Sweater + shell vs single big jacket

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming the weight is equal is there a insulation difference between one thick waterproof parka versus a nice wool sweater or poly fleece covered with a rain shell. I prefer to do multiple layers. Is there a downside?

SonnyDay

WKR
Not sure I can speak to insulating capabilities based on similar weight... but two layers versus one combined layer will give you more flexibility in regulating your temperature. Sounds like you're already on board with that. I prefer poly fleece or similar instead of wool as it is usually lighter weight for a comparable amount of insulating ability, and dries much more quickly than wool once it is wet.

I will always say go with the layering system. There is an inverse relationship usually with waterproofing and breathability. Even with pit zips you can get swampy in a waterproof jacket. Personally, I found the best is a good merino wool base layer, a fleece mid layer, a puffy insulation layer if needed then a shell for wind or rain.

Here is a picture of me on this years archery hunt all layered up:

Layers.JPG

Last edited:
I like a wicking base layer under 1-2 active insulation layers. I like Capilene for the base layer then a synthetic fleece and a lightweight vest. Wind shell over those, rain jacket as needed. Puffy over those if it’s that cold and I’m stationary