Subject Matter Experts on Alaska DIY

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
I've read a lot of great posts about DIY Moose up in AK. Now it's my turn to start planning. 3 buddies and me are looking to do this in 2 years. Right now, we're planning to drive up to AK from the lower 48 and would like to do a moose/caribou hunt. Are there many areas that have population density for both species? We are looking at probably getting dropped into an area once we get up there. We are starting the planning this far in advance to have plenty of time to prep/plan/get gear together, etc. Obviously cost, is going to be the biggest factor. So if anyone here has tips/hints/tricks please let me know. The reason we're driving Vs. flying is because #1 cost, but also, we can take turns driving and make it up there relatively fast. I drove from Anchorage to MT a few years ago with my brother and it was nearly a non stop ordeal. Anyway, another question I would have, is how much time to allocate to this in terms of vacation days? I was thinking somewhere around 2 weeks, which when you subtract travel time will give us around 9 days hunting.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Larry set me and a friend up on a float hunt back in 06 and it was one of the most relaxing hunts i've ever been on. Floated 82 miles in 8 days and took a nice 52" drop tine bull. The man knows his stuff and I plan on using him again in the near future.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I'd love to do this too! I've started the planning process more than once. The problem is, once you start figuring it all out it gets REAL expensive. The flight costs are outrageous. Seems like a trip like this nickel and dimes you to death. Every time I start planning and it starts approaching the $5K mark I begin questioning if it's worth it? Not trying to be a downer, just be prepared to spend twice what you thought it would cost! If you can get it done for way cheaper... let me know how you did it so I can go too!

rayporter

WKR
9 days is the bare minimum to plan.

personally i dont like to be stationary.

the cost will look miniscule in 3 or 4 years. if you keep that attitude you will never go. my first trip cost 3100 total round trip from ohio. the last was 4400 round trip from memphis. get the picture?

I'm interested in this also. I would like to do a hunt in the next year or two.

Liv2Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Myself and a buddy are planning on going in 2016 and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Prefer float trip to see the country but not adverse to drop camp if that would mean greater potential for success. I hope everyone shares their thoughts on this forum as we plan for our hunt.
We are flying into AK to begin the hunt. We plan on having 10 hunting days plus travel on each end.

I have done hunts where we have targeted moose and caribou individually, and one where we hunted for 16 days and tried to do both. I would concentrate on one species for a hunt and then do the other another time.
Its hard to try and find a high concentration of both in the same area and the areas I have found are super expensive for the transportation.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
well, costs have gone up nearly 40% in the last 10 years. supply and demand and rising fuel and insurance costs are to blame. The truth is, if you can't afford it now you won't be able to 3-4 years from now.

IMO, budget $5K per person and save for it like you squirrel away money for something else that's special. In the end, you won't care what you spent after the trip if you have a great time and don't resolve with wasted effort. Plan, prepare, and make it happen.

You can do a moose/caribou float all said and done for that price today, but who knows what it'll cost in 5 years. Expect 5% increases each year.

Thus far my research shows that the areas holding caribou near moose are draw only hunts with low percentage success. 9 days for a moose alone is minimum, mine will be 12 in central AK.