Swarovski SLC -> Kahles Helia S

Maverick1

WKR
A brief background for those that were not aware - Swarovski discontinued the SLC line of binoculars about a year ago.

This has been discussed a number of times here on Rokslide.

After some research (on rokslide and birdforum), I found the Swarovski SLC’s are now being offered as a Kahles, Helia S 42.

This is shown on the Kahles website. Unfortunately, the Helia S 42 binoculars are not sold in the USA.

I did some online research and found an overseas Kahles dealer, Optics Trade. (For anyone wondering, I am not affiliated with this company in any way. They based in Slovenia and shown as an official dealer for Kahles.)

They are the same as the discontinued Swarovski SLC's, with a different color on the rubber armored body (brown with an orange stripe - instead of green.....if that matters.)

Made in Austria.

Spoke with SONA-RI. Confirmed they would arrange for repairs if needed in the future. Not an issue.

$1399. They also had a Black Friday sale for $1179 with free shipping.

Last edited:

Knoxp

Lil-Rokslider
Neat! Wonder what the base model of Helia compares and if it is a basis of another previous design. Understanding all of European variants is new for me.

I’m off to do more research.

Last edited:
Good intel. Only problem is they don't say Swaro on them so a lot of folks will consider them a cheap knock off whether they are or not. I for one and thankful for you being the guinea pig though.

There is a thread about these bins on BirdForum for anyone who cares to read it.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your purchase. Let me start by saying I have an SLC and it is a great glass - in fact, I've owned several. If they are the precise same SLC with all the trimmings, coatings, etc, and just in a new skin the price looks very attractive (the binocular itself - maybe to the beholder).

It really makes no difference to me personally what folks buy especially when they are happy with the product. But since you appear to be pushing these pretty heavily, a few key questions that weren't addressed"

1. How much was the LEGALLY REQURED DUTY on this imported item not offered for sale in the USA? (Since this is over the legal threshold, if it was not paid it is a black market item in violation of US Customs law).

2. What is the written warranty coverage for this item? I believe it is 10-years when purchased by from an authorized dealer.

Congratulations on your purchase. Let me start by saying I have an SLC and it is a great glass - in fact, I've owned several. If they are the precise same SLC with all the trimmings, coatings, etc, and just in a new skin the price looks very attractive (the binocular itself - maybe to the beholder).

It really makes no difference to me personally what folks buy especially when they are happy with the product. But since you appear to be pushing these pretty heavily, a few key questions that weren't addressed"

1. How much was the LEGALLY REQURED DUTY on this imported item not offered for sale in the USA? (Since this is over the legal threshold, if it was not paid it is a black market item in violation of US Customs law).

2. What is the written warranty coverage for this item? I believe it is 10-years when purchased by from an authorized dealer.
Damn dude.

BBob

WKR
Duty from a country with preferred status is about 4% or thereabouts. Some countries have agreements and are exempt. I believe the threshold is about $600??? Anything more than minimum the duty is due. If it’s shipped via FedEx or DHL and the pro forma invoice lists the item as more than the minimum, FedEx or DHL may hit you for the duty before they will complete the delivery. BTDT. These days one should look into things like this before importing big ticket items yourself 😀

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
I see an option for FedEx delivery with all custom fees included. I wonder if that includes the duty?
If so your looking at 1399 plus 139 ..1438 all in delivered.

I see an option for FedEx delivery with all custom fees included. I wonder if that includes the duty?
If so your looking at 1399 plus 139 ..1438 all in delivered.
You are correct Jim. Any USA purchaser needs to pay all customs/duty fees or it is an illegally imported item. I believe some foreign retailers, and/or shippers, will offer to collect all appropriate fees and take care of it on the purchaser’s behalf. But none of them are likely to be gatekeepers if someone just wants to be an outlaw.

BTW - saw at least one post on another BB where someone was practically bragging about only paying $1199 total on this Black Friday sale and no duty. Just not very bright to confess to illegal activity on a public forum.

Last edited:

Ralphie

WKR
Is there actual/reliable confirmation that these are indeed exactly the SLCs, just in a different skin?

Fire3023

FNG
You are correct Jim. Any USA purchaser needs to pay all customs/duty fees or it is an illegally imported item. I believe some foreign retailers, and/or shippers, will offer to collect all appropriate fees and take care of it on the purchaser’s behalf. But none of them are likely to be gatekeepers if someone just wants to be an outlaw.

BTW - saw at least one post on another BB where someone was practically bragging about only paying $1199 total on this Black Friday sale and no duty. Just not very bright to confess to illegal activity on a public forum.
This is actually great information that not everyone will think about when a deal is posted. So I am appreciative that someone else pointed it out.

Broomd

WKR

Why? Last I checked there is no duty levied on binoculars imported to U.S..
Spotting scopes are taxed, however.

This is actually great information that not everyone will think about when a deal is posted. So I am appreciative that someone else pointed it out.
Too bad it's simply not true.

U.S. Tariff Rates​

Heading/
Subheading
Article
Description
Unit of
Quantity
GeneralSpecial
9005.10.00 Binoculars Free

Last edited:

nhgt_fd

FNG
Even if we can ship it from EU, I am not sure how warranty works. Unlikely Swarovski US to provide support on this

Kahles has been owned by Swarovski since the late 70s I believe. First company to develope variable magnification, gas filling and just about eveything good scopes have in them or on them. Oldest scope company in the world I believe. The Helia scopes will blow anyone elses away in the same class. I own one but have no link to them.