Support for 6.8 western?

ElPollo

WKR
What and when was the last long-term commercially successful cartridge produced by Winchester? By my estimation, it was the 300 WM in 1963. That’s 61 years. I’m guessing Vegas betting lines on the 6.8 sticking around would’ve started at greater than +1000 and would now be in the mid-5 digit range. Not trying to bag on Winchester. Great historic company. But the 6.8 is not a good bet for factory ammo availability or even for the availability of decent brass.

jgraff08

FNG
Man i really doubt it! 30TC and the RCMs were just kind of anemic and didn't really fill any gaps. Nobody really wants a 30 creedmoor (30TC) and the RCM basically had to compete with SAUM or WSM but with only '06 level performance. The stuff released since the creedmoor has all differentiated itself in a way that people actually want. Does anyone actually remember 30TC or RCM hype when they were released? They were duds from the drop.
The spot the rcm filled was rugers model 77 ok so how many customs are done on that? Ruger barely even makes anymore. I would also add a small one to that list the 204 that passed over like a bad fart

Gila

WKR
The 6.8 Western will stick around if for no other reason than it is a short action cartridge with magnum performance. We have good bullet support from Barnes, Nosler, Berger, Sierra, Winchester. Right now Winchester is the only one making brass, however ADG told me the other day that the 6.8 Western is at the top of their consideration list. The 6.8 western is a “one stop shop” for loading up a bullet that you want to shoot. The 6.8 Western is versatile enough to cover just about any Western game you can get a tag for.

AngleAway

FNG
I think the 6.8W will be around, but it seems the 7PRC has a lot more support. I personally haven’t seen 6.8W on a shelf in over a year. That may be regional though. I shoot 6.8SPC and have seen it on shelves pretty regularly, but it’s another caliber with a somewhat minimal following. Im just going to get the brass I need and reload it, ‘cuz it fills a great role for me. Buy what you like and enjoy it!

Gila

WKR
I have been trying to understand what “more support” actually is. I have heard that Hornady supports the 7 PRC better than Winchester supports the 6.8 Western. I honestly don’t understand what that means. From what I have seen the only shooters that want the 7 PRC are those that want to shoot the 180 ELD-M for long range hunting which is what, greater than 600 yards? PRS doesn’t want the 7 PRC because it is too much gun. The mile long club doesn’t want it because it isn’t enough gun. So the only demand, if that is considered support, is from a small group of hunters who are even capable of shooting long range.

If the Hornady support is considered to be in the form of components, there is factory ammo readily available with the 180 ELD-M. However Hornady 180-ELD M bullets for hand-loading are in short supply. Just sayin’.

KenLee

WKR
The 6.8 Western will be here in 10-15 years. The difference between Win and Hornady is that the Win/Browning brand does not need others to make their cartridge as they already have 2 of the most popular rifle lines under the Win/Browning brands. This is why Ruger often teams up with Hornady

There is a myth that Hornady supports cartridges better long term than Winchester. That is very false. Where is the 30tc, 300/338 rcm, 308/338 marlin, and bunch of others Hornady introduced since 2000. Bottom line is Hornady has introduced a pile of poopers they and nobody supports. Everybody forgets about that because Hornady is pouring support into it’s new batch of rounds and they are dumping a whole bunch of new ones hoping some will stick. Reality is 3/4 or more of all the stuff they introduced in last few years will be yesterdays 300 rcm. Not bashing Hornady as they are great but no better or worse than others in this regard. They are just staying in the news with a barrage of new rounds. Meanwhile still can get new rifles and ammo in the Rockslide declared ‘dead’ 270 wsm

Lou
You can get new rifles in 270wsm, but good ammo is hard to find. I bought my first the first year they came out and had 7 at one point. Down to my favorite 4 now. Winchester has left the wsm and wssm hung out to dry, even though I still hunt with the 270wsm at times. The 243 and 223 wssm and 7mm wsm have been reloader only for years.

KenLee

WKR
What and when was the last long-term commercially successful cartridge produced by Winchester? By my estimation, it was the 300 WM in 1963. That’s 61 years. I’m guessing Vegas betting lines on the 6.8 sticking around would’ve started at greater than +1000 and would now be in the mid-5 digit range. Not trying to bag on Winchester. Great historic company. But the 6.8 is not a good bet for factory ammo availability or even for the availability of decent brass.
I think the 300wsm is the best new cartridge to come out in the last 25 years if you like to run light for caliber ammo like I do.
That being said, it's damn hard to find 150 gr splatter bullets like I love to use. The discontinuing of 150 gr NBT and NBT derived Silvertips is a damn shame. Shorter rifle with less recoil and a hair better speed than a 300 Win mag. Devastating bullet to leave em dead right where they stood.

eoperator

WKR
I have been trying to understand what “more support” actually is. I have heard that Hornady supports the 7 PRC better than Winchester supports the 6.8 Western.
Over the past several years berger, sierra, speer, nosler, federal , winchester components and ammo at my local reloading shop have been few and far between. Red boxes have been seemingly plentiful compared to the competition, taking up shelf space where green, yellow and black boxes used to sit.

The mile long club doesn’t want it because it isn’t enough gun.
7prc-190atip will be a solid performer.

If the Hornady support is considered to be in the form of components, there is factory ammo readily available with the 180 ELD-M. However Hornady 180-ELD M bullets for hand-loading are in short supply. Just sayin’.
175eldx (ab g7 .358) & 180eldm (ab g7 .360) are available locally.

I like the idea of 6.8w but quality brass is not available. I will not buy a rifle for a caliber that does not have great brass available.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
The last 6.8 Western ammo I bought was from Mack’s Pairie Wings and it was on sale! Probably not very many go there looking for rifle ammo since it is a waterfowling outfit.

Last edited:
I think the 300wsm is the best new cartridge to come out in the last 25 years if you like to run light for caliber ammo like I do.
That being said, it's damn hard to find 150 gr splatter bullets like I love to use. The discontinuing of 150 gr NBT and NBT derived Silvertips is a damn shame. Shorter rifle with less recoil and a hair better speed than a 300 Win mag. Devastating bullet to leave em dead right where they stood.

The 155TMK is your huckleberry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Was very interested in getting a 7mmPRC for a do it all rifle but recently stumbled acrossed a smoking deal on a 6.8 western. Performance wise either one would do it for me but what I’m most interested in is which caliber do you guys see lasting in 10-15 years? I would hate to buy a nice rifle and not be able to get ammo in 10 years. Are you guys seeing support picking up for the 6.8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP, I personally think the 6.8W is a very cool cartridge. But if you're concerned about "support" for a cartridge, 6.8W isn't for you. Neither are dozens of other incredible cartridges, including several of the WSMs, Weatherbys, or the RCMs/TC cartridges Hornady released since the 1990s. Cartridges that will kill things flat dead very well at any ethical range, that have all sorts of cool advantages to them.

But you aren't stuck with 1990s market realities, either. Your local gun store is the last place you want to rely on for ammo, either for price or availability. Get the rifle you want, in the chambering you want. Then go on ammoseek and buy 2-3 cases of ammo for it. You will then have more ammo for it than most hunters ever use in their lifetime with any given big game rifle, for less than the cost of the rifle and optic. You'll be immune to ammo shortages, and you'll never have to worry about what some local gun store has in stock. If you really want to safeguard your ability to fling 6.8w ammo, get dies, primers, bullets, and powder too.

Unless you're going to Africa and may very well be separated from your ammo in travel, the idea that a rifle's chambering should be decided upon by what the local gun store has in stock at any given time is just not logical. We don't buy your groceries one bag at a time, or our truck tires one at a time. If you like the caliber, just buy the supply of ammo you need online when you buy the gun, and never worry about "support" for the cartridge again.

Unckebob

WKR
I think the 6.8W will be around, but it seems the 7PRC has a lot more support. I personally haven’t seen 6.8W on a shelf in over a year. That may be regional though. I shoot 6.8SPC and have seen it on shelves pretty regularly, but it’s another caliber with a somewhat minimal following. Im just going to get the brass I need and reload it, ‘cuz it fills a great role for me. Buy what you like and enjoy it!

In North Texas, there are not a lot of magnum cartridges on the shelves. Maybe, I will see (1-2) 7RM or 300WM load available on the shelves.

Based upon what is on the shelves we buy a lot of 270.

Last edited:

tony

WKR
Sportsman’s warehouse in Parkersburg, WV
No 7 PRC

Attachments

• IMG_1085.jpeg
    IMG_1085.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 43

wabash503

FNG
With the way the various 6.5s and 7s are taking off, I honestly don't see much in .277 sticking around for long, other than the 270win. The closest local shop to me has zero 6.8 western factory ammo in stock, and my other two favourite shops only have the same two types in stock. Granted we get the shaft up here in Canada. Might be able to make it last handloading, but even then I don't see many bullets available right now that are heavier than 150gr. Kind of a bummer, I think the 27 calibers are pretty neat.

Take this with a grain of salt based on limited observation in Canada, and my general feel of what I see talked about.
There's quite a few 270 bullets over 150 down here in the states. Both berger and nosler have a few hunting and target options. I think it's sticking around. Even with Remington and Hornady purposefully not supporting it and paying their YouTube influencers to talk it down, it's still gaining traction...and independent guys like Spomer really like it. I mean better ballistics than a 7 rem mag or 300 win mag on a short action with less recoil. What's not to like?

Unckebob

WKR
ADG was in the Shoot2Hunt podcast talking about their production schedule. It was very clear that they will be producing some 6.8W within 12 months because people have asked them to do it.

I am buying a 6.8W rifle within the next 12 months. I am looking for the right deal.

With Hornady 7PRC ammo not hitting promised velocity targets, the 6.8W competes very favorable to it ... in a short action.

jgraff08

FNG
ADG was in the Shoot2Hunt podcast talking about their production schedule. It was very clear that they will be producing some 6.8W within 12 months because people have asked them to do it.

I am buying a 6.8W rifle within the next 12 months. I am looking for the right deal.

With Hornady 7PRC ammo not hitting promised velocity targets, the 6.8W competes very favorable to it ... in a short action.
Supposedly now horny day has come and said those velocities were with rl26 and they can't get that but will go back as soon as possible