Stryker XL

prm

WKR
This is a nice option for the Stryker. I'm very happy with my regular Stryker but I could see a slightly larger version really benefitting some.

VAMountainHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Might explain a couple of Strykers on here for sale and no one jumped on them in .3 seconds like they do most times.

bsnedeker

WKR
I was really hoping it would be up in the 2500-3000 cu range. I would have snapped one up at that size. I admittedly pack too much stuff with me. Tried my buddy's stryker one time and it wasn't even close to big enough for my style.

That said, they are going to sell a TON of these.

VAMountainHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Weird I was getting ready to inquire on one of the used ones for sale on here when the Kifaru email new Stryker XL popped up mid click. I've wondered on the size and being useful enough. The other side of too small is it kind of forces you to leave stuff behind to lighten the load. But if you were supposed to leave it behind why are there so many Pals loops and small bags ?

OP
prm

prm

WKR
I'm not a fan of adding pockets to the outside. I even cringe at some of the marketing pictures. Lids, bane, Sherman, regular pockets, etc. What is the actual bag being used for? I prefer ultralight bags inside the pack bag for my first aid, kill kit, and possibles pouch. Snacks go in the pocket near the top of the bag, wyoming saw in the main bag. I shove my large puffy between the bag and cargo panel. Done. I could see where someone might want their puffy inside the bag. I've had a couple occasions where I had to pause and think about how to fit things inside. Typically when my wife is with me and I have a few of her things too.
With the Xl I could easily have everything inside the bag and have the option of removing my water bottle pouch I currently have on the belt.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm not a fan of adding pockets to the outside. I even cringe at some of the marketing pictures. Lids, bane, Sherman, regular pockets, etc. What is the actual bag being used for? I prefer ultralight bags inside the pack for my first aid, kill kit, and possibles pouch. Snacks go in the pocket near the top of the bag. I shove my large puffy between the bag and cargo panel. Done. I could see where someone might want their puffy inside bag.
With the Xl I could easily have everything inside the bag and have the option of removing my water bottle pouch on the belt.
I'm with you, some of those pics look ridiculous. I've literally LOL'ed at some of the setups I've seen on Kifaru Insiders on FB. My one beef with Kifaru's designs has been their love of adding an absurd amount of Molle webbing on their packs.

I have an old Argali with one small pouch added to the back for my hygiene kit and first aid but other than that everything goes in the bag.

XMP

FNG
I was just planning on ordering a Stryker as an alternative to the Ma Deuce for warmer/shorter situations. Now I'm conflicted on whether the XL is the right way to go, but I worry it's actually too big. I guess options are nice ...

I personally think the XL is going to be the perfect Eastern Whitetail mountain pack. I just placed an order for one myself, the other one was too small with too short of a shelf. This is perfect for saddle hunting or throwing a camp bag in for a backpack hunt. Im super pumped. I get not wanting added pockets because of the weight, I really do. But having easy access to items like calls and rangefinder while tree stand hunting is really nice. My layers change so much through the season here I would rather not get used to pieces of gear on my person, having dedicated pockets for quick items makes life easier. Nalgene pockets to and great because if you keep it on your belt, you either have to wrap the belt around the tree or struggle getting it out while the pack in on the tree. I hate to sound like such a fan boy but I do feel like this is gonna be a huge hit for out east.

I was just planning on ordering a Stryker as an alternative to the Ma Deuce for warmer/shorter situations. Now I'm conflicted on whether the XL is the right way to go, but I worry it's actually too big. I guess options are nice ...
Might just be me but if you are getting this pack its most likely for the versatility. Having it a tad bigger and being able to swap the buckles to compress it just adds to the versatility.

Reactions: XMP
I want one for shed hunting.
Doubt ill get it.as other priorities are greater at this time.
But looks like a great update for me.

Really happy with my regular stryker and have no need for a larger version. I’d imagine it could get pretty floppy without a shitload of straps. That said, I’d love stretchy pockets on the side of mine.

fatlander

WKR
I still wish they would make the bottom on the load sling attach like a load shelf on their other packs. That way you could open the bottom of the sling so a ground blind or strand can be carried through the woods without sticking 1-3 feet over my head. Whenever they do that, I’ll be all over one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
prm

prm

WKR
I personally think the XL is going to be the perfect Eastern Whitetail mountain pack. I just placed an order for one myself, the other one was too small with too short of a shelf. This is perfect for saddle hunting or throwing a camp bag in for a backpack hunt. Im super pumped. I get not wanting added pockets because of the weight, I really do. But having easy access to items like calls and rangefinder while tree stand hunting is really nice. My layers change so much through the season here I would rather not get used to pieces of gear on my person, having dedicated pockets for quick items makes life easier. Nalgene pockets to and great because if you keep it on your belt, you either have to wrap the belt around the tree or struggle getting it out while the pack in on the tree. I hate to sound like such a fan boy but I do feel like this is gonna be a huge hit for out east.
I can see some additions for that use case. Having a pocket that sits open with treestand essentials readily available could be nice. Possibly negate need/use of bino harness? I just received a hunting saddle. Only waiting on the platform and then I'll have everything to give it a go. The Stryker frame seems a bit overkill, but it does offer the option of strapping a gutted doe on the shelf for a trip out!

I can see some additions for that use case. Having a pocket that sits open with treestand essentials readily available could be nice. Possibly negate need/use of bino harness? I just received a hunting saddle. Only waiting on the platform and then I'll have everything to give it a go. The Stryker frame seems a bit overkill, but it does offer the option of strapping a gutted doe on the shelf for a trip out!

I also have a saddle and looking for a nice pack for the tree. I already have a frame and 44 mag and thought about adding the stryker to the mix but heard from others that it can be overkill. Now i am looking at the Shape Charge lol

Exactly what I plan on using it for. I like my Bino Harness and it doesn't get in the way of shooting but I do find myself more comfortable if I take it off while im in the tree. Sometimes I dont bring it at all if im not backpacking.

Wapiti16

FNG
Got my Stryker XL on the way, yeehawwww. Already have a 44 Mag and Shape Charge, the Stryker XL will be my day-hunting/scouting pack out west (when I need a frame) compared to the 44 Mag which is my main hunting pack on western trips.

Also looking forward to using the Stryker XL to train with during the summer. Looking forward to loading the cargo panel with sandbags. Was going to pick up a used Stryker for this, but figured I'd go with the XL because of the water bottle pockets, bigger bag, etc.

I have loved my Stryker! I did have one wish with it, I wanted it larger!

I ordered the XL this morning. I wish they could have got it around 2500ci but I think this is going to be just about perfect.

I personally love having the ability to add pockets, lids etc. imo it’s the perfect pack for even the western hunter!

Wapiti16

FNG
I also have a saddle and looking for a nice pack for the tree. I already have a frame and 44 mag and thought about adding the stryker to the mix but heard from others that it can be overkill. Now i am looking at the Shape Charge lol
Shape Charge is a great pack. I got one last summer and have used it for whitetail hunting/scouting all season. Also used it to travel with a little.

I returned the shape charge because it didn't have a handle on top to hang in the tree. Seems trivial but I made my own with paracord and it just kinda turned me off having to modify it. If I didn't already have the door gunner I would have kept it. I just add a Sherman pocket to the door gunner, and its ok but I think an ultralight frame with the Stryker is gonna be way nicer. It also didn't fit snug to the frame without anything behind the bag.