Swaro NL Pure 10 vs 12 for Alaska

wiz329

FNG
I just wanted to post an update. I ended up going with 12's after being able to snag a new pair up cheaper than 10's. I figure I could always trade into a pair of 10's if I want to swap it up. I bought the forehead rest after a few trips out to see if it would help me steady the glass. I was actually surprised how well the forehead rest works. I find it odd that the rest does not snap all the way in the binos though. They have been a fantastic addition for moose and caribou so far this year.
Any updated thoughts after having them for awhile?

Siggy111

FNG
I’ve had zero issues, or regrets. I find the 12’s being my go to glass for Alaska, or viewing MTN ranges in the west. So far I’ve been pretty happy. I haven’t really noticed, but maybe a few minutes are lost at dusk and dawn over my 10’s. It’s not a deal breaker for me. I find I grab the 12’s over my 10’s for most everything. Good luck.

wiz329

FNG
I’ve had zero issues, or regrets. I find the 12’s being my go to glass for Alaska, or viewing MTN ranges in the west. So far I’ve been pretty happy. I haven’t really noticed, but maybe a few minutes are lost at dusk and dawn over my 10’s. It’s not a deal breaker for me. I find I grab the 12’s over my 10’s for most everything. Good luck.
Thank you! I'm leaning towards going 12's.

OP
P

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing I regret is not getting good optics years ago. The NL's are a pleasure to look through. I've added the 115 + the ATX since then. Have not got to use it much yet, but it was awesome for looking at goats last year. I probably will end up getting some 10's for my wife at some point. She started a new job and is finally getting enough PTO to go hunting again. I don't think you'd be upset with either the 10's or 12's.

NL 12’s….with a headrest, along with installing a stud, for mounting on a tripod. From my perspective, this setup gives me maximum versatility at a very minimal weight penalty (a couple ounces).

ben@bpetersondds

Lil-Rokslider
NL 12’s….with a headrest, along with installing a stud, for mounting on a tripod. From my perspective, this setup gives me maximum versatility at a very minimal weight penalty (a couple ounces).
This is what I have done for years. But, now wondering if the 10s may be better with that new little swaro spotter riding in my pack?

This is what I have done for years. But, now wondering if the 10s may be better with that new little swaro spotter riding in my pack?
Considering the NL 10 and NL 12 weigh the same, the decision boils down to differences in magnification, field of view, etc. Also, I generally always carry a spotter (ATX/BTX 95mm). So, my choice of bino magnification has been independent of carrying a spotter, or not. However, I recently picked up an STC, for times when I want to leave my big glass on the spotting knob, to be able to stalk fast and light. Yet, still have a little more magnification than my binoculars, if I need to relocate the animal during the stalk.

I've always used 10X42's - mostly several Leica models but also Swarovski EL's and Zeiss (been at this for almost 50 years now). This last year I bought the Swarovski NL 12X42 because their field of view was LARGER than the FOV on any of my 10X's. For open country hunting as the OP described in Alaska (which is where I mostly use mine) I believe the NL 12X42 is the best choice. The ergonomics are great too but the FOV is what sold me.