Swarovski NL Pure Binocular

pirogue

WKR
One has to discount the subjectivity, when some say it doesn’t work for their eyes, when they really mean, it doesn’t work for their wallet.

UpWndFrt

FNG
One has to discount the subjectivity, when some say it doesn’t work for their eyes, when they really mean, it doesn’t work for their wallet.

Think so? Bird geeks make disagreeing with that statement part of the freshman orientation.

Independent that, optical quality in itself might be tied, but not the single most important factor for me selecting one. Learned the expensive way to try before I buy another, and that the best doesn't equal the best for me no matter how much I want that to be the case. Looking forward to seeing these, but won't be pre-ordering.

If you disagree you have my envy, but it isn't the same for everyone, irrespective cost.

Last edited:

Elkangle

WKR
For those that remotely care the outdoorsmans stud will be a stainless steel....no anodized black

Nothing a lil sharp can't fix

sneaky

"DADDY"
Bullshit. There are a lot of us, myself included, that can't use field flattening lenses for a myriad of reasons. Cost doesn't have anything to do with it. Why would I buy a set of EL's or Pures when I already know they don't work for me? I'm completely satisfied with my SLCs which don't give me the rolling ball effect or a headache after long glassing sessions. Swarovski makes fine optics, but some variations don't work for everyone. That isn't subjectivity, that's reality.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
The objective lens diameter does not determine the field of view. What it does is determine the focal length and define the amount of light that gets into the system, A $30 42 mm Barska has the same amount of light energy available as the $3K NL Pure. Design and quality affect the visible outcome. As for field of view, that is a function of the ocular lens system. The light stream as it enters the prisms is a focused beam. The prisms erect it, it is then magnified, then as the beam passes out through the ocular system it is separated out through the angle prescribed by the designed fov parameters.

Amasaback

FNG
The objective lens diameter does not determine the field of view. What it does is determine the focal length and define the amount of light that gets into the system, A $30 42 mm Barska has the same amount of light energy available as the $3K NL Pure. Design and quality affect the visible outcome. As for field of view, that is a function of the ocular lens system. The light stream as it enters the prisms is a focused beam. The prisms erect it, it is then magnified, then as the beam passes out through the ocular system it is separated out through the angle prescribed by the designed fov parameters.
I’m trying to understand what also effects depth of field - if anything and is that related possibly to the exit and objective diameter.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
I’m trying to understand what also effects depth of field - if anything and is that related possibly to the exit and objective diameter.
Depth of field is, according to everything I have read, affected by only one thing. Increase magnification, decrease depth of field. However I am the first guy to admit that that does not always seem to ring true. From what I can discern there are a couple of other factors that can enter into the apparent focus depth we see. Yes, the magnification is the major thing. However field curvature is another possibility. We have curved lenses in our eyes. Aside from flat field binoculars, binoculars have curved lenses as well. If there is either a good match, or a mismatch in how our eye curvature matches with the binoculars curvature, that can have an effect. Even flat field systems are not particularly immune. Placing a flat field over our curved field introduces a whole new set of design parameters, and not all eyes will react positively to this either.

If a binocular is ever so slightly off collimation we can see an effect. If the magnification is just out of spec between both barrels that can effect the phenomena too. Remember collimation involves three optical axes. One for each barrel and one for the center hinge. All three axes have to be parallel. The fly in the ointment is that as the center hinge is flexed to accommodate eye position, the alignment of the axes must remain parallel. Most of these are things that will show up with age.

Magnification is the dominant determining factor. Exact quality control and good design help. Like fov, lens diameter plays no role here.

loopmtz

Lil-Rokslider
I had a chance to look through them at 1Shot Gear last week and thought they were amazing. I am sticking with my EL's because of price point but thought they were special.

Amasaback

FNG
Depth of field is, according to everything I have read, affected by only one thing. Increase magnification, decrease depth of field. However I am the first guy to admit that that does not always seem to ring true. From what I can discern there are a couple of other factors that can enter into the apparent focus depth we see. Yes, the magnification is the major thing. However field curvature is another possibility. We have curved lenses in our eyes. Aside from flat field binoculars, binoculars have curved lenses as well. If there is either a good match, or a mismatch in how our eye curvature matches with the binoculars curvature, that can have an effect. Even flat field systems are not particularly immune. Placing a flat field over our curved field introduces a whole new set of design parameters, and not all eyes will react positively to this either.

If a binocular is ever so slightly off collimation we can see an effect. If the magnification is just out of spec between both barrels that can effect the phenomena too. Remember collimation involves three optical axes. One for each barrel and one for the center hinge. All three axes have to be parallel. The fly in the ointment is that as the center hinge is flexed to accommodate eye position, the alignment of the axes must remain parallel. Most of these are things that will show up with age.

Magnification is the dominant determining factor. Exact quality control and good design help. Like fov, lens diameter plays no role here.

That makes a lot of sense. It is an interesting dynamic for sure. I have old military 7x Steiners binoculars that are basically fixed focus. You adjust a diopter for you eyes but has no other accommodations for focus.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Epic Outdoors compared 12x NL Pures and 15 SLCs thru a phone scope on their YouTube page. The difference is night and day and quite impressive. Picking my 12s up next Friday.