Swarovski EL Range w/ Tracking Assistant

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
d677c57ddb995b5634e502ecbaef7c6b.jpg

I received mine last week. I’ve had my first pair since 2014 and they’ve been pretty much flawless. I don’t like to carry a dedicated rangefinder (RF) so the combo optic is best for me. The RF never malfunctioned in 7 seasons. Use-days gotta be over 500 and they’ve never been back to factory. Only complaints are lower limit of 32 yards and the measurement button was on left side .

The new EL Range with Tracking Assistant (TA) remedies both those issues (I’ve ranged down to 12 yards) and right-hand measurements are a cinch.

Swaro’ also added an app connectable via Bluetooth with ballistics bringing it up to current offerings by competitors. I’m surprised it took them this long.

As I’m not a long-range hunter, my main interests in testing the EL is for the optical quality vs. previous Gen and the TA.
e235a176572c5ca1500a71af369b97c1.jpg

27186e8ac3ebfe7da4344bac20c9a73e.jpg

I took mine in 8x which could go the way of the mullet but it wasn’t all that long ago I had one
of those too. Seriously, I hike as much as I glass so have always preferred 8x but 10x are much more popular.

I opened mine on Friday night and spent a full hour reading the instructions. There are only two buttons, Measurement on top right
dc9c308346b88d299ed3c14ad4dab9e8.jpg

and the Mode button, bottom left barrel.
0b2cc389efcc78df17ba007b5f29b547.jpg

you operate it with your left thumb while holding the Bino to your eyes.

I’m ADD and really struggle with reading directions and applying what I read—always have. So to say I was frustrated was pretty normal. Just struggled figuring
out the multiple combinations of mode/measurement buttons press sequences to set up the binos. Willing to bet you techy/engineer people would cut that hour to 30 minutes or less.

The next morning I headed for the hills but with blizzard conditions, couldn’t glass. So I spent another hour trying to figure out the TA.

If you’re new to the concept of the TA, it’s designed for you to be able to essentially drop a point with the rangefinder, and then be able to walk to it with reasonable accuracy. This would be handy in the case of locating a downed animal, last location of an animal you shot at, or, stalking a stationary animal when you’re forced to lose visual contact.

(Yes, this brings more technology to hunting and I know they’ll be some critics. But my job for the review is to evaluate how the TA works, I’ll leave the ethics out of it for now. Having information like this will be the only way to have a discussion on the ethics of it anyways.)

So back to the learning curve. I was two hours into using the optic and still had not been able to understand the TA. I would range an object, walk directly to the object so I knew I was in the correct position, yet the TA would indicate I was hundreds of yards off in some cases.

Well if any of you have ever looked at a Swaro instruction booklet, you might know they’re definitely not written by Western US hunters. I was happy to see that they even had words in the booklet. I’ve owned a few optics that were just multilingual pictures which were sort of frustrating.

What I finally figured out is the order of the instruction booklet puts the operation of the TA before the compass calibration. At my peak of frustration, I calibrated the compass, and that fixed the TA. I was able to range objects from 250 yards to 690 yards and with pretty good accuracy, used the TA to walk right to them.

I used both the app with the TA, which would be functional when you’re in cell service, and the Bino only for times you’re out of cell service. Of course that app makes it so simple, but it’s still pretty easy to use with the bino only.
a0402c4b32c525b4b615d36fb1b5b498.png

43c43eba9100bcbc3662a9771b6c66a0.png

These are a couple of screenshots I took while using the app. The bottom one shows how close it got me to a known object. 8 yards would be pretty close coming from hundreds of yards away.

Actually, I used a vehicle for the longer yardages, and discovered something else. You can’t use the TA in the vehicle, and the instructions even say if you have it within 16 inches of your rifle barrel, it may be inaccurate due to compass interference. So I always had to step away from the vehicle to get it to work.

So far I give it a thumbs up. I want to test it more on actual animals and up and down terrain. If you’re interested in this review, hit the watch button upper right and you’ll be updated when I post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

handwerk

WKR
Thanks for the report thus far Robby, as I long time BRF user the new El Range peaks my interest, even though I don't have any interest in all the ballisitc gack, I like they put the read out in the right eye and improved the optics. I'll be following along . Do I understand correctly if you don't want to use the TA it won't show up optically?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the report thus far Robby, as I long time BRF user the new El Range peaks my interest, even though I don't have any interest in all the ballisitc gack, I like they put the read out in the right eye and improved the optics. I'll be following along . Do I understand correctly if you don't want to use the TA it won't show up optically?
yes you can simplify the read out and leave the TA out of it, and even the ballistics. It’s just like my old EL in that mode: actual distance, and shoot to yardage.

Which reminds me, I liked the read out in the previous generation better, the digits were bolded, they’re a little finer now and I’m colorblind so it makes it harder for me to see them. But there still OK if I turn it up to level 5 brightness.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
good to know, thanks. Do you see an improvement optically vs. your gen. 1 El Ranges ?

not yet, but I have not put them side-by-side. I plan on doing that and I will post it on here.

that brings up a question, do you. or anyone else know if this TA is the third generation of EL range? Or the second? I got my originals in 2014 and I’m honestly not remembering if they were GEN two or GEN one.

Last edited:

Flogger

FNG
Great review.
In a bow hunting scenario where an animal surprises you, do you feel like doing a quick range and going to straight to shooting, is made slower with range finding bino’s vs a small rangefinder?
I know we are potentially only talking about milliseconds of difference but I’m curious what your thoughts are.
Thanks!

handwerk

WKR
Robby, the first had the old strap hookup and rectangle button, 2nd went to the field pro strap and round button.
The swaro rep I talked to last month said the new El Range now has "swarovision glass".

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great review.
In a bow hunting scenario where an animal surprises you, do you feel like doing a quick range and going to straight to shooting, is made slower with range finding bino’s vs a small rangefinder?
I know we are potentially only talking about milliseconds of difference but I’m curious what your thoughts are.
Thanks!
Hi
not at all. and even if it were a tad slower, you'll lose that time fumbling around between grabbing binos or RF, in my experience anyway. Once I went to combo RF/bino, I can't ever see going back to a dedicated RF. More weight, more gear, more gadgets. But I'm a simple man.

thanks!

Flogger

FNG
Yeah I really like the idea of RF bino’s and being able to cut weight, bulk, etc..
I’m a simple guy myself and keeping things simple is usually a good thing in my book. My only other hangup is with the added electronics to the bino’s. If the electronics fail and it’s out warranty that would be exponentially more expensive to replace or repair than a regular rangefinder. I’m not familiar with the alpha glass companies warranty as far as the electronics inside of bino’s. I will look into it though.
Thanks for the great review and help

I just got my range TA's in 8x like robby, and i like them alot so far. Seems like the glass is better or just as good as my SLC's which is really all i have to compare them to, since ive only briefly looked through the previous gen at the store.

I feel like i will be able to use them for archery but it will take some getting used to. If i was in steep cliffs and stuff id still bring my small RF along just in case. For those who have rf binos for archery is there a way to input your arrow ballistics? So far the lowest FPS i can input into the app is 492 so it doesnt seem like it'd give the right range for steep angles but am i wrong?

I mostly got them for rifle, and because my SLC's are old 8x50's and super heavy. So I figured even if i bring my small RF along i can still have alpha glass that weighs less than my alternative, plus be able to use the ranging, and tracking features(long as im in cell service which is rare while hunting lol)

I really like the forehead rest too, makes using them one handed easier and more stable

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just got my range TA's in 8x like robby, and i like them alot so far. Seems like the glass is better or just as good as my SLC's which is really all i have to compare them to, since ive only briefly looked through the previous gen at the store.

I feel like i will be able to use them for archery but it will take some getting used to. If i was in steep cliffs and stuff id still bring my small RF along just in case. For those who have rf binos for archery is there a way to input your arrow ballistics? So far the lowest FPS i can input into the app is 492 so it doesnt seem like it'd give the right range for steep angles but am i wrong?

I mostly got them for rifle, and because my SLC's are old 8x50's and super heavy. So I figured even if i bring my small RF along i can still have alpha glass that weighs less than my alternative, plus be able to use the ranging, and tracking features(long as im in cell service which is rare while hunting lol)

I really like the forehead rest too, makes using them one handed easier and more stable
hey, good to meet the other owner on the planet of the 8x!

No archery ballistics, but that's what the "shoot-to" distance is for. Displayed on 2nd line when you take a measurement.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I really like the idea of RF bino’s and being able to cut weight, bulk, etc..
I’m a simple guy myself and keeping things simple is usually a good thing in my book. My only other hangup is with the added electronics to the bino’s. If the electronics fail and it’s out warranty that would be exponentially more expensive to replace or repair than a regular rangefinder. I’m not familiar with the alpha glass companies warranty as far as the electronics inside of bino’s. I will look into it though.
Thanks for the great review and help
haven't heard of an electronics failure myself (anyone else can chime in), but my experience is they've treated me well enough with other out-of-warranty repairs.

I hunt timber a lot plus i figured the 8x will be better all around if i use them for archery. And yes, when I ordered from rob at s&s he said i was the only one that ordered the 8x so we may be the only 2 at least on this forum so far. Maybe one day they'll make it so we can input arrow ballistics, heres to hoping lol.

As far as warranty im pretty sure its great. I bought my SLC's on ebay a few years ago, the seller bought them new in '98 and had just sent them in prior to the sale. They basically took them apart, replaced all the armor and glass, and sent them back in brand new condition. On top of that im sure the testing and quality control is top notch so i doubt I'll have any issues with them. I could see a software bug with the app or something but im sure it'd be addressed promptly

Flogger

FNG
Yeah I know swaro has great customer service and I’m sure they would take care of an electronics issue on the rare occasion it might happen. I wasn’t implying they are prone to fail or anything, just thinking long term down the road. Plus I’m notoriously rough on gear. Even when I try to baby gear it never works out. In fact, I’m convinced the more I baby gear, the worse it gets beat on. Lol

I just ordered a new pair of Swaro EL’s last night from Black Ovis but I’m also contemplating the EL range as well. I take quite a few new guys and Veterans hunting throughout the year so having 2 pair of swaro’s wouldn’t be a waste as they would both get used plenty.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just ordered a new pair of Swaro EL’s last night from Black Ovis but I’m also contemplating the EL range as well. I take quite a few new guys and Veterans hunting throughout the year so having 2 pair of swaro’s wouldn’t be a waste as they would both get used plenty.
thanks for helping those soldiers

it says it gives you angle corrected distance as an option. You're not going to want a display of drop in MOA for archery. it's probably in the settings.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
it says it gives you angle corrected distance as an option. You're not going to want a display of drop in MOA for archery. it's probably in the settings.

yeah what he said. Angle correction and shoot to distance mean the same thing. that’s all you need for archery

Last edited:

JakeSCH

WKR
I honestly don't know how I am going to choose between these and the NL Pures. Currently running Maven 9x45 and sig2400abs. Would sell both for he TA and just the B2's for the Pure....how does one make a choice???

I'll probably do nothing because I can't make a decision.

Now If the swaro TA could send the gps coordinates of the ranged location to onX via bluetooth...that would be next level.