up almost got finished several times in round 2, to the point that he was shooting desperation double legs. Against a guy who got cut right after that.

Unrelated news, Evloev Allen should be a banger and a half. Only other fight I'm really on the edge of my seat about on that card
Strickland had like triple the significant head strikes to Canonier I think it was a robbery

I'm not going to pick Strickland/Dricus but I met Pennington during a hunt last fall, she was really down to earth and I'd like to see her win for no reason other than her taking the time to interact with an MMA fan during a hunt.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
I would have never known without running into her randomly, in rural Alaska of all places.

Wild. That's super cool to hear.

Evloev Allen indeed a banger with some really elite skills on deck. Sorry to see Allen couldn't pull it off, he's a real deal warrior and a class act. Sure he'll be back though.

Not really on the edge of my seat for any of these other fights on the main. Until THE main...