Tag strategy

MNElk33

FNG
I’m from MN and basically in the same boat - I’m sure it’s said a lot on the forum but check out the Elk Talk podcast there are a lot of past episodes that cover state by state strategies and challenges (including point creep). Corey Jacobsen’s Elk 101 also has a full section on this. I’ve found it all to be super helpful in creating a multi-state tag strategy that works for me and will allow me to hunt each year to get experience (so when I’m in a prime unit I know what I’m doing).

Zim

FNG
For WY general elk tag, with 2 pts you are behind the guaranteed draw pool by 1 pt I believe. The pt creep keeps going up year after year, with no end in sight. You would think covid it would have damped down some demand but it hasn't. I expect '21 to get worst with CO cutting down numbers, along with ID no longer being friendly to NR. A multi state strategy is what everyone is doing now, so if you don't live in a state with elk, get a bunch of friends together and hopefully baring OTC tags between the few of you you'll have an opportunity every year from draws. Or pay for private land tags, but those prices I predict will be going up soon enough as they've already been trending upwards.
I totally agree with this. I'm also from the Midwest and have taken 5 bulls from 320'-350" with my bow, from premium units, including in Wyoming. 5-6 WY points aren't going to benefit you too much. The best value going right now is the WY general elk. Especially with you being so close, that needs to be your "go to" state for learning and returning often. We have 7 points and will be taking this route once we burn these. If we knew better at the time, we would have immediately adopted this strategy. Point creep is really taking hold in WY now and I see a lot of guys wanting to get off the point treadmill there, bogging down those 3-8 point units. Don't get on that wheel.

caesAR15

Lil-Rokslider
Paxton, I am also from Iowa and am in a similar boat as yourself. I have gone to Idaho the last two years to chase bulls during the archery season. However I just started putting in for points in WY and CO this year. I was going to ID for the cheaper OTC tags and ease of access. However my plan going forward is to get tags for cows in other states and keep learning more before chasing bulls again. The last two years have been great even without filling my tags. If I can help with planning for gear or anything like that would be glad to offer my advice, but for tags specifically I am trying to learn all of that as well.

Fellow Iowan here-where are you guys located?? We may have to schedule a meet up someday?? Thanks for starting this thread @Paxton2208, good stuff, wishing you the best of luck wherever you land.

As has been said study the harvest reports, area maps, draw odds regular/special(also type 6), and regs. I keep all of those pages open and go between them quite a bit. You will probably end up back at GEN but it’s fun research. We are sitting here with 6 points due to life etc after having hunted GEN 3x. Want to hunt this year and have done quite a bit of research. Still not a solid plan at all but we have a few ideas. Of course we are open to suggestions too...

fatlander

WKR
I wouldn’t apply for a general (bull) tag in Wyoming. I’d go hunt OTC in Colorado or get a cow tag somewhere. Until you do it, you really know nothing about elk hunting. The Wyoming general tag is a good tag, if you know how to hunt elk. You’re behind the guaranteed number of points to draw anyway. 2022, you’ll be guaranteed in the special with 3 points.

Let’s say you get lucky and draw that general tag this year. It’ll be at least 5 years until you can draw that tag again with the way point creep is headed. So it’ll be 6 years, or more, before you’re back in Wyoming with any elk hunting knowledge. Go learn how to hunt elk next year and maybe the year after, then go to Wyoming and have a great hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zim

FNG
I wouldn’t apply for a general (bull) tag in Wyoming. I’d go hunt OTC in Colorado or get a cow tag somewhere. Until you do it, you really know nothing about elk hunting. The Wyoming general tag is a good tag, if you know how to hunt elk. You’re behind the guaranteed number of points to draw anyway. 2022, you’ll be guaranteed in the special with 3 points.

Let’s say you get lucky and draw that general tag this year. It’ll be at least 5 years until you can draw that tag again with the way point creep is headed. So it’ll be 6 years, or more, before you’re back in Wyoming with any elk hunting knowledge. Go learn how to hunt elk next year and maybe the year after, then go to Wyoming and have a great hunt.

The only problem with this is he’d likely learn little about real elk hunting since he’d pretty much be on a glorified hiking trip in an OTC CO unit. I suppose there would be some things applicable. Elk behavior can be like night and day depending on pressure.

fatlander

WKR
The only problem with this is he’d likely learn little about real elk hunting since he’d pretty much be on a glorified hiking trip in an OTC CO unit. I suppose there would be some things applicable. Elk behavior can be like night and day depending on pressure.

I agree with that to a degree, but if he can learn how to find elk in highly pressured units, he’ll have a better hunt when draws that Wyoming general tag. If he starts out with that general tag, he’s going to be in a for an absolute suck fest for the next 5 years waiting to draw again.

Zim

FNG
I think the better option would be to invest a year or two on scouting trips to the General WY elk areas during bow season. Best of both worlds - Find elk behaving like elk. Filter areas. Free.

I’ve been on a couple bad over pressured hunts where I learned nothing and just got discouraged. The elk were completely nocturnal & dead silent.

I think the better option would be to invest a year or two on scouting trips to the General WY elk areas during bow season. Best of both worlds - Find elk behaving like elk. Filter areas. Free.

I’ve been on a couple bad over pressured hunts where I learned nothing and just got discouraged. The elk were completely nocturnal & dead silent.

I'd disagree. My first elk hunt was in CO coming from TX with no big game experience. My buddy and I picked a unit, researched the crap out of it and went. Was highly pressured, our plans went out the window, we hiked all over the place but beat the odds and were successful. No point of going into the woods without a tag imo. The first time success rate for Elk, let alone OTC elk has to be very very low. There are 3 ways around that, hire an outfitter, have inside knowledge, or apply yourself/grind it out.

With all that being said the only way to get good at something is effort and failure. Go hunting!

Zim

FNG
There’s pros & cons for both options. I think it depends on the OP’s situation. How much time he has, physical condition, finances, etc.

I wouldn’t assume this guy can find vocal elk in an OTC unit. I’ve been on about 15 archery elk hunts over 30 years and found some real dogs out there. I mean a truck in every spot, zero bugling, Nobody was going to score in those units.

Last edited:

Zim

FNG
Might be a good idea to see if there are cow tags in the unit you are interested in wyoming. Then you can practice and scout at the same time.

Yup I can’t argue with this. Solid plan.