Talk me out of a Chassis (CA MPR)

mt100gr.

WKR
I know they already have a couple of prototypes they are testing and I think they’ve made it a priority, so I’m betting we’ll see it very soon. As is, it wouldn’t be ideal to shoot longer strings of fire, but for realistic hunting applications it hasn’t been an issue.
Did you go with the folder? I'm curious how the XLR folder locks up, how solid?

Superchop

FNG
Did you go with the folder? I'm curious how the XLR folder locks up, how solid?

Yep, I have folders on almost all my chassis. Totally solid. I really like their new folders that came out this past year...even better. You can adjust the folders so that it locks up really tight And you can adjust the tension on the release button.

mt100gr.

WKR
Yep, I have folders on almost all my chassis. Totally solid. I really like their new folders that came out this past year...even better. You can adjust the folders so that it locks up really tight And you can adjust the tension on the release button.
Good to hear. Thanks for that information. You have any pictures of yours? I haven't seen many pictures of the XLR folder other than marketing shots. A top view with it folded would be great!

OP
LineandBuck

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
It shoots good I've put 2 boxes through it, my 7 year old actually shot it a few times. Hit the 100 yard gong every time he pulled the trigger. Says its easier than his ruger precision rimfire, does that mean I get to buy another one?

Photo Feb 15, 11 13 02.png

mt100gr.

WKR
It shoots good I've put 2 boxes through it, my 7 year old actually shot it a few times. Hit the 100 yard gong every time he pulled the trigger. Says its easier than his ruger precision rimfire, does that mean I get to buy another one?

View attachment 155165

I'm still battling the chassis urge - do the factory magazines with MPR in 6.5 PRC allow for longer COAL or they standard short action AICS? I know they use a short action receiver...

Also, did you happen to weigh yours - curious how it compares to CA's listed specs.

Thanks

MattB

WKR
My daughter has an XLR chassis and I really like it. Pro's are the almost infinite adjustability, mudularity, the pistol grip which I really like from an ergo perspective, the option of a folding stock, the lack of needing to bed it, and the cool factor.

The con's are the weight, how cold aluminum can be, and potentially the uncommon mounting hardware for slings and such, and the weird factor.

OP
LineandBuck

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still battling the chassis urge - do the factory magazines with MPR in 6.5 PRC allow for longer COAL or they standard short action AICS? I know they use a short action receiver...

Also, did you happen to weigh yours - curious how it compares to CA's listed specs.

Thanks
short action mag AICS, specifically I think its the 300 WSM mags. I haven't weighed mine, I usually don't weigh the things I don't want to compromise on so I don't get wigged out on 6 oz here and there. My wife loaned out "her food scale" (my gear scale) I'll weigh it this week.

What made you go with the 6.5 PRC? I’m debating on getting this same rifle but looking at .308, .300 Win, or even .338 Lapua.

OP
LineandBuck

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
What made you go with the 6.5 PRC? I’m debating on getting this same rifle but looking at .308, .300 Win, or even .338 Lapua.
I wanted a more long range capable round than my 308, but modest recoil so my son could shoot it. Ballistically the PRC is pretty close to a 7 mag with 162's, its good enough for all North American game in my opinion.

I underestimated the recoil reducing effectiveness of the muzzle break, in hindsight, I probably could've went with 300 win mag but some would argue the 6.5 prc is a better option.

I wanted a more long range capable round than my 308, but modest recoil so my son could shoot it. Ballistically the PRC is pretty close to a 7 mag with 162's, its good enough for all North American game in my opinion.

I underestimated the recoil reducing effectiveness of the muzzle break, in hindsight, I probably could've went with 300 win mag but some would argue the 6.5 prc is a better option.

what would be your opinion on as to why not get a .338 Lapua

OP
LineandBuck

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
what would be your opinion on as to why not get a .338 Lapua
It’s less efficient and less economical than I ever wanted. 300 RUM would be my choice on the extreme side of things and I wouldn’t need a Lapua bolt face.

For the sake of conversation if you are thinking of going down that road look into a 300 Terminator.

Last edited: