SWFA business model?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
How do you like it?

(Ok, that was kind of rude sarcasm)
Now that is just mean!

How on earth can we "buy" something that is backordered over a year and still have good things to say about the company?

260madman

WKR
Is there even another FFP scope with exposed turrets on the market that’s lighter than the SWFA 3-9x with a similar objective size?
19oz is pretty light. My Athlon Helos 2-12 is 25oz and you can tell when mounted on a rifle. I put the 3-9 SWFA back on.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a 13 oz trijicon on my 7mm08 for now, before that it was a 19.8 oz vortex viper (which sucks btw), carrying the rifle I don’t notice a difference. Though the trijicon, with capped turrets and mildots on the reticle /MOA on the turrets it’s only really good for MBPR. I’m backordered on a 3-9x SWFA that’ll replace it.

I think a lot of their scopes are heavy compared to other manufacturers. Thats a big turn off.

The SWFA 6x and 3-9HD are about the lightest weight, consistent dialing and rugged scopes that I have come by.

But what difference does a few ounces make on a big game rifle that might get used for long range shots? If you're going to still hunt or track in the snow in the second growth, heavy timber of the upper great lakes states, the northwest, or the northeast, having a scope that doesn't throw off the balance of a svelte lever or other "woods rifle" might be more of a consideration. But for most full size bolt action rifles, a few ounces isn't likely to make or break a shot due to rifle balance and feel. Likewise, a few ounces on your rifle isn't going to be the deciding factor on if you climb the next hill or walk the extra mile further from the truck. And scope weight is in the right place so that a few ounces doesn't, to certain extents, adversely affect the handling qualities of rigs weighing 7lbs +.

ElPollo

WKR
I think a lot of their scopes are heavy compared to other manufacturers. Thats a big turn off.
People don’t buy SWFA scope because they a light or sexy. They buy them because they are rugged, repeatable and accurate. They also have good reticles, and are the only option that ticks all those function over form boxes for under a grand. But honestly they are kinda butt ugly. I’m thinking your rifles would look better with a Swarovski on them.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
The 10x42 MilQuad comes in at under 20oz and for what you get its hard to beat it. With that said it sure would be nice if they had a smaller/lighter 6x42 and could keep the things in stock.

Deywalker

FNG
Now that is just mean!

How on earth can we "buy" something that is backordered over a year and still have good things to say about the company?
Because to my knowledge, there isn't another company making scopes as durable and proven as the SWFA Line at anything close to a similar price. For the 2-300 dollar price point I can't think of anything that comes close to the fixed 6x and 10x. At ~600 dollars I don't know of any similar optics that can compete with the 3-9x42 and the 3-15x42 in durability, zero retention and tracking. Combined with one of the best general use FFP reticles on the market and it's easy to see why people still like SWFA. Yes it sucks to be waiting since September and November for a 3-9 and 6x respectively, but they're the only ones at these relatively modest price points who seem to care about selling us optics that work as advertised.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Because to my knowledge, there isn't another company making scopes as durable and proven as the SWFA Line at anything close to a similar price. For the 2-300 dollar price point I can't think of anything that comes close to the fixed 6x and 10x. At ~600 dollars I don't know of any similar optics that can compete with the 3-9x42 and the 3-15x42 in durability, zero retention and tracking. Combined with one of the best general use FFP reticles on the market and it's easy to see why people still like SWFA. Yes it sucks to be waiting since September and November for a 3-9 and 6x respectively, but they're the only ones at these relatively modest price points who seem to care about selling us optics that work as advertised.
No doubt. But I’m over it. They don’t deserve our business. A product can be the greatest thing since the mouse trap, but if it doesn’t exist, it doesn’t exist. Their whole idea of backorder is a scam in my view. We are falling for it like a bunch of suckers. And they don’t care enough to change.

When good businesses have problems, they figure out ways to fix them.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
Theres dude’s waiting a year for the truck they ordered, I can’t find the ammo I want, I think I waited like 6 months for a sofa last year. It’s annoying but I don’t think it constitutes a scam, at least in the generally accepted sense of the word.
Truth is I’m gonna forget that I ordered these scopes and they’ll just show up one day, so that’ll be cool.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
My point is their idea of “backorder” is a scam. If there were honesty at work, they would just say out of stock. And not offer them for sale until they have plenty of inventory. They are using this BS attempt at “backorder” as a means of inventory management.

No other scope manufacturers play these games.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
And I don’t even think anyone at SWFA is paying attention. I bought an ultralight scope a while back and have had it now in hand for 2 weeks. I went in to check the status of my 6x order (wishful thinking) and the Ultralight order still says “pending”. Haha.

ElPollo

WKR
My point is their idea of “backorder” is a scam. If there were honesty at work, they would just say out of stock. And not offer them for sale until they have plenty of inventory. They are using this BS attempt at “backorder” as a means of inventory management.

No other scope manufacturers play these games.
Just curious. What other scope manufacturers are you referring to? I get your frustration with not being able to get something you want. But what isn’t on backorder lately? All this anger seems like it could be better focused on the ammunition duopoly that is profiting hugely of increased demand without investing in expanded production. My experience is that most small companies try to make things right. But if you get on the internet with an axe to grind, you become that guy. Big ones don’t give crap about you.

CoStick

WKR
I really liked my 3-9 but couldn’t get the eyepiece/diopter dialed in. Having cataracts surgery soon, so maybe it will improve.

CoStick

WKR
Both times I did it my card got hit with the full value but it stayed as “pending” for a week or less then disappeared.
If they aren’t taking funds upfront, the back order makes sense. Probably helps them avoid ordering too much when stock starts shipping.