Synthetic Sleeping Bags

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
What is everyone running for a synthetic sleeping bag? Before I get too much flack, I do have an EE Quilt and love it! But, I need to buy another bag anyways and figured I'd go with a +20* sleeping bag, so I'd like to give a fully synthetic a try. Price aside, what have you found to be some of the best options?

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
I have a old kelty light year that worked great for the last 15 years. The rating has dropped significantly and it is now more like a 40 degree bag. Looking to upgrade as well. Got hpg serape to use during summer.

To fill that niche, I use the Mountain Hardware Ultralamina. Light weight, packs down small, and won't break the bank.

Same here, although the old Ultralamina has now been replaced with either the "Hyperlamina" (center zip), or the "Lamina Z" (traditional side zip), they should be just as good or better.

Hyperlima is a good bag, I have the center zip. Took a little while to get use to the center zip

bcimport

WKR
Wiggys for me. Not lite but warm, generous cut and durable zippers. Used to backpack with them, now they are used mostly for truck camps.

OP
DenRuyter

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at the Mountain Hardware Lamina ZFlame I like that the zipper goes all the way down, but how big is the footbox? It looks like it may be tight...can anyone comment on it?

I also checked out the Wiggy's, but they are tanks!!!!!!!! I don't think I want to lug that around on my pack.

The Montbells seem really nice and a bit cheaper than the Kifaru Slick Bag. Does the zipper go all the way down to the foot the way the picture suggests? It looks like a generous cut footbox, but how is it really?

I had a slick bag for a short while, but it was a -20 bag I got at a steal. It was way too warm, so I never really gave it a fair chance. I really loved the center zip, but i felt like I couldn't move around because the zipper doesn't go far enough down IMO.

I'm using an X-Therm Max pad, and do LOVE my quilt, but the only synthetic I could find is the Thermarest Apogee. Does anyone know of any other quilts that are synthetic by chance?

I got a Kifaru slick bag with the center zip in 20* and have been pleased with it. Nice and warm and when I unzip it all the way I wind up with a quilt that has a foot box, which makes it very versatile.

Looking at the Mountain Hardware Lamina ZFlame I like that the zipper goes all the way down, but how big is the footbox? It looks like it may be tight...can anyone comment on it?

I also checked out the Wiggy's, but they are tanks!!!!!!!! I don't think I want to lug that around on my pack.

The Montbells seem really nice and a bit cheaper than the Kifaru Slick Bag. Does the zipper go all the way down to the foot the way the picture suggests? It looks like a generous cut footbox, but how is it really?

I had a slick bag for a short while, but it was a -20 bag I got at a steal. It was way too warm, so I never really gave it a fair chance. I really loved the center zip, but i felt like I couldn't move around because the zipper doesn't go far enough down IMO.

I'm using an X-Therm Max pad, and do LOVE my quilt, but the only synthetic I could find is the Thermarest Apogee. Does anyone know of any other quilts that are synthetic by chance?
Mine two go all the way down and there's plenty of room. The super stretchy part really works as advertised and are very comfortable. Pound for pound the most comfortable bags I've seen and used. Pretty accurate temp ratings for me.

OP
DenRuyter

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. I got a decent deal on a Kifaru Bag here and decided to try another. I'll see how it goes and if I still hate the zipper, try some of the others you suggested.

For the Apocalypse I go Wiggys...absolutely bomb proof. This video convinced me.

[video=youtube;YD3wA5Wrcmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD3wA5Wrcmc[/video]