Summer Coyote Tactics

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
What’s everyone’s most effective summer coyote tactics? Our neighbors have a bunch of goats and are having coyote issues. Thinking fawn distress or pup distress will be effective.

Most of the coyotes I’ve shot in the summer are while I’m out and about on the farm or after bailing hay and using distress calls.

Venatic

FNG
You’re on right track. I would try vocals first…
a couple howls then watching a while.
pup distress more watching.

Howls to locate and then pup distress should bring them in if they are near.

If you have thermal or night vision I have had quite a bit of luck after dark just being quiet and scanning when I know they’re around, especially if they get call shy.

MBAlex

FNG
A thing to keep in mind is at this time of the year there are lots of very young coyotes on the ground. Using (adult) coyote vocals can scare them off. I like using pup howls to locate.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Stake a goat in the middle of a pasture; sit at the edge. Use domestic stock distress calls if the goat won't make them for you. Teaches coyotes two things: don't mess with the goats; don't come to domestic stock sounds.

Are you in farm country too? Farmer/ranchers are haying like crazy around here and the coyotes are out behind them in the fields mousing to no end. Get to a cut field and use your mouse/rat/ground squirrel squeaks.

Also, I have found that hunting close to roads pays off more this time of year than others - roadkill is easy pickings and young coyotes and lazy parents run roads looking for a quick snack.

And yes, pup distress.

ETA: if it is hot, morning and evening is best [assuming you can't night hunt] but don't overlook treed/shade areas for afternoons, start calling at a quieter level. Several coyotes for me have come from heavy juniper stands in the heat of the day.

Just some options.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
This is exactly the info I was looking for. I purchased my first thermal and hit our ranch a couple of weeks ago. We have several coyotes out and about, but never had a productive stand. I tried coyote vocals and got a response fairly quickly on one stand, but again, never saw anything come in.

When using pup distress, how long do you like having the call run? A minute or two at a time, then wait for a bit?

Venatic

FNG
I normally just play it for about 30-40 seconds wait a few minutes then hit it again and then watch for a while. Normally they come in a hurry but not always.

This is exactly the info I was looking for. I purchased my first thermal and hit our ranch a couple of weeks ago. We have several coyotes out and about, but never had a productive stand. I tried coyote vocals and got a response fairly quickly on one stand, but again, never saw anything come in.

When using pup distress, how long do you like having the call run? A minute or two at a time, then wait for a bit?
Do you know how I get coyotes to stop that are coming in? By muting the call. I used to start and stop. Not anymore.

TheGDog

WKR
They have baby goat calls for eCallers too. Sounds like that would be primo for your purposes since obviously the local yotes would know about those goats being located there.