Sunglasses while Hunting?

Don't normally wear sunglasses while whitetail hunting here in Pine Plantation, USA. But was thinking about taking a pair out west this year. My current Costa Del Mars have polarized lens that are mirror green.

Question: Is the mirror green a no-no while elk hunting? Does it spook them with glare etc? What alternates do you use or recommend?

If I'm hiking in full sun, I'm wearing shades. If I'm in the trees, I'm probably not wearing them. I can't imagine intentionally going without having sunglasses. I can't see through my peep very well wearing glasses so they come off when I'm really hunting.

Rprice

FNG
Ya I'd leave the costa's for the lakes and streams but for sure bring a pair out. Makes me feel cooler when its hot

I avoid wearing anything that reflects light...that one "flash" may be the difference between a successful hunt and a long hike. There are non-reflecting lenses...some even come in camo patterns.

Austink47

WKR
Longwayaround summed it up pretty well. I always carry one of the micro fiber bags sunglasses come with to keep them from getting scratched up in my pack.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I used to wear sunglasses but I haven’t as of lately. Unrelatedly there’s some Oakley flak jackets lying around somewhere in unit 14 CO if anyone has seen them

Gumbo

WKR
I always wear non-reflective sunglasses when hunting except at low light periods or when in a treestand. But they are prescription so I have to wear some kind of glasses anyway.

Just be careful with them. Costas have a tendency to get crushed upon arrival while setting up base camp. It makes it awfully hard to wear them the rest of the trip. At least that is what I've heard......

Cheap pair of gas station shades works just fine for me. Honestly they sit on my hat most of the day unless I’m hiking in direct sun. Still wouldn’t want to be without them though.

*zap*

WKR
I keep Revision Sawflys handy if I think I need sunglasses or the same with clear lenses for walking in the timber or tall brush in the dark. They are a good option with changeable lenses.

MattB

WKR
I never wear sunglasses when hunting, can't imagine what I might miss with the color hue shift. Same general reason I don't use a bow sling.

Phaseolus

WKR
If hunting in snow and sun conditions you’ll want them to avoid snowblindness. That really sucks...so I’ve heard.

I have two pair in a hard case. One pair of polarized non-mirrored, tortoise shell sunglasses, and one pair of clear impact resistant glasses.

After watching Randy Newberg take a poke to the eye while packing in oak brush, the protective eyewear seemed like a good idea.

I would ditch the mirrored green sunglasses. The mirrors will flash and cervid eyes see shades of green exceptionally well. If you have to have mirrored, go with an orange red.

Last edited:
I down with the shades. Costas with green mirror haven’t kept me from
Punching tickets. Thinking about rocking gold Cazals this year and posing for more pictures. Haven’t decided yet.

I always bring sunglasses. I use them the most after it snows and it is really sunny. The glare off of the snow is blinding. I use a cheap Walmart pair that doesn’t glare.