Sub $200 binos for kids

SURVEYOR

FNG
I’m looking for suggestions on a pair of binos for my kid. Either 8x42or 10x42 but leaning towards 10s unless someone convinces me otherwise. I’d like to stay under $200 but do want something with decent optical quality so he will quit stealing my Meoptas. I’m open to suggestions on used models that would fit in that price range as well
Thanks

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’d suggest Vortex Diamondback. Has the warranty for kids, and if you get them used, save you money. Dunno specifically about glass quality of other companies.

Agross

WKR
I would suggest looking at some of the athlon binos. Used you can get em under 200. I’ve had the ares and Midas and like em both. Also picked up a pair of diamondbacks when they were marked way down. The vortex are nice because of the warranty for a kid but both the athlons are better glass to my eyes, no question.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
I have a mint pair of Burris signature HD’s I would sell for 200 shipped. They are 8x which I think are ideal for kids who can’t stabilize as well as an adult.

Attachments

• IMG_7360.png
    IMG_7360.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7361.png
    IMG_7361.png
    706.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7362.png
    IMG_7362.png
    774.5 KB · Views: 31

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider
You didn’t give us an age or build for your kids, so it’s a little tough to be certain, but for a younger hunter, I would stay with 8x for image stability. Those muscles generally won’t have the fine control and strength to stabilize a 10x image for any length of time. For a kid under 10, I would also be looking at 32’s instead of 40’s for size and weight. They’ll fit the hands and balance better.
As to specific models, Vortex all day for the warranty. If you don’t mind surfing the used market, a pair of Viper HD 8x42’s would be a great first pair. I’ve got a set of 10x42’s that have been knocking around in my center console for almost 3 years now and they are surprisingly good for the money.

bnsafe

WKR
I saw some diamondbacks on sale I think at midway but not positive for like 137. I used them for years here in mo and they were fine. If your out west not so much. I ended up giving them to my grandson

OP
SURVEYOR

SURVEYOR

FNG
You didn’t give us an age or build for your kids, so it’s a little tough to be certain, but for a younger hunter, I would stay with 8x for image stability. Those muscles generally won’t have the fine control and strength to stabilize a 10x image for any length of time. For a kid under 10, I would also be looking at 32’s instead of 40’s for size and weight. They’ll fit the hands and balance better.
As to specific models, Vortex all day for the warranty. If you don’t mind surfing the used market, a pair of Viper HD 8x42’s would be a great first pair. I’ve got a set of 10x42’s that have been knocking around in my center console for almost 3 years now and they are surprisingly good for the money.
He is 9 but very tall and lanky for his age

dneaster3

FNG
Agreed with the above.
Vortex Diamondbacks are a good example. Bushnell, Burris, and many others can be competitive as well.

Roof prisms not porro prisms.

8x or even 6x is great for little people because there is so much less mass to hold up and hold still.

For that matter, I think a lot of adult hunters would be better off with 8x over 10x or 12x.
Field of view and clarity trump magnification in most real world scenarios.

BLJ

WKR
I have the Leupold Yosemite 6x30. I’ve read that the Kowa YF II in 6x30 is basically the same binocular.
Myself and the kids have been very happy with the weight, magnification, and clarity.
Especially for the price.
I have no experience with the Diamondbacks but with kids involved I will say that the warranty is very appealing.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for suggestions on a pair of binos for my kid. Either 8x42or 10x42 but leaning towards 10s unless someone convinces me otherwise. I’d like to stay under $200 but do want something with decent optical quality so he will quit stealing my Meoptas. I’m open to suggestions on used models that would fit in that price range as well
Thanks
I came home the other day and my daughter said we (her and my wife) got out your binoculars to look at an owl. This was one day after I got my new to me Meopta B1 15x56. It was a little hard to stay calm....I put them directly in the safe and got a 20 year old pair of Pentax DCF II out that they are free to use anytime..

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

lelliott8

FNG
I would think a 32 would be better to hold with small hands and probably not a big loss in terms of functionality.

fatrascal

WKR
Diamonback binos go on sale every year for about $130, $140 at Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, MidwayUSA, Scheels for about $150. From about now through Christmas. Sometimes the Leupold BH-1's as well. Right now you can go and get Nikon M-3's for $99. on NikonUSA website. Vortex came out with a $100 dollar binocular for kids as well. I can't remember the name of them but they got them. Fatrascal.