Suppressor wait times

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
On mine, I’m listed as the settler, my wife is listed as recipient settler.

But she’s never been asked to fill out a questionnaire or provide fingerprints.
Yeah, settler is not a responsible person, only the trustee. My understanding is it should not make a difference. Again, that is a lay person understanding, and probably worth what you paid for it.

I can see someone at the ATF getting mixed up.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah, settler is not a responsible person, only the trustee. My understanding is it should not make a difference. Again, that is a lay person understanding, and probably worth what you paid for it.

I can see someone at the ATF getting mixed up.
They also have me as an initial trustee. Whatever, I’m going to keep positive thoughts as it’s out of my hands. I’m going to assume there’s no problem since I’ve got 5 other silencers with no issues.

mmw194287

WKR
Q. Are there other factors other than the review process that result in longer processing times for trusts?
o Failure to submit a valid trust, e.g., there is only one person named in the trust who is the settlor, trustee, and beneficiary;

This (from the new FAQs) has me a little nervous. I went the Silencer Shop Single Shot route for two cans in December/January, and I don't believe there's any name on the trusts other than my own. Pretty frustrating...

And I can't find my apps on my eform profile?

Last edited:

Wyo_hntr

WKR
So I'm guessing I screwed up by going the "single shot trust" route instead of the individual?

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
My 3 cans have all been the single shot trusts, all averaged about 6 months for approval.

I certified another SS trust on 2/3, but wishing I would have gone individual now after seeing the quick approvals. Can’t do anything about it now, except wait.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Q. Are there other factors other than the review process that result in longer processing times for trusts?
o Failure to submit a valid trust, e.g., there is only one person named in the trust who is the settlor, trustee, and beneficiary;

This (from the new FAQs) has me a little nervous. I went the Silencer Shop Single Shot route for two cans in December/January, and I don't believe there's any name on the trusts other than my own. Pretty frustrating...

I’m listed as the settlor/initial trustee and my wife is listed as the successor trustee. It’s worked 5 times so far. Fingers crossed.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My 3 cans have all been the single shot trusts, all averaged about 6 months for approval.

I certified another SS trust on 2/3, but wishing I would have gone individual now after seeing the quick approvals. Can’t do anything about it now, except wait.
I’m thinking about buying one as an individual just to see.

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Stupid question, how do I know when I can go pick up my suppressor? It’s been a year and this is my first 1.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
If you filed electronically, you will get an email from the ATF Eforms system saying Status Changed to Approved. When you get this email, call your dealer to let them know and then they can release your can to you.

wesfromky

WKR

Your form 4s won't show up under your profile, only the dealer.

I would need to go look at my SS single shot trust, but I believe the beneficiary will be listed as your estate or executor, so not the same person for all three.

Last edited:

GA284

FNG
I just bought a Bannish Backcountry and a Banish 46 thru SC on Saturday.....did the FP's right there and today got all the e-paperwork in my e-mail. I suspect since I already am in the NFA system it might be quicker than otherwise. I guess we will see.
Hey man , I don’t think that makes any difference.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
This flurry of quick approvals has me thinking about ordering a second Sparrow. I never thought swapping hosts would be a chore but it would be nice to have a pistol and rifle on the ready at the same time.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Your form 4s won't show up under your profile, only the dealer.

I would need to go look at my SS single shot trust, but I believe the beneficiary will be listed as your estate or executor, so not the same person for all three.
Went and looked at mine. I am listed as the Trust Maker and initial Trustee, and the only responsible person identified in the trust agreement.
Successor trustee is the executor of my will.
Beneficiary is the heirs according to my will.

Geewhiz

WKR
Went and picked up mine from my dealer yesterday and started talking about all the quick approval times. He said they had a same day approval recently. 😲 that lucky dog

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Mentioned the quick individual approval times to my FIL yesterday - he decided to buy two cans. Curious to see how fast he might get these approved.

mtbraun

FNG
Transfer to a beneficiary requires a tax stamp, legally I would say the ATF is in error if they require beneficiaries to have a NICS check. My children are beneficiaries, they cannot own the items and cannot be responsible persons for an NFA item at present, the purpose of the trust is to hold those items for them until they can.

RP is responsible person. A trustee is a responsible person, the settler (person creating the trust) and beneficiaries are not.

That is my lay person understanding.
How does SC get away with having trust owners establish co-trustees after the initial approval, and say they have all the rights of the initial trustee? I don't get it, and it seems way too easy.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
How does SC get away with having trust owners establish co-trustees after the initial approval, and say they have all the rights of the initial trustee? I don't get it, and it seems way too easy.
That would be a question for a lawyer. Trusts are legal entities within the law, like corporations, just like a corporation can add an employee, so a trust can add a trustee, the mechanics of that depend on state law and the terms of the trust.