String jumping....

@Beendare

Nobody is disputing the animals react. But I don't see the videos proving it's the bow.

I get opportunity to shoot with multiple animals present. The animals where I'm shooting might react similar to what you see in the video, however other deer in the food plot do not. The thing that is different about it is one or a few animals have an arrow coming at them, the others are similar distance, but they don't duck or duck/spin.

N2TRKYS

WKR
@Beendare

Nobody is disputing the animals react. But I don't see the videos proving it's the bow.

I get opportunity to shoot with multiple animals present. The animals where I'm shooting might react similar to what you see in the video, however other deer in the food plot do not. The thing that is different about it is one or a few animals have an arrow coming at them, the others are similar distance, but they don't duck or duck/spin.

Are you videoing these shots? Might be interesting to see.

Are you videoing these shots? Might be interesting to see.

Not the whole field. I have a video of a doe shot by a 12 yo this year. Deer was 22 yards and it ducked hard. Blazers and a vented fixed blade not moving very fast. The other deer in the turnips hardly reacted except to watch her hauling out for 80 yards. One was within 30 yards and just stood and watched.

These are farm deer, not spooky mountain or public land deer.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Not the whole field. I have a video of a doe shot by a 12 yo this year. Deer was 22 yards and it ducked hard. Blazers and a vented fixed blade not moving very fast. The other deer in the turnips hardly reacted except to watch her hauling out for 80 yards. One was within 30 yards and just stood and watched.

These are farm deer, not spooky mountain or public land deer.

I’ve seen deer flinch when something startled them. I seen something as small as birds and squirrels startle them.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Little noises will startle them, they will flinch. They don't duck and spin.

Many of the reactions you see on video are of them trying to dodge something.

I’ve seen them duck and spin because of those things and for reasons I couldn’t explain. It’s just their natural reaction. They’re all different. I’ve killed several bucks at various yardages that didn’t even drop.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
@Beendare

Really? That’s what you see here?

In a few of those cases the deer have their head down and are feeding at close range..... and you still think it’s the arrow?

Of course there are many different circumstances with these animals and every scenario is different. It wouldn’t surprise me if in some cases they hear the arrow on a longer shot Especially when they are either looking at you or in a high state of awareness... but I don’t think you can say that On these deer that are feeding

——

In a few of those cases the deer have their head down and are feeding at close range..... and you still think it’s the arrow?

Of course there are many different circumstances with these animals and every scenario is different. It wouldn’t surprise me if in some cases they hear the arrow on a longer shot Especially when they are either looking at you or in a high state of awareness... but I don’t think you can say that On these deer that are feeding

——

Why couldn't it be the arrow?

I don't see a bit of difference between head down, head up, doing the hokey pokey. The deer are reacting for sure, but how do you know it's to bow noise? All the situations have two variables, the bow noise and the arrow noise.

I shoot plenty of ground hogs and such while close to deer, I only see the deer react to the shoot when the arrow is coming at them, that's why I feel the arrow noise is more important that the bow. In none of this am I saying that a deer isn't aware of the noise or is alerted, just that the reaction of trying to get away from something comes from the arrow. If it was just a noise why wouldn't they bolt in a straight line? That would be the quickest way. The video where the guy spined the buck that deer was trying to twist away from something.

I think it's hard for us to grasp both the hearing and reaction of prey animals, they are completely different than us.

I could very well be wrong, I have played with things a lot and I'm convinced that I'm better off having an arrow that is as quiet as possible in flight.

Nothing about arrow vs. bow in this video, but head position matters. I've seen and heard other examples of this as well.

Long video here, but jump to 7:45 to see the good stuff.

It's like a gunshot. It's hard to pinpoint a single first shot a lot of times. You heard it and weren't expecting it, you can get a general idea where it came from but frequently can't pin it down, once you hear a second shot you know exactly where it was.

The bow is the first shot, the arrow coming is a direction and it's getting louder, you know it's coming your way.

I shot and killed 4 animals last year. 1 pronghorn buck and 3 whitetails. ! unrecovered muley. Of them all only 1 of the whitetails, an old ass spooky doe, reacted to the shot from my bow. Now I was using a rather loud bow for her and shot her at 17 yards. The pronghorn was 81 and did not react. The other 2 white tails I shot using a quiet bow and they did not react. In fact, a whitetail buck, white tail doe and another buck I missed ran maybe 30-40 yards and stopped to look around because they did not not know what the sound was.

So I think you have a bit of tail wagging the dog here. There are so many variables where a quiet bow shoots a loud blazer vane arrow, or a loud bow (oneida) is shooting a quiet arrow. I don't know why this answer has to be binary. I've had animals jump my bow when I am close and seen them not react until the arrow is at the apex on a longer shot.

Nothing about arrow vs. bow in this video, but head position matters. I've seen and heard other examples of this as well.

Long video here, but jump to 7:45 to see the good stuff.

Only problem there is it seems they are comparing what looks to me to be a mature doe and a yearling, I'd suspect the yearling will have faster reaction just do to the fact that it's younger.

I haven't been able to determine what reaction a deer will have, unless it's already alert. If it's already alert, or keyed up you can guarantee it's going to duck and it's hard to tell where the vitals might be once your arrow gets there.

Only problem there is it seems they are comparing what looks to me to be a mature doe and a yearling, I'd suspect the yearling will have faster reaction just do to the fact that it's younger.

I haven't been able to determine what reaction a deer will have, unless it's already alert. If it's already alert, or keyed up you can guarantee it's going to duck and it's hard to tell where the vitals might be once your arrow gets there.
Yearling or not, there's just leverage to consider. In essence, the forces of gravity only let a deer drop so far if they have their head up, but they can accelerate their torso downward if their head is already down.

Yearling or not, there's just leverage to consider. In essence, the forces of gravity only let a deer drop so far if they have their head up, but they can accelerate their torso downward if their head is already down.

Right, the doe who had her head turned back likely had to get her neck straightened some before her muscles could relax to an extent. I do think a head down would have the deer in a position to drop faster rather than the head up, just from muscles being tense in the neck and back from holding the head up. But I'm certainly no expert on the skeletal muscles to know what needs to be in contraction or relaxed to affect everything else.

Deer jump, no doubt about it.

I think we just need headlights and a horn blaring on our arrows to get them to stand still.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I think that they’re such individuals, that you can’t definitely say one way or the other.

Heck, I’ve killed bucks before that hardly moved and didn’t run, but every deer around them bolted at the shot.

Spend enough time in the woods and you’ll see all kinds of things.

I think that they’re such individuals, that you can’t definitely say one way or the other.

Heck, I’ve killed bucks before that hardly moved and didn’t run, but every deer around them bolted at the shot.

Spend enough time in the woods and you’ll see all kinds of things.
I agree. Here in TX the guys I know who kill a lot of animals tend to aim very low, basically try to shoot them in the heart, and if they duck it's a double lung shot.

JNDEER

WKR

——
I don’t recommend it... but a person down range at 20 yards will have plenty of time to “flinch” at the sound of the arrow as the sound gets there way before the arrow.