Subsonic Blackout load

OP
menhaden_man
Looking at the above kingshooters.com bullets. It works out to about 24 and 1/2 cents per round including shipping. Is there anything cheaper just for plinking subsonic?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ive also heard of these, but don’t have any experience with them

Pgohil

WKR
Thank you. Those look cheap enough.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
menhaden_man
Just got my hands on some W296... tried 7.2 g at 2.100” with those coated bullets on a suggestion. Pretty dang quiet but I couldn’t get it to cycle every time... going to bump it up a notch and see what happens but this could be the ticket.

JRMiller

WKR
Blackout loads can be all over the place depending on exactly what you want.
Thats one of, if not its greatest asset.
My favorite for sub plinkers is either Gallant 217gr or Eggleston 200gr
I used A1680 as many said it was most reliable and clean for subs, which i think it is, but was told by some that LiL Gun was quieter.
I tried it and sure enough it is. And it requires less powder for same velocity so its economical as well.
Convert .223 cases you find free more or less, .03c for primer, .02c for powder, .13c for bullet, you just reloaded a sub for .18c

DocGlenn

FNG
9.8gr of 4227 behind a Hornady 190gr Sub-X bullet. Shoots well out of a 9" barrel with a can. Would feel comfortable deer hunting with it at 50 yards or less.
And I'm getting 1024 fps.

Last edited:
OP
menhaden_man
Just got my hands on some W296... tried 7.2 g at 2.100” with those coated bullets on a suggestion. Pretty dang quiet but I couldn’t get it to cycle every time... going to bump it up a notch and see what happens but this could be the ticket.

Gave W296 a few more shots... 7.4, 7.6, 7.8, and 8.0 grains (4 rounds each). Still quiet but just won’t cycle consistently like that 1680 does. I may give up on 296 and save the powder for my handgun loads.

Post above has me curious about Lil Gun, maybe I’ll buy a pound of that (my powder selection seems to be growing during lockdown 🤣).

I can get more load data tomorrow. This is an old video I made, specifically to review the noise level. As the title says it's the first video I ever made. I have several sub loads, all work great. That 300 Blkout has never malfunctioned. Hope you enjoy.

OP
menhaden_man
I can get more load data tomorrow. This is an old video I made, specifically to review the noise level. As the title says it's the first video I ever made. I have several sub loads, all work great. That 300 Blkout has never malfunctioned. Hope you enjoy.

What has been the quietest load? 296 seems quieter than the 1680 in mine but I can’t get it to cycle consistently.

Scotch

FNG
Gave W296 a few more shots... 7.4, 7.6, 7.8, and 8.0 grains (4 rounds each). Still quiet but just won’t cycle consistently like that 1680 does. I may give up on 296 and save the powder for my handgun loads.

Post above has me curious about Lil Gun, maybe I’ll buy a pound of that (my powder selection seems to be growing during lockdown 🤣).
Save the W296 for supersonic loads, they are almost as much fun to plink with and better for hunting.

A few years back, I loaded a few rounds of 296 and Lil,Gun after establishing the 1680 as seen in the video. Both the 296 and Lil'Gun loads functioned but my ears told me the 296 was the loudest of the two. Of course this entire subjective and don't let my perception persuade anyone. Now I use the 296 only for my S&W 460. The photo below shows my exact load data I use now with the 1680 and Lil'Gun powders. I have not chronographed these loads as it wouldn't matter to me anyway. My pass/fail criteria was function first and sound next.

IMG_20200520_202317.jpg

So who has a good lil gun recipe I can try?
If you notice I use 4 grains less with Lil'Gun. That's approximately 320 more rounds from a pound can. Next time my friend takes me to his club with a 300 yard range I will bring both my 300 Blkouts and shoot both suppressed for accuracy.

If you're looking for something with some expansion I've had luck with 11.8 grains of Reloder 7 and Hornady 190 gr Sub-X bullets in my 9 inch 300 BLK with YHM Phantom Ti suppressor. Velocity around 1050, cycles, and the botl locks back on an empty mag.

With Hornady 208 grain AMax I use 10.5 grains of Reloder 7. Similar results with velocity around 1050 and the bolt locks back.

As with all reloading subsonic, best to start high, and then work your way down until you reach your desired velocity.

OregonG20

FNG
If you're looking for something with some expansion I've had luck with 11.8 grains of Reloder 7 and Hornady 190 gr Sub-X bullets in my 9 inch 300 BLK with YHM Phantom Ti suppressor. Velocity around 1050, cycles, and the botl locks back on an empty mag.

With Hornady 208 grain AMax I use 10.5 grains of Reloder 7. Similar results with velocity around 1050 and the bolt locks back.

As with all reloading subsonic, best to start high, and then work your way down until you reach your desired velocity.
Excellent info. I use RL-7 with my 208gr BTHP, and want to use with 190gr Sub-X. What COAL are you loading the Sub-X to?

Thanks.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I started by checking the factory load which is 2.070 OAL, give or take a few thousands due to the plastic tip. I followed suit and loaded mine to 2.070. While there is a canneleure I did not crimp these. A light taper is all I needed and I haven't had any issues with feeding or bullet setback.

OregonG20

FNG
Thanks again. I literally just ordered 100 from Midsouth. I run a 7.5 inch barrel, so I will work with them a bit to find the sweet spot, but your info is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk