T3 Lite vs T3x CTR weight difference

sdupontjr

WKR
I have been asked before and decided to weight each component of the rifles to see how much weight difference there is in the T3 Lite 308 vs a T3x CTR 308 20".

The T3 Lite sports the original stock, added a limb saver pad and sanded the barrel channel slightly to free float barrel. Has a Schmidt Bender Polar 4-16x56 with Vortex precision matched 34mm rings. The action screws have been swapped out to SS ones. Also has a fluted bolt.

CTR has a roughtech stock with an added limb saver pad and sanded barrel channel to free float. Arken EP5 5-25x56, arken 34mm rings.

T3 Lite
Scope + Rings + Cover = 1120g
Stock + Limbsaver = 872g
Btm Metal + Mag + SS screws = 90g
Barrel + Action + Trigger + Fluted Bolt = 1920g
Total = 4002g or 8.82lbs

CTR 20"

Scope + Rings + Cover = 1332g
Stock + Limbsaver = 854g
Btm Metal + Mag + SS screws = 88g
Barrel + Action + Trigger + Fluted Bolt = 2330g
Total = 4604g or 10.15lbs

The Polar is a heavy scope but it fits the purpose of the rifle for my low light hunting. So if we negate both scopes, the weight difference is actually very close.

T3 Lite = 2882g / 6.35 lbs
CTR = 3272g / 7.21 lbs

Less than a pound difference. I also weighed each bolt being one is fluted and the CTR has the much larger bolt knob.

T3 Lite = 276g
CTR = 332g

So negate the scopes and the bolts and the weight difference is 334g or 11.78 oz or .74 lbs. Not much to speak of. The larger barrel channel knocked some weight off the CTR's Roughtech stock in comparison to the Lite stock. The mag difference could be that the Lite has the original mag and the CTR i put a L mag. That small plastic spacer is probably the 2g difference. If someone were to take a CTR and place a trijicon Credo or a SWFA optic on it, it would very handy and of course much lighter.

The only thing I didn't do, and thats because I sold it, was weight the CTR stock with bottom metal and mag so that I could get a comparison of it to the roughtech.

Macintosh

WKR
I have been asked before and decided to weight each component of the rifles to see how much weight difference there is in the T3 Lite 308 vs a T3x CTR 308 20".

The T3 Lite sports the original stock, added a limb saver pad and sanded the barrel channel slightly to free float barrel. Has a Schmidt Bender Polar 4-16x56 with Vortex precision matched 34mm rings. The action screws have been swapped out to SS ones. Also has a fluted bolt.

CTR has a roughtech stock with an added limb saver pad and sanded barrel channel to free float. Arken EP5 5-25x56, arken 34mm rings.

T3 Lite
Scope + Rings + Cover = 1120g
Stock + Limbsaver = 872g
Btm Metal + Mag + SS screws = 90g
Barrel + Action + Trigger + Fluted Bolt = 1920g
Total = 4002g or 8.82lbs

CTR 20"

Scope + Rings + Cover = 1332g
Stock + Limbsaver = 854g
Btm Metal + Mag + SS screws = 88g
Barrel + Action + Trigger + Fluted Bolt = 2330g
Total = 4604g or 10.15lbs

The Polar is a heavy scope but it fits the purpose of the rifle for my low light hunting. So if we negate both scopes, the weight difference is actually very close.

T3 Lite = 2882g / 6.35 lbs
CTR = 3272g / 7.21 lbs

Less than a pound difference. I also weighed each bolt being one is fluted and the CTR has the much larger bolt knob.

T3 Lite = 276g
CTR = 332g

So negate the scopes and the bolts and the weight difference is 334g or 11.78 oz or .74 lbs. Not much to speak of. The larger barrel channel knocked some weight off the CTR's Roughtech stock in comparison to the Lite stock. The mag difference could be that the Lite has the original mag and the CTR i put a L mag. That small plastic spacer is probably the 2g difference. If someone were to take a CTR and place a trijicon Credo or a SWFA optic on it, it would very handy and of course much lighter.

The only thing I didn't do, and thats because I sold it, was weight the CTR stock with bottom metal and mag so that I could get a comparison of it to the roughtech.
Interesting. My CTR in factory stock is a 6.5 cm with a 24” barrel and an apa little bastard brake, but when I weighed it, I could have sworn it was within an ounce or two of 9lb before a scope. Depending on scope and rings its pushing 11. Its been a while since I weighed it and I dont want to tear it down right now, but Im fairly certain my memory is at least close. I have a hard time thinking a brake and 4” of barrel weigh almost 2lb. Wondering what the difference is.

I noticed your weights have the Lite stock heavier than ctr, lite bottom metal heavier than ctr—this doesnt seem right to me, can you confirm? Possible this is a t3 vs t3x thing? Not sure what an “L mag” for a ctr is?

Edit: I weighed rigged weights for me, maybe can work backwards:
T3x lite .270 win 22”, factory pad stock w vert grip, with steel ctr pic rail, pmr low rings, S&B 3-12 scope, and added ctr cheek riser 8lb 4oz. Without mag.
IMG_2487.jpeg

Ctr factory stock, 20moa rail, PMR MED rings, athlon cronus btr 4.5-29, 24” 6.5cm, apa little bastard, no mag. 10lb 11 oz.

IMG_2488.jpeg

Published weights for scopes 35.8oz for athlon vs 20.1 oz S&B—almost exactly a pound difference. Add an ounce or 2 difference for the higher rings, but pull that back out to account for the added ctr cheek riser and flush cups on my lite stock. 4oz for the brake. Thats a 20oz difference in accessories (10lb 11oz - 20oz=9lb 7oz). Given this, Im thinking my bare CTR weighs more than 1lb 3oz more than a bare lite. (9lb 7oz - 8lb 4oz= 1lb 3oz, plus pull a couple oz for the steel pic rail off my lite, so 1lb 5oz??). Plus the ctr mag is +4ounces before ammo (1.5oz vs 5.75oz). I’m guessing bare rifle weight with mag the CTR is 1lb 9oz heavier before ammo.

Whiiiich, maybe isnt THAT much more than you showed and probably jives in principle more or less, but my CTR is significantly more than a pound heavier. Hopefully another data point at the least. Subjectivly, i carried the ctr with the S&B scope last fall on an antelope hunt. With equal scopes and a flush 3-round mag made possible via a modification to the bottom metal, the CTR was right around 10lb and does not feel much heavier when carrying it on a sling, but shooting it it is very noticeably more stable, and carrying it in the hand it is very noticeably heavier.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
Quite simply, they are intended for two completely different jobs. The CTR is a range/varmint gun and the lite is for hunting. Naturally, the CTR would weigh more than the lite version.
Yes and no. Tons and tons of people are hunting big game in the mountains with 10 to 12 pound rifles in standard short-action calibers because they are easier to shoot and they kill big game just fine. The CTR is also the only factory barrel tikka offers, as far as I know, that is pre-threaded for 5/8 x 24 for a can, and the 20” is already short enough to be “can length” out of the box. So I think a lot of people are interested in getting a more accurate sense of what EXACTLY the weight penalty is to carry around a CTR as a hunting rifle. Plus you have the NRL hunter thing with a 12 pound weight limit.

Last edited:

SouthPaw

WKR
Swap the CTR bottom/mag with a stock T3/T3x setup, remove the factory 0moa rail and use direct mount rings. Shaves a bunch of weight from the CTR and makes it more carry friendly.

20" CTR as shown is exactly 9lbs scoped.

223 cerakote.jpg

Discussed here:

Macintosh

WKR
On the other hand, at 9lb its not that much heavier than my lite. If Im going to carry a heavier rifle I might want it heavier. I’m not sure trying to make it lighter is the point (in at least some cases).

SouthPaw

WKR
On the other hand, at 9lb its not that much heavier than my lite. If Im going to carry a heavier rifle I might want it heavier. I’m not sure trying to make it lighter is the point (in at least some cases).
Sure, its case-specific. This particular rifle is a .223. At 9 lbs it already doesn't move, more weight is pointless. But add the weight of a suppressor and it starts to matter for many folks. My only point was that the CTR can easily be made a lot lighter for folks considering one, or that have one and wish to lighten it for hunting.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Interesting. My CTR in factory stock is a 6.5 cm with a 24” barrel and an apa little bastard brake, but when I weighed it, I could have sworn it was within an ounce or two of 9lb before a scope. Depending on scope and rings its pushing 11. Its been a while since I weighed it and I dont want to tear it down right now, but Im fairly certain my memory is at least close. I have a hard time thinking a brake and 4” of barrel weigh almost 2lb. Wondering what the difference is.

I noticed your weights have the Lite stock heavier than ctr, lite bottom metal heavier than ctr—this doesnt seem right to me, can you confirm? Possible this is a t3 vs t3x thing? Not sure what an “L mag” for a ctr is?

T3x lite .270 win 22”, factory pad stock w vert grip, with steel ctr pic rail, pmr low rings, S&B 3-12 scope, and added ctr cheek riser 8lb 4oz. Without mag.
View attachment 610506

Ctr factory stock, 20moa rail, PMR MED rings, athlon cronus btr 4.5-29, 24” 6.5cm, apa little bastard, no mag. 10lb 11 oz.

View attachment 610507

Published weights for scopes 35.8oz for athlon vs 20.1 oz S&B—almost exactly a pound difference. Add an ounce or 2 difference for the higher rings, but pull that back out to account for the added ctr cheek riser and flush cups on my lite stock. 4oz for the brake. Thats a 20oz difference in accessories (10lb 11oz - 20oz=9lb 7oz). Given this, Im thinking my bare CTR weighs more than 1lb 3oz more than a bare lite. (9lb 7oz - 8lb 4oz= 1lb 3oz, plus pull a couple oz for the steel pic rail off my lite, so 1lb 5oz??). Plus the ctr mag is +4ounces before ammo (1.5oz vs 5.75oz). I’m guessing bare rifle weight with mag the CTR is 1lb 9oz heavier before ammo.

Whiiiich, maybe isnt THAT much more than you showed and probably jives in principle more or less, but my CTR is significantly more than a pound heavier. Hopefully another data point at the least. Subjectivly, i carried the ctr with the S&B scope last fall on an antelope hunt. With equal scopes and a flush 3-round mag made possible via a modification to the bottom metal, the CTR was right around 10lb and does not feel much heavier when carrying it on a sling, but shooting it it is very noticeably more stable, and carrying it in the hand it is very noticeably heavier.
The stock that my CTR sits in had the barrel channel opened to fit the CTR barrel. By removing move material to fit the larger contour barrel, it lightens up the stock in the process.

As far as the mags go tikka T3/T3x mags are interchangeable. But are not compatible with CTR bottom metals. Thus I put a different stock, so I was able to use T3/T3x mags. The tan stock I purchased didn't have bottom metal or mag so i purchased a T3x bottom metal online and I had a spare mag from my tikka 7mag ("L" mag) to use. the difference in the mags are one length and for some width. The L mag allows me to load much longer handloads and not be limited to magazine lengths.

View attachment 610506

View attachment 610507

Wow, lotta math here. Here’s the weight of my 24” 6.5 creed CTR in its bare form:

1696616750383.jpeg

My T3x with a 24” 300WM lite barrel weighs 6lb 6oz and with a superlite (fluted) 22” 270 barrel it weighs 6lbs on the nose. Those are the only lites I have at the moment.

Macintosh

WKR
So 8lb .04oz - 6lb 6oz = 1lb 10 oz.
My working-backwards guess 1lb 9oz.

Took me some maths since I didnt want to pull scopes off, but we got to the same place! 🤓

So 8lb .04oz - 6lb 6oz = 1lb 10 oz.
My working-backwards guess 1lb 9oz.

Took me some maths since I didnt want to pull scopes off, but we got to the same place! 🤓
Nice, your math was solid! CTR bottom metal and mag are 10.5 oz and are an easy swap to the lite plastic to save a fair bit of weight, like @sdupontjr was saying in his original post. Brings them pretty close, really.

1696626283686.jpeg

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Thats what I had found also but didnt have mine to weight. Had saw it online. Also the bolt difference I have. Large knob CTR bolt and the T3 fluted bolt. Not alot but each little bit adds up.

Macintosh

WKR
Nice, your math was solid! CTR bottom metal and mag are 10.5 oz and are an easy swap to the lite plastic to save a fair bit of weight, like @sdupontjr was saying in his original post. Brings them pretty close, really.

Yes, although the gaps on either side bug me—I have no evidence to say so but it makes me rhink about dust, grit, snow, etc getting into the action and causing problems. I modified my ctr bottom metal so it will accept either ctr mags or many of the aics mags, and have used the MDT 3-round plastic mags to accomplish almost the same. But I am a bit surprised tikka doesnt make a flush ctr mag. I’ve wondered whether you could use epoxy or ptex or something to add materiel to the sides of a plastic dbm so it would fill the inlet on a ctr stock while allowing you to switch back and forth.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve wondered whether you could use epoxy or ptex or something to add materiel to the sides of a plastic dbm so it would fill the inlet on a ctr stock while allowing you to switch back and forth.
While I generally am not worried about the gaps, sealed up better does seem preferable. I’d go ghetto and use electrical tape.