Swaro EL tripod and mount

codym

WKR
So I've never been much of a glasser, I'm ADD, like to hike and have always had shit glass that gave me headaches. I want to become proficient in this skill especially for coues deer. I'm buying a set of 12x50 El's for my main do everything glass. I may get a set of 8's at some point for archery elk but we will see. Anyway I searched and everything I found was a couple years old but didn't realize you can't use a stud on the EL's like I thought you could. What is everyone using? That universal adapter from swaro with the band? Next is tripods. I know nothing about tripods. I have a bog pod I bought for the kids I take turkey hunting but other than that I have no experience. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The tripod will be for the bino's and possibly a small spotter down the road for range work. I backpack hunt to the lighter the better.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Cody,

Feel free to give me a call. We specialize in backpack hunting gear. I can kinda walk you through some of the better gear that we use, what we like, what we don't like.

rob
208-495-4222

Sadler

WKR
Outdoorsmans can press in a stud that will allow you to mount it on a tripod. The only downside is (I think) that it’s only compatible with their panheads.

tdhanses

WKR
I have had both the outdoorsman stud installed in EL’s and used the outdoorsman bino hand, personally the bino hand is the better option and works very well and you won’t have to mail your binos off.

Problem with the stud is if you sell your binos you will not receive a premium for having the stud installed, so the cost just isn’t worth it. The bino hand you keep and can use on any bino. Also if you buy multiple binos the bino hand can be used on them all, if you get the stud installed your stuck to only that bino unless you get a stud installed in all your binos.

Bino Hand

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Outdoorsmans can press in a stud that will allow you to mount it on a tripod. The only downside is (I think) that it’s only compatible with their panheads.

Naw any qr plate can be installed to their mount or adapter.

OP
C

codym

WKR
Thanks guys. Rob I will give you a call next week to talk, I appreciate it.

So I read about the Outdoorsman stud and was wondering if that was still basically the only option. That was a concern right off the bat spending 3K on binos and then sending them out to be modified.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member

The outdoorsman's post has a thread on the bottom for other tripods. I use a ball with my outdoorsman's stud and post.

A11rNuy.jpg

As for the universal adapter, for the price, just get the stud installed. I used the Leupold one for a season, here Its worth what you pay for it. I found it to be unstable if I put my hands on my binos while glassing. If you're good at not putting pressure on your binos, it will work just fine, just not great. At the end of last season, I sent my binos to outdoorsmans and got the stud installed. I'm glad I did. (Outdoorsmans are now a sponsor, I think they have a rokslide discount).

For the tripod, I run the slik 634 CF and its been great. I'm 6' and I can stand and glass with it maxed out. I would reach out to Rob at S&S on that one.

tdhanses

WKR
The outdoorsman's post has a thread on the bottom for other tripods. I use a ball with my outdoorsman's stud and post.

A11rNuy.jpg

As for the universal adapter, for the price, just get the stud installed. I used the Leupold one for a season, here Its worth what you pay for it. I found it to be unstable if I put my hands on my binos while glassing. If you're good at not putting pressure on your binos, it will work just fine, just not great. At the end of last season, I sent my binos to outdoorsmans and got the stud installed. I'm glad I did. (Outdoorsmans are now a sponsor, I think they have a rokslide discount).

For the tripod, I run the slik 634 CF and its been great. I'm 6' and I can stand and glass with it maxed out. I would reach out to Rob at S&S on that one.

The stud is good but expensive when you add the cost of stud/install, shipping binos and cost of adapter. The Outdoorsman Bino Hand is rock solid. After doing the stud install and then having a bino hand, both are solid setups.

Outdoorsmans

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Cody!

The EL 12x50s are an awesome piece of glass and you won't be disappointed in them one bit!

As for the Stud Install, it is the best option for the ELs on the market right now, in our opinion. The great thing is every pair of ELs we sell the stud install is included in the purchase. With you being in New Mexico you will also get out of paying tax and shipping on those as well!

Also, the EL 8x32 with the stud install and mounted to a tripod are a phenomenal piece of glass.

If you have any other questions on any of our gear please give us a call at 1-800-291-8065.

Thank you and have a great day!

Outdoorsmans-- and if you haven't bought your Swaros yet then give them a call because you can order the whole set up from them and theres no shipping back and forth. I run their micro pan with the tall adaptor and have the stud in my 10x42 ELs- you won't be disappointed. It's a slick system, easy to get binos off your chest and onto the tripod to start glassing.

I also have the gun rest "V' for the micro head and another quick detach that goes on my spotter (Zeiss Dialyt 65mm) and it handles that just fine. I'm running all that on top of a Slik 634cf tripod.

Is there an actual reason Swaro does not put a stud on on ELs ? It makes zero sense that the best binos money can buy don't come with a tripod stud. I have the El range 10x42 and use the swaro universal adapter and I hate it. Its a big clunky pile of shit.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased the 12x50 EL’s from the Outdoorsmans this summer. I had them install the stud and use their short adapter on a micro pan head. I really like this system and the glass is amazing. I would highly recommend it.

4KDOA

FNG
kramer or KDC also offers stud and install. We use and prefer Outdoorsmans on all of ours. No personal experience with Kramer but have read good reviews. Good luck.

tracker12

WKR

The press in stud is comparable with there bino adapter but you can use what ever pan head you like. I just purchased one for my Swaro's.

Hoot

WKR
Timely thread, if I send in my el next week do you think I’ll have them back by November?

Also, anyone tried the ring adapter?

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
I made the switch to the ProMaster XC525C tripod and picked up the Outdoorsmans Pistol Grip, panner, tripod adapter and got the stud installed for those exact optics. Great set up. If I pick up a larger spotting scope at any time in the future I might get a panhead as well but for now that setup is excellent.