Swaro Bino Question.

4skn

FNG
Trying to decide between NL Pure 10x42, 12x42, and the EL 10x42. And if a forehead rest is needed with the models.

I can’t imagine not being happy with any of them, I have the NL 12x and have not tried the forehead rest, they are actually not that bad off hand, maybe the rest makes that better, but I haven’t found the need myself, even with 12x

What type of hunting are you doing? I would try to narrow down what magnification best suits you, then worry about models. I would guess if you end up with 10x, and used the el and NL together, you would want the NL, but some seem to not like the ergos of the NL, they are different, didn’t know if I liked it or not, but once I got used to it, it made sense, I like the ergos a lot on the NL after spending some time with them

If you are trying to budget, and spend money in other places, the EL is incredibly good, and makes a lot of sense… they certainly aren’t a handicap vs NL

OP

4skn

FNG
Thanks for the reply. 90% of the time will be used on whitetail. I enjoy driving around and scouting from roads so that's where I was considering the 12x42 NL. I know most of the time in the woods my line of sight maybe only at 200 yards so that's where I went back to the 10x42.

Thanks for the reply. 90% of the time will be used on whitetail. I enjoy driving around and scouting from roads so that's where I was considering the 12x42 NL. I know most of the time in the woods my line of sight maybe only at 200 yards so that's where I went back to the 10x42.
I think you would be happier with 10x, you can see well a long way off with good 10x, and most of your glassing inside 200yds the 10x will shine

If you could get the chance to compare 10x EL and NL side by side, that would answer your question, the NL has a little better edge clarity (splitting hairs) and more fov, which is the biggest improvement over the EL, and the image does seem a little more crisp on the NL but I wouldn’t put much into that, it’s probably just a bias hypothesis of what I think it should be, haha… if there is a difference, it’s not very significant.

I think it comes down to are you willing to pay the price difference for the better fov? It’s certainly noticeable

OP

4skn

FNG
Thanks for the insight. I was leaning towards the 10x for those reasons. I'm getting a smoking deal on either one so if I'm not happy with them I'll be able to at least break even.

FOV @ 1000 yds:

EL 10x42: 336 ft
NL 10x42: 399 ft
NL 12x42: 339 ft

I am coming from a set of El Range 10x42 and just got the 12x42. I was actually leaning towards the NL 8X or 10X until I started looking at the FOV stats and reading reviews/watching youtube videos.

When I first got the 12s out of the box and looked through them, they were hard for me to stabilize and my first reaction was that I made a mistake and should have gotten the 10s. The forehead rest showed up the next day, and wow, gamechanger. Now every time I look through them I am patting myself on the back for getting the 12s. Same size and weight as the 10s as well.

Good watch here:

atmat

WKR
For your needs, I think the 10x make more sense.

One thing about the ELs is that they’re easier to find really good used deals right now (although I know you said you’re getting a good deal regardless). I just picked up a 2020 set of like-new 8.5x42s for $1550.

I would recommend 8x vs 10x. I hunt in Tennessee in the woods and fields and 8x has plenty of magnification, a larger exit pupil for a brighter image in low light, a wider FOV and a more steady image. My best pair are 10x42 Conquest HDs right now and I am getting 8x NL Pures. I often carry my 8x Nikon Monarch 7s along with my 10x Conquest HDs and I prefer the 8xs over all for hand held performance. I sit in box blinds over 800 yard fields and I can see all I need to see with 8x with a steadier image.

OP

4skn

FNG
I would recommend 8x vs 10x. I hunt in Tennessee in the woods and fields and 8x has plenty of magnification, a larger exit pupil for a brighter image in low light, a wider FOV and a more steady image. My best pair are 10x42 Conquest HDs right now and I am getting 8x NL Pures. I often carry my 8x Nikon Monarch 7s along with my 10x Conquest HDs and I prefer the 8xs over all for hand held performance. I sit in box blinds over 800 yard fields and I can see all I need to see with 8x with a steadier image.
I used to have some vortex 10x42s and didn't seem to have any problems with them as far as too much magnifications. Like I said I'm getting a great deal so it won't be hard to move them if I want something else.