Taking the Plunge into Tech Gear - How Far Do I Go?

Agar426

FNG
With my trusty Wal-Mart (Duxbak brand) sourced camo pants finally giving it up after 21 seasons, I decided to take the plunge into some tech gear. Ever since I got an out of the blue Schnee's catalog in the mail back in the day and saw the early Sitka stuff in Mountain Mimicry, I have always wanted to get some, but always felt that "what I have is good enough" and combined with the cost, I never took the plunge. I've always gotten away with what I had around me. For example, I raid my baseball gear for hunting....padded Under Armour sliding shorts are nice for glassing and brush busting cuz they are padded as well as having the usual synthetic UA "attributes." I also use my Easton slide on knee pads, which are basically a compression sleeve type deal with padding on the front. Anyhow, point being, I've made due all these years. I do have some heavier fleece stuff from Cabela's that I use for coyote calling and such, where I'm not covering a lot of ground, but it's cold.

Anyhow, I am very fortunate to live in an area where I am in very close proximity to some great hunting, which allows me to primarily "day hunt." Even if I have to camp out, we always have access to the vehicle, so we are able to pack enough clothes for several days. That being said, even as day hunters, we tend to put on quite a few miles per day, especially when hunting Muleys, where we often times don't return to the vehicle until after sun down. So....I thought to myself, since I have to buy new pants, I may as well look into the tech gear, especially with the pants, as their performance is a big deal.

About 3 years ago, I picked up some Kryptek Alaois pants, but they didn't fit well at all. I love the design, but there was no stretch, way too tight, and the waist was way too low for my taste. The worst part was that when I would lift my leg, it would grab my knee and bind up, so it was both tiring and annoying. So I went back to my old faithfuls. After they gave up the ghost this past season, I started researching, and thanks to the Easton buyout of C4E, their Mountain Mimicry stuff can be had for pretty cheap, so here's what I got:

Pants: Switchback and Element. Currently looking for some Highline pants. I realize the first two, when combined with under layers should cover most situations....but I'm just trying to be comprehensive. First impressions - The fit is great, and I can feel the stretch when I move...so far so good. Haven't had a long term outing yet. I'm thinking the elements would be for 40* and lower...gotta test them first on a warm day with the vents open. Their thickness would be great for brush busting.

Shirts: Pivot 1/4 zip; Assault 1/4 zip; Selway 1/4 zip. First impressions - The Assault and Selway are awesome, if they weren't camo, I would wear them to work! Still getting a feel for the pivot, as I haven't had a chance to wear it out.

Vests: Mid-Mountain; Selway. First Impressions - Both seem great. I haven't really hunted in a vest all that much, but I took a chance with the low prices, and I'm thinking it may change the way I dress, as I really like the arm freedom. The Selway seems like the better "vest" while the mid-mountain seems more like an under layer. In fact I've already used it that way and it was great.

Jacket: Element jacket. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but it seems like a good garment. Not sure if I'm going to struggle between that and the Selway vest as my go to setup. As I mentioned earlier, the prices were good and I wanted to be comprehensive.

That's it so far. Question:

1 - What am I missing? I didn't get any merino, rain gear or insulating layers. I've got plenty of UA and UA type stuff from other brands and it has served me well so far....remember, I'm a day hunter primarily. It doesn't really get that cold here in NM, so the insulating layers were a question mark for me, and I just haven't had an opportunity to recoup some funds to look at the rain gear.

2 - Merino is expensive, and the UA stuff is very durable. As a day hunter, is this an item that I can add later as needs dictate, or am I missing out on the holy grail?

3 - Did I screw up in my other purchases? The prices were good, so I did get a little excited, and I think I may have some redundancies, but....you never know.

Anyhow, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:

kaboku68

WKR
FL underlayers are expensive but worth it. Buy one set for you and one for your wife for lounging around the house. It is that comfortable.

Sincerely
Thomas

OP
A

Agar426

FNG
So, how do the merino baselayers fit? I get their anti-microbial qualities, but what about the fit? The thing I like about UA products is they keep their fit as the day goes on. Does the merino keep its "shape" as the day goes on, or does it loosen up like cotton? Is it stretchy? No stretch?

Last edited:

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
For is good, I have not had any issue with FL losing their fit. They are meant to be worn for several days. Their boxers are awesome too.

Frosty82

WKR
If you are wearing the same clothes for days, ditch the UA and get some merino wool. UA stinks after a couple of hard days. I wore core-4-element 2 years ago and didn't have any real issues. Updated to KUIU this past year and I was even happier. Regardless, wool trumps UA if you are wearing it for more than a couple of days. If you are going home every night it doesn't matter much.

Side note, are you from SODAK?

OP
A

Agar426

FNG
If you are wearing the same clothes for days, ditch the UA and get some merino wool. UA stinks after a couple of hard days. I wore core-4-element 2 years ago and didn't have any real issues. Updated to KUIU this past year and I was even happier. Regardless, wool trumps UA if you are wearing it for more than a couple of days. If you are going home every night it doesn't matter much.

Side note, are you from SODAK?

How do they (UA vs. Merino) compare for one day at a time?

I'm from northern NM.....20 minutes away from the Valles Caldera!

Frosty82

WKR
Personally, some people might disagree with me...if you aren't wearing the same clothes for days on end I would go with whatever floats your boat. For me, there is no way I could wear UA for 7-12 days straight up here like I can with merino wool. Stink factor. Also, I find wool more comfy. If you have the option to change everyday or 2 I would go with whatever is available and cheaper.

K, only asked because Agar is a small town in SD where my Dad used to work.

tttoadman

WKR
Agar,
I have had good luck with all of the C4E gear. Some people react a bit more to the merino, and need to step up to a better quality. I find the fit to be very good for days on end.

I always wear the merino bottoms under the pants. With that in mind, I find the Element pants are too hot for about anything over 20deg.

A little redundancy isn't that bad, but I carry the same 4 pcs whether early or late season.
C4E merino tops and bottoms and briefs
C4E Assault midweight top
Sitka Kelvin Light Vest
C4E Torrent Rain Jacket

I consider the Torrent jacket to be better for early season. I will be looking for a better set of rain gear.

Backstrap

FNG
You pretty much nailed it, especially if its all in MM. I wish I would've gotten the rain gear myself. There are other more reasonably priced brands of merino as well. I've had good luck with Redram.

C4E has been pretty good for me...cheap zippers that fall apart and awkwardly large knee pads are my only complaints so far. I don't know if you have to match, but first lite's llano short sleeve shirts are fantastic for early fall archery as are the red dessert boxers. Merino is equally good in the heat as it is in the cold. Like frosty said though, if you're just day hunting and comfortable with synthetic base layers then rock those. Now is a great time of year to get out and find the combinations of what you bought that will work best for you...and what else you might need.

OP
A

Agar426

FNG
Thanks everyone for all of the feedback! Great info! I'm new to this tech gear game, so I'm a sponge right now, trying to learn all I can. Reading manufacturer's literature is helpful to learn about the design intent and features, but hearing from people who have used the products is the best way to learn. Keep it comin'! ;)

As a day hunter, I realize it's not as critical with regard to the merino gear, but we'll put in plenty of miles on our hunts, and having pants that breathe, or don't bind, or whatever else I believe will be the type of thing that I don't really "notice", which to me is the point. If I'm not thinking about my clothes, then they're working. If I "notice" my pants binding each time I lift my leg to climb up the side of a hill for example, then I'm not focusing on the task at hand.

Had my highline pants and element jacket out snowshoeing yesterday. first time with tech clothing and the movement and flexibility was awesome. it was 20 degrees and i had on a light poly tops and bottoms, a sweatshirt and the jacket and pants and was plenty warm. Definitely the best christmas present to myself this year.

OP
A

Agar426

FNG
Had my highline pants and element jacket out snowshoeing yesterday. first time with tech clothing and the movement and flexibility was awesome. it was 20 degrees and i had on a light poly tops and bottoms, a sweatshirt and the jacket and pants and was plenty warm. Definitely the best christmas present to myself this year.

I missed a pair of Highlines for sale a few weeks ago, my size and in MM, new with tags! I was out calling coyotes the day the auction ended....damn! I am hoping to run across another deal, but I am also a little fearful that I may have too much overlap. ;) The highlines do seem like the type that would cover 80% of situations.

Nuke Man

WKR
I was curious about Merino as well. I wore UA for ever and I thought no way could anything be better. This past year I got a mid weight set from First Lite and the heavy top from Kuiu. They are 100 times more comfortable than UA! No stink, and they are warmer. I have ditched all my old base layers. No way will I go back after trying merino! Best upgrade I've done!