Suppressor wait times

ElPollo

WKR
I spoke with my SOT today and he said e-files are averaging 100-110 days from their shop. The downside is that is only based on 4-5 returns from paperwork posted in late January. There is no guarantee that BATF will stay on that schedule, especially given the increase in suppressor sales since e-file became a thing. But it makes me guardedly optimistic that I might have mine before hunting season.

OP
mjs270

mjs270

FNG
Does anyone know the reason why some who filed paper forms are getting approved in 11 or 12 months and others are taking 14 or 15 months? That makes no sense to me at all. Then again, it's the government we're talking about so that was a really stupid question on my part. The government is involved so therefore it makes no sense.

Flyjunky

WKR
I just called and my form 4 trust is still pending. She told me they received my application on April 23rd which means I’m at 13 months. My dad, who bought the same suppressor from the same retailer 3 days before me had his form 4 received by the atf 11 days before me and his was approved 6 weeks ago! Makes no sense to me why there is such a difference when we each have each other as beneficiary’s for the others trust.

I just hit 11 months
I spoke with a guy from Silencer Central the other day, and he said they're pulling guys from the e file system to deal with the massive backlog in the paper forms.
The way he described it there's no orderly preference of reviewing applications by date received.
Basically they grab a pile from the stack and sloooowly start going through them

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just called and my form 4 trust is still pending. She told me they received my application on April 23rd which means I’m at 13 months. My dad, who bought the same suppressor from the same retailer 3 days before me had his form 4 received by the atf 11 days before me and his was approved 6 weeks ago! Makes no sense to me why there is such a difference when we each have each other as beneficiary’s for the others trust.
Thats how I feel, I'm at about 13 months myself and just got my monthly email saying my stuff is "Still being reviewed by the ATF". All the guys I know who bought them around the same time as me have had theirs for awhile. I know I'm not the only on ebut man this is frustrating. When I got mine, I was told 7 months. I realize the retailers are not the ones completely responsible but again, It's getting old.

I know they say to pay for it and just put it out of your mind, I did but now I've been doing that for 6 months longer than I was expecting.

Thats how I feel, I'm at about 13 months myself and just got my monthly email saying my stuff is "Still being reviewed by the ATF". All the guys I know who bought them around the same time as me have had theirs for awhile. I know I'm not the only on ebut man this is frustrating. When I got mine, I was told 7 months. I realize the retailers are not the ones completely responsible but again, It's getting old.

I know they say to pay for it and just put it out of your mind, I did but now I've been doing that for 6 months longer than I was expecting.
Who sends the monthly email? My check was cashed last November and I haven't heard peep since.

nikoavg

FNG
Hoping to get two new suppressors for the trust soon. Hopefully it is around 3 months wait time or less

wesfromky

WKR
Just bought two via silencershop over the last two weeks. They make the process super easy, handling all the paperwork, fingerprints via kiosk, etc. But, it is hard to get support if you need it. Phone lines busy, online chat offline, and a week to get a response via email.

Overall though, they seem to take a lot of the pain out of buying one, just still have to wait. Hoping those 90-110 day waits are still the norm, have 180 days til I need it for hunting....

Lawnboi

WKR
Completed paperwork on Jan 28 2021
Check cleared my bank May 12 2021

Still waiting
That’s a kick in the nuts. I’d not use that dealer again.

I bought my first can at a steal of a price at a bigger retailer, 2 months went by and my check wasnt cashed, called them and it had been sitting in the back. A week and a half later it was cashed.

toehead

FNG
I've been hearing 100-110 days as well. I submitted 2/16 should I should be due for approval at the end of the month or early June.

Does anyone know the reason why some who filed paper forms are getting approved in 11 or 12 months and others are taking 14 or 15 months? That makes no sense to me at all. Then again, it's the government we're talking about so that was a really stupid question on my part. The government is involved so therefore it makes no sense.
It's the goverment...I submitted my 30 cal can and then 4ish months later decided to get 22 dedicated can so I submitted...the approval stamps on the forms were a day apart, approved by different reviews, picked them up from my dealer on the same day....there is literally no reasoning to approval times. Like most things days don't waste resources on figuring out the why...even If you find out why the answer isn't going to make any sense.

If you got a state CC permit these should sail right through.....but they wont let that happen.

"The govt is here to help!"

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Picked up my can today. Shop told me the "new" system is averaging 90 days. Far cry from 15 months