Reflections on a goat hunt

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Nearly new (just well broken in) Meindl AK Hunters with three treatments of Obenaufs.

2rocky

WKR
Nate I've always known you were legit and this cemented that. You show a keen self awareness that I envy and I'm thankful that you shared it here.

The guys at Barney's in Anchorage said the plastic Scarpas were their recommendation.

You know how I know you are legit?....Chicks in Extra-Tuffs. You don't say that unless you have been there...

Eagle

WKR
What all did you end up taking and ditching in the clothing department? Sounds like an adventure and a life changing trip, thanks for sharing.

Daniel_M

WKR
Gators are a must, that's about the only saving grace from the wet brush transfer you get.

Must be an Alaska thing.....

49bed60b242205570546b039a65ebba2.jpg

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Gators are a must, that's about the only saving grace from the wet brush transfer you get.

Must be an Alaska thing.....

49bed60b242205570546b039a65ebba2.jpg

Oh I had em. They helped, to a degree, but you also get to a point where nothing can hold up against that kind of rain. It was like living inside your shower for days, on cold.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
What all did you end up taking and ditching in the clothing department? Sounds like an adventure and a life changing trip, thanks for sharing.

I took 3 pair of base layers. One did not leave the tent and was for sleeping only. I rotated the others and tried to somewhat dry them in my bag. Still, they never got better than damp status. Fun to put on on a chilly morning!

I took one Sitka Traverse shirt, and ditched one that I had planned on bringing. Wished I hadn't. Could have used it.

I ditched my Pendleton wool shirt.

I took the Jetstream vest. Wore it once over base layers and under rain gear and it got so soaked with sweat that it was never usable again for the rest of the trip. That was a waste.

Wished I had taken just a simple fleece jacket.

Took a Sitka Kelvin Lite jacket which was nice around camp and while standing under a tarp for warmth, but too hot to hike in. I was still glad to have it. I also kept it in my bag with me and stuffed it into cold spots.

Took one pair of Sitka pants that never got worn. Was always just base under rain gear. Got cold standing still, but too hot to wear anything more while hiking. Would have like to of had some light puffy pants for sleeping and/or warmth around camp.

Took 4 pair of socks and wished I had more. One pair never left the tent and was just for sleeping. The rest were soaked through. My boots never dried out so putting on wet socks, while it sucked, was not really a big deal. Dry ones would have turned into wet ones immediately anyway.

I gotta figure out something for next time with my footwear. All but a couple of the guides wore plastics (Koflach/Scarpa) and glacier socks at times. I'm going to try those out before the next run and see if I like them. Another love/hate thing. All I know is my guide scrambled like a goat himself over stuff that I had to carefully pick my way through.

What I did right was to leave the one pair of socks and base layers inside the tent. My sleeping bag got wet towards the end of the trip. Crawling in with dry base layers was a must. I don't think I honestly did anything wrong with my gear choices, it was just really extreme weather, even for the area.

And ultimately, what I did right best was my fitness level. I felt fine the whole time. I was never sore or excessively tired. I actually impressed myself. Tons of leg work and a lot of weighted stability training helped big time! You are constantly straining for balance on a goat hunt so working those wierd little balance muscles in your legs is so important. Squats and lunges are good too, the big stuff gets you up the mountain, but the abductors and adductors keep you on the mountain.

Some things I will surel take next time:

A bivy sack. So what if your tent leaks! Instead it was a major source of distress for me.

Some chemical handwarmers. Toss them in my boots at night to help them dry out, and just general comfort. I found great peace in warm things on this trip as they were so few. Stuffing my mountain house in my jacket while it absorbed water was pure pleasure for 10 minutes!

HH Impertech pants, for the aforementioned reasons.

And then the boot thing remains to be seen. Different leather treatment? Different boots? Plastic boots? Waterproof socks of some sort? I have 2 years to work this out.

Anyhow, if anyone is considering a trip of this nature and wants to go over gear, let me know and I'd be happy to go into more detail.

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Oh, and I forgot. Atlas commercial fishing gloves over rag wool was just the ticket for hands! Warm, durable, waterproof and cheap. A rare combination. You climb as much with your hands as you do your feet in goat country so you can't overlook gloves. Goretex wouldn't have stood a chance and lined gloves with wet hands suck. You just pull the liner out and spend all your time time fighting with them.

Stid2677

WKR
Oh, and I forgot. Atlas commercial fishing gloves over rag wool was just the ticket for hands! Warm, durable, waterproof and cheap. A rare combination. You climb as much with your hands as you do your feet in goat country so you can't overlook gloves. Goretex wouldn't have stood a chance and lined gloves with wet hands suck. You just pull the liner out and spend all your time time fighting with them.

Yep,, only thing I have found that will keep the digits warm when it starts raining and don't stop.

P8290256_zps744fc52f.jpg

daddie63

WKR
Thanks for your write up. Sounds like a great time. One day I'll make it on a goat hunt. I'd love to hear more of your gear list and a quick run down on your physical prep for your hunt. Thank you.

Wow well I am sorry you didn't punch your tag but Dennis and his guys will work their tails off to get you a chance at a goat. Too bad about the weather, but really that is how that area of AK can be. Plus the Chugach are bad ass mountains that don't give up their goats easily. Given 5 decent days you would have gotten it done. You should organize your thoughts and write a blow by blow of the emotions you experienced through the hunt. I'd enjoy reading it, it's not about the kill, it's about what you learned about yourself, the outdoors and just how much we all take for granted every day.

Cheers amigo and keep after it!

Lexington

FNG
Nate -

The weather conditions you experienced on your hunt were sort of the 'worse care' scenario that I tried to prepare for on my hunt in the Alaska this season.

Luckily I only spent 2 1/2 days in the tent due to snow & visibility issues.

I was wearing the Koflach Degre Plastic Mountaineering boots - with my feet wrapped in Leukotape. Had no problems the entire hunt (and we covered A LOT of territory).

My sleeping bag was a synthetic Mtn Hardware Ultralamina 15.
I could climb into this cold and soaking wet from head to toe with all of my layers on (except rain gear which was on floor of tent for extra insulating layer) and my body heat would warm quickly, plus dry everything out by morning.

I used a NeoAir Xtherme Sleeping Mat - Full Length. Great insulation.

Ended up just wearing 1 pair of First Light longjohns for the entire hunt. My body heat was enough to dry them out.

Brought 3pr First Lite Red Desert Boxers +
3pr Darn Tough 1441 Hike Trek CoolMax socks (INCREDIBLE wicking).

Used one hooded Sitka Traverse shirt - was great (Very Stinky by Day 7). Agree on the Jetstream Vest... what a disappointment. Will be looking for a fast-drying fleece layer.

Sitka Timberline Pants were great - waterproof seat and knee-pands in the shale were appreciated. I did not wear crampons.

Montbell Thermawrap Pro was my Top insulating layer + Mtn Hardware Compressor Pants on the bottom. Love quick drying synthetics.

KUIU Chugach rainset went on top of this. It exceeded my expectations.

Used lightweight wool DeFeet Handskins Black as my primary glove, then OR Mt. Baker Mitt + Hestra Primaloft Liner when sitting glassing. I was in shale, so different impact on glove liners, etc.

I brought "God is My Co-Pilot" written by Flying Tigers ACE Robert L. Scott... not exactly "PC" by today's standards...

Also had a UCO Emergency Candle... was lit a handful of times at night in the tent. There were a couple times my Camelback hose froze solid and the main bag started to get slushy.

Sitka ballcap + Carhart acrylic beanie underwhelmed... I need to figure out a better solution to managing wet/cold headgear (providing adequate sweat management).

Brought individually wrapped butter paddies to add to my Mtn House dinners so I was consuming fat... have found in the past that simple carbs and salt get burned up quick, some additional Fat gets metabolized slower by the body keeping the body warmer longer. (Read Conover's: "A Snow Walker's Companion" about the importance of food consumption on physical warmth).

Would be interested in bringing long-handled axe next time...

I am hoping to do a goat hunt in te next couple of years and this post with all the information is priceless, thanks guys.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
So mama is getting a box on the porch today. Xtratuf's baby! SCHWING!