Swaro ATC vs ATS

ofl0926

WKR
I’ve read the reviews on the ATC and ATS. So looking at price, it’s a few hundreds difference.
Eye relief is amazing with the ATC. Weight goes to the ATC. But for a few hundred more you get bigger objective, weight penalty isn’t much, field of view.
Just wanted your guys take on these two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked through both (both new) on tripods after sunset. I’d give the nudge to the 65 in brightness but not by a lot. That little swaro spotter is very impressive.

I’d recommend looking through them before buying. For example, the 65 and 80 get high praise but I just can’t see more than 3-5% better than my gen 1 razor 85. I want to like the 65/80 ATS but my eyes just don’t see the difference.

I went through this same debate. First nice spotter so I wanted to make sure I really thought about it. My personal opinion was that I figured I’d carry the ATC over the ATS more often due to the weight so went with the ATC. I really like it so far. Also, my main target is elk so even the ATC should do the job.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
I looked through both (both new) on tripods after sunset. I’d give the nudge to the 65 in brightness but not by a lot. That little swaro spotter is very impressive.

I’d recommend looking through them before buying. For example, the 65 and 80 get high praise but I just can’t see more than 3-5% better than my gen 1 razor 85. I want to like the 65/80 ATS but my eyes just don’t see the difference.

I’m thinking the 65 with the wide angle lens

Jbuck

FNG
I went through this same debate. First nice spotter so I wanted to make sure I really thought about it. My personal opinion was that I figured I’d carry the ATC over the ATS more often due to the weight so went with the ATC. I really like it so far. Also, my main target is elk so even the ATC should do the job.

This is where I found myself. I wanted something to replace the Leupold GR HD 12-40x60mm I always threw in my bag and was worried that the ATS would be too large and I'd leave it if more often. So I went ATC and after mule deer season I'm glad I decided on the ATC, with the RRS Cinch and marsupial gear case it was about as much as I could have fit in my bag. I might regret going ATC over STC though.

HenChamp

FNG
Classified Approved
ATS is much better, IMO. I am going to post mine for sale here soon, already posted to BirdForums.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Another option I might consider is the new Kowa tsn663. Just saw the review on it from S and S

HenChamp

FNG
Classified Approved
What are you asking?

$1875 with extras — https://www.birdforum.net/threads/l...ith-25-50x-wide-angle-eyepiece-extras.447009/
It's basically brand new. Just got it in August. I am a birder, not a hunter, and tend to not need the scope while out birding. It's been used twice since August and can't justify keeping it, but it is excellent. I also have a Wiser nighthawk head I would sell separately for half off ($150). Trying to get my post count up here to list it :)

Jbuck

FNG
This is a fun game of optics creep. Sorta like budget creep. For just a little bit more I can get more. I think you need to decide on what you actually want and go for what fits. My buddy has a kowa 99 for the truck and absolutely blows my atc out of the water. But it is the last scope I'd want to pack around.

The pictures of the scopes on the review on here pushed me towards the ATC. The ATS wouldn't fit in my pack. Go with the largest objective you can and you will be happy.

download (1).jpeg

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased my first spotter this year and went with the ATC. I primarily back pack hunt and am a meat hunter. Anything larger wouldn't fit in my pack, especially as the weather changes

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
This is a fun game of optics creep. Sorta like budget creep. For just a little bit more I can get more. I think you need to decide on what you actually want and go for what fits. My buddy has a kowa 99 for the truck and absolutely blows my atc out of the water. But it is the last scope I'd want to pack around.

The pictures of the scopes on the review on here pushed me towards the ATC. The ATS wouldn't fit in my pack. Go with the largest objective you can and you will be happy.

View attachment 617940

I’m set on a a 66 or smaller. I have a Kowa 883 but that is a tank of a spotter. I figure the kowa 663, swaro ATS is a great compromise between all the sizes.

HenChamp

FNG
Classified Approved
I will shoot you a DM once I get enough posts.. or find me on BirdForum, but I am serious about making a deal if interested.

Jbuck

FNG
The new kowa tsn-66 looks like a good option if your good with the 66mm size. I'm pretty sure it replaced the 663 this summer with upgraded glass.

When I was looking it was mentioned several times that the ATS was better now then it was before with no new designation. So I didn't do enough research on it and decided I would only buy new in order to get the latest and greatest glass.