Suppressor Help: 5" vs 7" cans for Hunting

I went back and forth on this. reached out to TBAC and they steered me toward the ultra 7 as a good all around option. Ordered it with the brake mount to use on a few different rifles. just waiting for the paperwork to clear

Good choice...I went with a ultra 7 first too.

I now have both the TBAC ultra 7 30 cal, and a ultra 5 6.5.

The 5" on my 6.5 creed sounds about like the 7" on my 300wsm. The 7" is quieter on the smaller calibers, but the 5" is adequate for me. The 5" on a short barrel 6.5 or .260 is pretty sweet, but your 7 will perfectly fine and you won't feel too much more length.

JigStick

WKR
Titanium cans throw wicked mirage if your banging away at the range. Fine for hunting. Light weight. Etc. but when I’m banging steel or hammering groundhogs shooting strings I much prefer my non titanium cans

if it’s your first / only suppressor just keep that in mind.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
Titanium cans throw wicked mirage if your banging away at the range. Fine for hunting. Light weight. Etc. but when I’m banging steel or hammering groundhogs shooting strings I much prefer my non titanium cans

if it’s your first / only suppressor just keep that in mind.

Get a good mirage cover and that problem goes away. I personally use one made by ColeTac, but TAB and Armageddon Gear make good ones as well. You shouldn't be pouring rounds through a precision bolt gun anyway. I run my cover all the time, and during 10-12 round 90 second PRS stages I've never had a problem. But after that, you need to let it cool.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
Oh, go with a TBAC ultra 7. I have one and another one on order. The weight difference between the 5 and the 7 is negligible. However you will appreciate the extra suppression with the 7. I run 24" barrels with the 7 and I haven't had a problem with the length.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I would vote for the DeadAir Sandman TI in 30 cal. Its been a great suppressor for me. I went direct thread (5/8x24) and run it on everything from 22 to 30 cals. I know you're not concerned about full auto rating, but it is. Its a tad outside your preferred dimensions, but definitely a great can.

jclonts

FNG
I have a sas ti arbitor. It's real nice on everything from .223 thru 300 weatherby. However it's 8.2" long. Makes my 24" barrelled guns comically long. My next will probably be the Gap Jager or something in the 4-5' range for carrying while hunting.

3GGuns

FNG
I have shot most all of the silencers listed and recommended in this thread. I think Q is building better silencers, especially for precision applications than anyone at this point in time. The Thunder Beast cans are typically much louder than other silencers. If I were dedicating the silencer to the rifle a Half Nelson would be hard to beat.

I got a silencerco harvester and it has been a fantastic hunting can. It’s a little longer than some but nice and light and provides good suppression.

CorbLand

WKR
I got a silencerco harvester and it has been a fantastic hunting can. It’s a little longer than some but nice and light and provides good suppression.

What have you shot it on? This is one that I am considering. Primarily be used on a 7mm/6.5CM/30-06. Just curious as to performance on any of those calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve shot it on 308, 243, and 223ai primarily and it has worked very well. Accuracy improved on all calibers and recoil is reduced significantly. All guns were chopped to 20”

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I have shot most all of the silencers listed and recommended in this thread. I think Q is building better silencers, especially for precision applications than anyone at this point in time. The Thunder Beast cans are typically much louder than other silencers. If I were dedicating the silencer to the rifle a Half Nelson would be hard to beat.

Re your statement the Thunderbeast are louder than other silencers, a link to decibel testing results would be appreciated! Trying to do research and am very interested in the testing of the Q vs the Thunderbeast vs others.

Brado16

WKR
First post on this forum and your bashing the "Gold Standard" for precision cans.... I smell a troll promoting Q....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
Remember, you’re going to be using your suppressor 99.9% of the time NON hunting. Like range shooting. Short cans may look cool and sound cool in theory but they’re sort of a half-measure, imo. If the weight savings between a 5” and a 7” can is going to make a difference in your pack, a guy should just pack some foam earplugs...

When mine got out of jail it never left the barrel. Now, it only sees range use. The extra length and weight - for me - is not better than a pair of earplugs. I've never had a problem putting ear pro on when hunting.

I would go for extra quiet over weight/length reductions. I almost never use the can in the field, including hunting from a blind.

I do use it at the range religiously. The lack of blast and noise make me a better shooter, especially on high volume days.

Sled

WKR
When mine got out of jail it never left the barrel. Now, it only sees range use. The extra length and weight - for me - is not better than a pair of earplugs. I've never had a problem putting ear pro on when hunting.

I would go for extra quiet over weight/length reductions. I almost never use the can in the field, including hunting from a blind.

i mean no offense by this comment but not all hunting is done from the blind. in the woods you may not have much time to put in ear plugs, especially if you are slowly creeping through the downed timber on the side of a mountain. sure, people have been doing it for centuries but now that there's another option....

pros and cons have been talked about before but bottom line is my hearing is important to me and so are my senses in the field. the suppressor helps me keep both.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
i mean no offense by this comment but not all hunting is done from the blind. in the woods you may not have much time to put in ear plugs, especially if you are slowly creeping through the downed timber on the side of a mountain. sure, people have been doing it for centuries but now that there's another option....

pros and cons have been talked about before but bottom line is my hearing is important to me and so are my senses in the field. the suppressor helps me keep both.
No offense taken, I included that comment to explain that I hunt from a blind in addition to mountain hunting.

My experience is that putting in earplugs takes less time than getting a rangefinder out, and I've never had a high probability shot opportunity (one I was pretty sure I could make) that was so fast I didn't have time to put in earplugs. This is true both in a blind and on the mountain.

For me, the extra weight/length that a suppressor brings, along with how it negatively affects the rifles balance is enough of a con that I choose to take the time to put in earplugs.

I wanted the OP to have heard both side of the coin when deciding what type of can to get. If I were doing it all over again, I'd be looking for repeatable POI shift, along with maximum sound reduction and thermal management.

Last edited:
OP
RaggedHunter
I appreciate all of the feedback, certainly no shortage of things to consider before making the plunge. I'm thinking that a can in that 6-7" range would be a good happy medium for my needs, the ~1.75' diameter cans in that 6-7" length are intriguing, not sure how much of a difference that really makes over the 1.5" diameter cans, but I like the idea nonetheless. Length of the can really is a big concern for me, I hunt a lot of thick oak brush and I have some long range rifles with 30" barrels + muzzle brakes, and while they are nice if your perched up on a canyon rim, or just at the range, they are a PITA to drag through the brush and I find myself leaving them in the safe more and more as time goes on. This is probably my biggest hold back for making the plunge into not already buying a suppressor, is just not wanting the added length on my rifle.

The weight and price point of the harvester and the AAC jager are super tempting, but they just flat out are too long for what I'm wanting. I went to a gun shop this weekend and held them up to my rifle and it was just not what I'm looking for. I wish they would redesign the harvester from being 1.37" diameter and 8.8 " long to being 1.75"dia and ~6.5" long and keep the weight and price point.

I am leaning hard right now towards the Ultra 7, trash panda (or half nelson), and the VOX S. The Rebel SOS hunter is a very tempting can also, especially at its price point. I really like the weight and the ability to remove sections to adjust the length, I just haven't found much for reviews on them so I'm a bit skeptical. I've ruled out the sandman ti due to length, and the sandman s due to weight.

Sounds like the Ultra 7 is a tried and true, honestly I'm just hung up on figuring out if some of these other cans can give similar performance at a little less cost. As far as price point and modularity go, the VOX seems like it would be very hard to beat. Their new LUX looks really nice too but again the length is a hangup for me.

Anyone have any experience with the Rebel silencers?
Can anyone speak for the VOX with respect to Long range accuracy and POI shift?

OP
RaggedHunter
What about the omega, it's about the dimensions you mentioned about the harvester.

My appeal with the harvester is mostly its price point and the fact that it's pretty light, but it loses me on its length. You're right, The omega is closer to the length I'm after than the Harvester. However the Omega is a little heavier and also is in a higher price range than the Harvester, which makes it lose that appeal for me. The point I was making earlier was just wishfully dreaming of redesigning the harvester by increasing the diameter and making it shorter but keeping it in that ~$600 range.

Compared to other ~$1,000 cans like the ultra 7 and the Q cans, the Omega is slightly heavier. If I end up buying a ~7" can in that ~$1,000 range, I would personally opt for one of those over the Omega.