Swarovski SLC viewing with eye glasses?

mgebs311

FNG
I am looking hard at either SLC 10x42’s or EL 10x42’s for hunting. I like the price of the SLC’s. I primarily wear contacts, but there are times that I get sick of them and I like take a break and wear eye glasses. The SLC’s have an eye relief of 16mm compared to the EL’s 20mm. Have any of you guys wearing glasses had issues with viewing through the SLC’s? The EL’s May be worth just saving the extra bit of money, but I’ve read mixed reviews on the field flattening rolling ball effect. Do your eyes get accustomed to that for most people?

I have the 10x42 SLCs and have never had a problem with glasses. You twist in the eyecups all the way and have a complete field of view. I have the rolling ball effect with some binos and could never get past it, but everyones eyes are different.

JNDEER

WKR
I have no issues with my slc- but I did buy a very light weight titanium fram that is closer to my eyes than say a normal glass fram. I would suggest even bringing your current bino in when you buy new frames to make sure the fit is right. With my daily glasses the transition lenses suck when glassing and the FOV is mess cause the fram is further out.

BjornF16

WKR
I have 10x42 SLC and 8.5x42 EL (and I wear glasses).

To me, the eye relief is noticeable in favor of the EL. However, the SLC works for me, but just. YMMV.

I haven't taken the EL hunting yet, but have been playing around with them around my property. I don't notice the rolling ball effect, but I may just be immune.

Erict

WKR
I have 10x42 SLCs. I do not have any issues with or without glasses, but I prefer to look through the binoculars without glasses for several reasons. (I can see just fine through the binos without glasses as long as I adjust them.)

1. Unless you clean your eye cups every time, you will scratch your glass lenses,
2. Your field of view will be reduced, even if turning the eye cups in with glasses,
3. You will not be able to prevent light spilling in from the area between your glasses and your face. This makes it hard in full sunlight, and equally hard at "last light" when it's best to have your eyes sealed to the cups.

Good luck!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I wear glasses and use SLCs. The ELs don't work for me. The SLCs were a great investment. I need to get some new glasses, I'll be sure to check compatibility when I do. Good luck. Can't go wrong with either choice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nmiller08

Lil-Rokslider
To me, the eye relief is noticeable in favor of the EL. However, the SLC works for me, but just. YMMV.

Agreed, with the same two binos. Also have owned the 8x42 slc, which were noticeably better with glasses for me than the 10x.

You will not lose field if view looking through glasses if there is sufficient eye relief. Or put another way, if the eye cups are all the way in and you still lose some fov, then those binos don’t have enough eye relief for your glasses/face shape. Not all glasses wearers need the same eye relief, only way to really know is to try them yourself.

Rolling ball doesn’t seem to bother me, I noticed it the first time I looked through a friend’s EL’s, but after awhile it’s not an issue for me anyway

OP
mgebs311

mgebs311

FNG
Thanks everyone for the good feedback! I will be sure to bring my glasses and see how they work for me.

Shraggs

WKR
Agreed, with the same two binos. Also have owned the 8x42 slc, which were noticeably better with glasses for me than the 10x.

You will not lose field if view looking through glasses if there is sufficient eye relief. Or put another way, if the eye cups are all the way in and you still lose some fov, then those binos don’t have enough eye relief for your glasses/face shape. Not all glasses wearers need the same eye relief, only way to really know is to try them yourself.

Rolling ball doesn’t seem to bother me, I noticed it the first time I looked through a friend’s EL’s, but after awhile it’s not an issue for me anyway

Agree. Personally I need at least 16mm. Anything less is a compromise. You’ll only know if you try each. I personally settled on the el 12s, cl companions are real good too.