Suggestions for a hunt?

I can't believe I even have to think about this, but this is a crazy time we're in.

My wife and I have a newfoundland moose hunt booked for September 2021; it's what she wanted for her birthday. Great wife right? Anyway, I'm getting concerned the canadian border will not be open . So I need a contingency hunt. If I knew it was going to be closed for certain I would just get a couple new mexico landowner tags for elk and go that route. But who knows. So with all that said, anyone have suggestions for a high quality hunt that can be put together at the last minute and preferably for a large tasty animal that will really fill the freezer without leaving the US? Thanks for the help!

Scottyboy

WKR
Might not be the popular vote, but Texas can more or less guarantee (a) license (b) game (c) a great experience (d) easy to do last minute

slvrslngr

WKR
Pretty tough to beat Texas for what you’re after. You can pretty much pick what, where, when and how much.

OP
N
I agree Texas might be about the only option. One of the really appealing things about newfoundland moose is my wife can use a rifle and I can bow hunt. I would appreciate any Texas ranch recommendations. Not interested in a "pen" hunt must be a large acreage operation. As far as aoudad goes, are they good to eat? Really want to fill the freezer with some good meat.

Fitzwho

WKR
Leave Aoudad off the list if it’s meat you want.

Nilgai, Bison, Axis, Oryx, red stag, kudu, eland, etc, etc. I know a guy that runs an Outfitting business in Texas that I can send you his info if that’s what you want. Moose is just about the only thing I haven’t seen a hunt for in Texas.

As far as the border being open by next September? I guess it is possible that it may not be, but I would say with the vaccines about to hit, it is much more likely to be open, and probably by April/May.

OP
N
@Rich M never even thought about travel insurance, I really need to look into that. I've really been concerned about sending the outfitter more money (I'm confident they are very reputable) because the bulk of their clientele comes from the US and if the border remains closed for another season they might be out of business through no fault of their own. I could be out of luck recouping those funds.

OP
N
@Mr. October I will read the chronicle of your adventure, thanks for sharing. We are so looking forward to this hunt (my wife has been talking about hunting bull Winkle for over 10 years). I figured newfoundland would be the perfect place to give her a taste of it before dragging her to Alaska, the Yukon or NWT which surely comes with a level of suffering that I relish but she may not find so appealing. I spoke to our outfitter back in September and he said they had so few hunters this season due to the border closing that the moose numbers are going to explode as well as the average age of the bulls. I surely hope we're on that ferry late September next year!

dtrkyman

WKR
Axis deer for meat from what I have heard. OTC elk somewhere. Go to a place like Tennessee an shoot as many whitetail as you please basically.

OP
N
@dtrkyman I think axis deer in Texas is a strong candidate for the contingency spot. That really must be some tasty meat to be held in such high regard.

@Mr. October I will read the chronicle of your adventure, thanks for sharing. We are so looking forward to this hunt (my wife has been talking about hunting bull Winkle for over 10 years). I figured newfoundland would be the perfect place to give her a taste of it before dragging her to Alaska, the Yukon or NWT which surely comes with a level of suffering that I relish but she may not find so appealing. I spoke to our outfitter back in September and he said they had so few hunters this season due to the border closing that the moose numbers are going to explode as well as the average age of the bulls. I surely hope we're on that ferry late September next year!

The nice thing about Newfoundland vs. the Yukon, etc. is that you will surely bring home all the meat. Many of the outfitters in the remote parts of Canada and Alaska donate it to the locals because it is too expensive for hunters to get it home.

And thank you for the kind words. I usually write for my own entertainment but apparently people really enjoyed my little series about my Newfoundland trip.

OP
N
@Mr. October We're all about the meat. We'll be driving from South Carolina and even in September it's not unusual to see temps in the 90's in NC and SC, so I'm thinking about pulling an enclosed trailer on the trip with a couple chest freezers and a generator.

@Mr. October We're all about the meat. We'll be driving from South Carolina and even in September it's not unusual to see temps in the 90's in NC and SC, so I'm thinking about pulling an enclosed trailer on the trip with a couple chest freezers and a generator.

That isn't a bad idea. It might be a little spendy for the ferry but you'd get your meat home easily.

UT has a CWMU (private land )program in which tags for deer, elk, moose can be purchased through the land owner associations. You can find the list of CWMU's in the guide book found at wildlife.utah.gov here you can also find a list of the operators and locations for the available tags. Good luck