Stupid idea?

I've been going back and forth on which spotting scope to pick up - should I spend a bunch of money and get a nice one, should I go cheap because I don't have one and I don't know if I'll like it. A common comment is that I should make sure and pick up a binocular adapter for my tripod - and get a nice tripod while I'm at it, because the best optics in the world won't help a shaky tripod. Is it a stupid idea to prioritize a really nice tripod this year with a bino adapter?
The way I figure is that with a fixed budget I'm going to end up trying to spend as much as I can on the optics, and then I won't have much left on my budget for a tripod/head etc and then I'll be frustrated that I'm not getting good results from my optics because the cheap tripod will be letting me down. But if I flip it around, a really nice tripod will improve my current binos, and it'll make basically any scope look good because it'll be so stable. It's also way cheaper to cut weight on a tripod than on the optics. Based on my cursory reviews, it sounds like no one has anything bad to say about outdoors man tripods so that's where I'm looking first, though I'd be happy to hear alternatives.
Is this a crazy idea?

Notes:
Current Binoculars - Steiner Predators 10x42
Hunts - Elk, Deer, Pronghorn
Location - Colorado
Backpack/base camp hunting

Last edited:

WKR
If you're looking for performance on a budget, I think you can do far better than the OD tripods and save the $ for your optics.

But yes, definitely get your current binos on a tripod first.

bloom1gr

FNG
I'm also curious about the 2x adapter for the vortex binos. Just came across that this weekend and feel like it would be sufficient for the money...

Matt G.

WKR
Check you Sirui tripod sale with camerland. I like mine. i just upgraded my tripod. which binos are you running? I think binos and tripod are top priority. what species you hunting and what are ther plans with the spotter?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Figure about $150-$200 for a usable tripod/head like the Manfrotto Element or BeFree. If you want carbon fiber, bump that up to $300. I've never used Outdoorsmans gear, but as you note, it gets good reviews.

I like Manfrotto, and Slik for good quality lower cost options. Sirui, Promaster, Field Optics all make decent options as well.

A tripod will help you with your binocs and is a good first step. I'd borrow a scope if you can, or even rent one to see if you like it. Spotting scopes show their flaws way faster than binocs when you go down in price.

Most lower end ones are only useable below 45X, and some only below 30X. I would go used for a scope if you want to save money, or look for one of the gems out there like the Pentax scopes. The birding forums will tell you what the best value in a scope is.

Jeremy

OP
C
I think binos and tripod are top priority. what species you hunting and what are ther plans with the spotter?

Deer, elk, pronghorn, I currently run Steiner Predators, they're not alpha glass, but I like them a lot.

Figure about $150-$200 for a usable tripod/head like the Manfrotto Element or BeFree. If you want carbon fiber, bump that up to $300. I've never used Outdoorsmans gear, but as you note, it gets good reviews.

I like Manfrotto, and Slik for good quality lower cost options. Sirui, Promaster, Field Optics all make decent options as well.

A tripod will help you with your binocs and is a good first step. I'd borrow a scope if you can, or even rent one to see if you like it. Spotting scopes show their flaws way faster than binocs when you go down in price.

Most lower end ones are only useable below 45X, and some only below 30X. I would go used for a scope if you want to save money, or look for one of the gems out there like the Pentax scopes. The birding forums will tell you what the best value in a scope is.

Jeremy

~$300 is roughly what I was planning for, the Outdoorsman gear is probably double that after you get all the pieces - I figured if it's the "Swarovski" of tripods, than a 2x increase in prices is pretty reasonable given the 5x you'd pay between mid range optics to alpha optics.

The Pentax PF-65A II is actually a front runner on my optics list and I've been watching for used scopes.

You do not need to spend a fortune to have a fully functional tripod and head. But you do need to know exactly what you are going to use it for. You have more leeway if just running binoculars but the options start to dwindle when you want a spotter or be able to mount your rifle to it to shoot. Outdoorsman is nice but realistically it is gross overkill for the bulk of all hunters.

You did not say what binoculars you currently are running. Depending on what you have now, I'd upgrade them as that is what will be used 99% of the time while glassing. Spotters typically only come out to check a specific item. Using a spotter for glassing is a great way to get a head ache and eye strain.

Then figure out what you will be using the spotter for. It is one thing to see if that elk is legal but something entirely different to field judge down to the inch.

You can go a long ways buying used stuff if you don’t mind waiting for a deal. Post up on the classifieds here and look around Craigslist or that Facebook market place and you can likely get better gear all around rather than buying new. Someone just posted a question on priced my stuff and has a nice vortex razor spotting scope at a nice price. All in all you can come out way ahead if you look for some better deals.

spend the most on binos, you will use those the most. Next is the tripod and your money will be spent on a weight to quality ratio for stability. Lastly the spotting scope which you can always upgrade to better glass if you find a good deal and can sell for what you paid for it. That’s just my opinion. Spotter is used the least and unless your trophy hunting binos will be a better investment.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You do not need to spend a fortune to have a fully functional tripod and head. But you do need to know exactly what you are going to use it for. You have more leeway if just running binoculars but the options start to dwindle when you want a spotter or be able to mount your rifle to it to shoot. Outdoorsman is nice but realistically it is gross overkill for the bulk of all hunters.

You did not say what binoculars you currently are running. Depending on what you have now, I'd upgrade them as that is what will be used 99% of the time while glassing. Spotters typically only come out to check a specific item. Using a spotter for glassing is a great way to get a head ache and eye strain.

Then figure out what you will be using the spotter for. It is one thing to see if that elk is legal but something entirely different to field judge down to the inch.
Post above yours he says he's running Steiner Predators.

OP, I run an Outdoorsmans head, but on a Promaster 525 carbon fiber tripod. There's plenty of good tripods that can be had under $250, sometimes you can catch package deals with a head included. Try that route first before you start dropping mega dough on a tripod setup. Just stay away from ultralight flimsy tripods, you'll get annoyed with them pretty quick. A good sturdy tripod is worth its weight in gold.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
C

I should have stuck it in the first post, I've got Steiner Predators, 10x42, I've never felt they've let me down, and I think you folks are right with a good tripod they'd be even more useful. (i'll go edit the first post)

When I evaluated my hunting last year, what gear worked, what didn't, and what I felt like I was missing my biggest place for improvement was finding game. Where I hunt in Colorado there are often places where I could easily see 2-3 miles but hand holding bino's didn't work well for that sort of distance. Hence the idea of a spotting scope - which in turn led to - "why don't I just buy a nice tripod first?" As soon as I get a tripod to support the bino's to find the elk, the next question for the spotting scope will be "is that elk legal?"

Finally - I've been working on my glassing practice - I know I can't buy myself out of this problem. Last year my big item was to get better at shooting, so I bedded my rifle, bought a new SWFA 6x scope and put a bunch of time in at the range. This year, I was ready to shoot and couldn't find the animals...

Most of us learn the value of glass over time and as we come to rely on a spotter more & more, we tend to keep upgrading. Cheap glass will give ya headaches. Take aspirin with you. I have purchased five spotters over the years, my current spotter is a Swaro BTX w/ 65mm & 95mm objectives with an extender mounted to a Manfrotto 410 JR head. Using two eyes, having a head rest and the ability to slowly pan up, down, right and left is just unbeatable. Knowing what I do now...I wish I had listened and got the Swaro first. Buy once-cry once and love using it the rest of your life. JMO

If you are going with binos on a tripod in place of a spotting scope, I would recommend some type of eye shield, like the bino bandit. Makes sitting and glassing for long periods much more comfortable, with less eye strain. And they are only $20. (Other companies make a similar product.)
I have them on Vortez Razor 12x15 when I don't want to also carry the spotting scope.

Bino Bandit