Support for 6.8 western?

Was very interested in getting a 7mmPRC for a do it all rifle but recently stumbled acrossed a smoking deal on a 6.8 western. Performance wise either one would do it for me but what I’m most interested in is which caliber do you guys see lasting in 10-15 years? I would hate to buy a nice rifle and not be able to get ammo in 10 years. Are you guys seeing support picking up for the 6.8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
With the way the various 6.5s and 7s are taking off, I honestly don't see much in .277 sticking around for long, other than the 270win. The closest local shop to me has zero 6.8 western factory ammo in stock, and my other two favourite shops only have the same two types in stock. Granted we get the shaft up here in Canada. Might be able to make it last handloading, but even then I don't see many bullets available right now that are heavier than 150gr. Kind of a bummer, I think the 27 calibers are pretty neat.

Take this with a grain of salt based on limited observation in Canada, and my general feel of what I see talked about.

nobody

WKR
I give 6.8 western about 2 more years before it’s all but dead. Winchester and Browning built something nobody (proverbial nobody, not ACTUALLY nobody) wanted or asked for. Nobody was loading heavies in the 270 cartridges ever. Nobody asked for the 6.8 western. Plus, they can’t get anyone on board to build ammo to feed the rifles, which leaves you at the mercy of browning and Winchester only. I mean heck, it’s been out how long now, and only browning, Winchester, fierce, and Christensen are chambering the cartridge. And only browning and Winchester are making ammo. Not a good sign.

7 PRC is here to stay, and it’s all because it has the Hornady machine putting the wind in its sales. Hornady does a great job of rolling out cartridges, getting rifle manufacturers on board, and then SUPPORTING the cartridge by supplying the ammo. They saw people asking for and handloading HEAVY 7mm projectiles in their 7 mag and asking the cartridge to do things Remington didn’t design it to do. So, they swooped in and designed something to do it, and did it right from day 1. I’m not a 7mm fan, but if I ever bought another, it would be the 7 PRC.

The reason the 6.8 is a good deal is because it’s a dying cartridge. If you’re cool with it going the way of the dodo and being forced to hand load forever for it then by all means have at it. It’s a cool round on paper, but I’d rather have a 6.5 or 7 PRC long term.

Gila

WKR
Seekins makes rifles chambered in 6.8 Western as well. Barrel makers will spin one up for ya. I bought a prefit barrel off the shelf. Just as much ammo out there as the 7 PRC right now. The 165 LRAB and 175 Gamechanger are popular loads. As of now Winchester, Browning and Choice produce ammo. For handloaders, plenty of bullets available. Brass is only being produced by Winchester as of now but looking for some premium brass to be available by the end of the year.

1000001668.jpg
@Gila there is not "just as much ammo out there" as was discussed in the other 6.8 thread.

This picture was taken at the largest sporting goods store in my immediate area. There is not even a space for 6.8W.

I have also been to two smaller shops, no 6.8 but they do have 7prc.

Ammoseek: 103 results for 6.8/344 results for 7prc.

Midway: 1 6.8/5 7prc.

Most of the 6.8 factory ammo that I can find is also copper. Maybe they should have called it the 6.8 California?

Last edited:

Weldor

WKR
Kinda like the 223 wssm 243 wssm 25wssm. Good shooters but didn't happen.

I’m hoping the 6.8 western hangs around. The ones that have them love them. But I’ve noticed the Winchester/browning likes to invent new cartridges to say they did it first then let it die.
There is talk of ADG developing brass and it being available by 3rd qtr this year. We will see. I need to find a tikka to build off of.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
7PRC is the man bun part deux.

Buy what you want, 6.8W isn't going anywhere, they're both great cartridges. The guys saying it's a bust don't realize how many rifles have already been sold, far more than what's needed to keep a cartridge alive.

I have no issue finding 6.8W ammo locally. Bonus points for not supporting Walmart Hornady.

Nobody was loading heavies in the 270 cartridges ever. Nobody asked for the 6.8 western.
I guess I’ll point out that this heavy for caliber high BC bullet trend is fairly new and none of the .277 offerings had saami twist rates that were to slow. Could you have loaded heavies in a 270win? yes but would they have been accurate? Maybe? But say

Basically all the 6.8 western did is bring a faster twist to the .277.

But saying nobody was loading heavies and/or wanted the 6.8 probably isn’t true. But maybe I misread your comment and you were just talking about yourself in the 3rd person.😉

Last edited:

gerry35

WKR
I give 6.8 western about 2 more years before it’s all but dead. Winchester and Browning built something nobody (proverbial nobody, not ACTUALLY nobody) wanted or asked for. Nobody was loading heavies in the 270 cartridges ever. Nobody asked for the 6.8 western.
I was loading heavies in a 270 Win so when I saw the 6.8 Western I was super excited. It does very well and in happy with it.

Why was the 6.8 western available for a smoking deal?

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.8W being released during a component shortage sure didn't do it any favors.

If good brass ever becomes available, I might buy 100 pcs or so just in case I ever decide to build one.

Gila

WKR
If you look at the load data database, there are only around 26 loads published for the 7 PRC. For the 6.8 Western there are over 330 loads published.

OP
J

Why was the 6.8 western available for a smoking deal?

Yeah i will add context that the rifle is also for sale in 6.5, 6.5 PRC and 300 win mag also. 6.8 western / 7mm PRC was just kind of what i was looking for

gerry35

WKR
Yeah i will add context that the rifle is also for sale in 6.5, 6.5 PRC and 300 win mag also. 6.8 western / 7mm PRC was just kind of what i was looking for

I went for it and like the cartridge, don't think you will be disappointed if you try it. It's accurate with fairly mild recoil and will perform farther than most of us should ever shoot.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.8 Western will be here in 10-15 years. The difference between Win and Hornady is that the Win/Browning brand does not need others to make their cartridge as they already have 2 of the most popular rifle lines under the Win/Browning brands. This is why Ruger often teams up with Hornady

There is a myth that Hornady supports cartridges better long term than Winchester. That is very false. Where is the 30tc, 300/338 rcm, 308/338 marlin, and bunch of others Hornady introduced since 2000. Bottom line is Hornady has introduced a pile of poopers they and nobody supports. Everybody forgets about that because Hornady is pouring support into it’s new batch of rounds and they are dumping a whole bunch of new ones hoping some will stick. Reality is 3/4 or more of all the stuff they introduced in last few years will be yesterdays 300 rcm. Not bashing Hornady as they are great but no better or worse than others in this regard. They are just staying in the news with a barrage of new rounds. Meanwhile still can get new rifles and ammo in the Rockslide declared ‘dead’ 270 wsm

Lou

Unckebob

WKR
If you look at the load data database, there are only around 26 loads published for the 7 PRC. For the 6.8 Western there are over 330 loads published.
and was surprised to see how many loads they published. If there wasn't demand, why would they give it that much space?

Last edited:

jgraff08

FNG
7PRC is the man bun part deux.

Buy what you want, 6.8W isn't going anywhere, they're both great cartridges. The guys saying it's a bust don't realize how many rifles have already been sold, far more than what's needed to keep a cartridge alive.

I have no issue finding 6.8W ammo locally. Bonus points for not supporting Walmart Hornady.
I personally think its a regional thing are u gonna find it in Georgia or ohio for hundred yard whitetail no probably not but its available online and out here theres 4 types of ammo at the store. I also think people are over browning and winchester rifles that are really brownings marked differently my local builder said hes built as many 6.8s as prcs so

The 6.8 Western will be here in 10-15 years. The difference between Win and Hornady is that the Win/Browning brand does not need others to make their cartridge as they already have 2 of the most popular rifle lines under the Win/Browning brands. This is why Ruger often teams up with Hornady

There is a myth that Hornady supports cartridges better long term than Winchester. That is very false. Where is the 30tc, 300/338 rcm, 308/338 marlin, and bunch of others Hornady introduced since 2000. Bottom line is Hornady has introduced a pile of poopers they and nobody supports. Everybody forgets about that because Hornady is pouring support into it’s new batch of rounds and they are dumping a whole bunch of new ones hoping some will stick. Reality is 3/4 or more of all the stuff they introduced in last few years will be yesterdays 300 rcm. Not bashing Hornady as they are great but no better or worse than others in this regard. They are just staying in the news with a barrage of new rounds. Meanwhile still can get new rifles and ammo in the Rockslide declared ‘dead’ 270 wsm

Lou

Man i really doubt it! 30TC and the RCMs were just kind of anemic and didn't really fill any gaps. Nobody really wants a 30 creedmoor (30TC) and the RCM basically had to compete with SAUM or WSM but with only '06 level performance. The stuff released since the creedmoor has all differentiated itself in a way that people actually want. Does anyone actually remember 30TC or RCM hype when they were released? They were duds from the drop.

Last edited: