Swfa zero stop shims ?

I’m looking into how to modify a swfa 3-15 to have a zero stop, do the turrets turn east enough to lose zero if bumped or swiped against something ? Not too worried about the elevation, but I don’t want the windage to move since it does stick out pretty far

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is a little extreme but I cut off my windage turret on my 6x ss and put a cap on it, I was able to fashion part of what I cut off the windage turret to use as a zero stop for my elevation turret. I do like the knurling if you could call it that on the swfa scopes they are slick enough the don’t catch on stuff but are still easy to manipulate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4th_point

WKR
I’m looking into how to modify a swfa 3-15 to have a zero stop, do the turrets turn east enough to lose zero if bumped or swiped against something ? Not too worried about the elevation, but I don’t want the windage to move since it does stick out pretty far
People have been using garden hose washers for numerous years in that application. You might not stop exactly at zero but close enough with the compliance of the washer material.

There used to be some guys selling 3D printed shims too, but I don't know if they still do. Those seemed much stiffer.

From what I recall, SWFA stated that the use of shims was OK with the Classic scopes but you may want to double check if you have questions.

I have never bothered with a zero stop but have had the turrets rotate accidentally on the Classic scopes.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a set of SWFA zero stops on ebay from seller "tmkulin". Last time I checked they were out of stock, so I'm happy to see them available now.

rsltid13

FNG
I just ordered a set of SWFA zero stops on ebay from seller "tmkulin". Last time I checked they were out of stock, so I'm happy to see them available now.

I reached out and they should have the 3-9 zero stops available shortly again as well

fwafwow

WKR
I am about the least handy/most incompetent person when it comes to DIY stuff. Yet even I figured out how to use plastic plumbing washers to come up with a zero stop for the 3-15. I posted the exact washers to use in another thread. I’ve been too lazy to go to Ace, but when I do, I am sure I can figure out the slightly smaller size needed for the 3-9.

I may also start a side hustle to sell them on here. I think the cost is about $0.75.

JohnB

WKR
I am about the least handy/most incompetent person when it comes to DIY stuff. Yet even I figured out how to use plastic plumbing washers to come up with a zero stop for the 3-15. I posted the exact washers to use in another thread. I’ve been too lazy to go to Ace, but when I do, I am sure I can figure out the slightly smaller size needed for the 3-9.

I may also start a side hustle to sell them on here. I think the cost is about $0.75.
Right on. I'll check those out. I tried hose washers and wasn't too happy with them.

satchamo

WKR
People have been using garden hose washers for numerous years in that application. You might not stop exactly at zero but close enough with the compliance of the washer material.

There used to be some guys selling 3D printed shims too, but I don't know if they still do. Those seemed much stiffer.

From what I recall, SWFA stated that the use of shims was OK with the Classic scopes but you may want to double check if you have questions.

I have never bothered with a zero stop but have had the turrets rotate accidentally on the Classic scopes.

I’m not hating on SWFA (or your post) at all when I say this but it blows my mind that known high end optics are so shitty that people are turning to using a budget, known reliable scope that has to have zero stops installed with garden hose washers.

ElPollo

WKR
I’m not hating on SWFA (or your post) at all when I say this but it blows my mind that known high end optics are so shitty that people are turning to using a budget, known reliable scope that has to have zero stops installed with garden hose washers.
There are plenty of high-end optics with zero stops for you to choose from, but most won’t hold zero if you lean your rifle against a tree and it falls over or if you spend a day driving washboard roads with the gun in the truck.

Went to ace hardware store this morning to get shims for a couple 3-15 and a 5-20, don't have a 3-9 or 6 so can't provide #s for those.

In the 3-15 elevation I used 1-1/16 and 1-1/18 and I only go past zero by 1.5 mil. For the windage I used 1-1/16 nylon and 1 rubber o ring in picture (the one by thumb) and get about 3 mils when I crank tighter.

The 5-20 I used each on windage and elevation 1 of the rubber hose washers and 1 of the 1/16 nylon washers and I am well with in 1 revolution of stoppage

Attachments

• 20230906_083504.jpg
    20230906_083504.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230906_073940.jpg
    20230906_073940.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230906_074453.jpg
    20230906_074453.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230906_073648.jpg
    20230906_073648.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 20230906_082425.jpg
    20230906_082425.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Went to ace hardware store this morning to get shims for a couple 3-15 and a 5-20, don't have a 3-9 or 6 so can't provide #s for those.

In the 3-15 elevation I used 1-1/16 and 1-1/18 and I only go past zero by 1.5 mil. For the windage I used 1-1/16 nylon and 1 rubber o ring in picture (the one by thumb) and get about 3 mils when I crank tighter.

The 5-20 I used each on windage and elevation 1 of the rubber hose washers and 1 of the 1/16 nylon washers and I am well with in 1 revolution of stoppage

Just wanted to say thank you for including so much detail and photos of the parts you used. Went to ACE tonight, found the exact parts you listed and now have zero stops working great in my 6x and 3-15x SWFA’s!

Clark33

WKR
I used nylon washers and sanded them down until I got it where it would go .1-.2 mil past zero.

Can't remember the size of washers but one was not enough and 2 stacked was too much, hence the involvement of sand paper to file it down a bit.