Talk me out of buying a GoPro

So I am toying with the idea of starting to video some of my hunts and fishing trips. I just want to make some videos for the memories and to share with friends and family. I have no desire to be a YouTube star and anything like that. Just simple video making for my outdoor adventures and family vacations etc. Is the GoPro decent enough to do that? I know I could go with a regular camcorder type device but I like the simplicity and ruggedness of the GoPro. Something I can throw in my back pack and not worry too much about it getting ruined. What's everyone's thoughts/feedback? I hate spending the money on something I won't like or use.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Only thing about GoPro footage is it makes everything look way far off. You can shoot something at 20yds and it looks like 50 on a GoPro. That's about the only complaint I have. There's some pretty decent cameras that will shoot video footage for the price range of a GoPro, but the GoPro has its advantages.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
T
Yeah I was reading that about the GoPros. Is it really that bad? The videos I have seen on Youtube looked pretty good but you never know how much editing they did either. I guess I could use my iPhone if i needed more zoom but it is kinda nice having just one device for video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO you are MUCH better off with either the Fuji XP130 or the Olympus TG5. Both are great cameras, Olympus has a little better lens. They have zoom lenses are waterproof to over 60', can withstand sub zero temperatures. Better sensor and firmware then the action cams.
Give me a call to discuss. Great rebates on both
I am here until 6 thru Friday and Saturday 10-5

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
GoPro's suck for hunting IME. Batteries die really fast and footage never seems to be great, its ok at best. Like @sneaky said, it always seems like the animal is way off in the distance even at 20 yards.

herd90

Lil-Rokslider
IMO you are MUCH better off with either the Fuji XP130 or the Olympus TG5. Both are great cameras, Olympus has a little better lens. They have zoom lenses are waterproof to over 60', can withstand sub zero temperatures. Better sensor and firmware then the action cams.
Give me a call to discuss. Great rebates on both
I am here until 6 thru Friday and Saturday 10-5
What kind of mounting options for a tree stand hunter for the Olympus?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

young7.3

WKR
I have a hero 3 and 5. The 5 is leaps and bounds better than the 3. You have several different aspect ratios to choose from. Linear and narrow make the footage much more realistic than the hero 3 footage did. You can also shoot in 4k or 2.5 k and zoom in during post processing. Overall I'm happy with the hero 5 and it's features for $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadDawg

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a small canon or something. GoPros aren't worth the money unless you are filming 10 yards. Jmo

FURMAN

WKR
A Gopro is great for b roll but it would not be my first camera.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm a dumbass, let's get that straight now.

I've lost 5 goPros in 4 years trying to get sketchy shots and every time the reason I lost one was because I neglected to tether the dang thing to my boat.

Won't convince you NOT to buy one, just to avoid the pain of repeating my mistakes.

Mike 338

WKR
For the most part, videos of our own hunting stuff is a lot like somebody else's wedding pictures/videos. Nobody's interested.

Check out Also. They sell on Amazon and are a third of the price. They all come loaded with mounts and two batteries, and they have tons of different models. Just as good.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
T
Yeah I saw those other ones on Amazon. They look interesting. I mostly want it to just relive the memories of the hunt. I don’t care about producing a top notch film. Still kicking around the options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Heavy metal music is a turnoff to me. Gotta figure on something more universal. No I didn't watch the video cause I usually don't.

Jimss

WKR
I've been using GoPros for years on fishing and hunting trips. They work great for super close footage but not so good for anything else. The places I use mine a lot is for catch and release fishing. I've gotten some crazy-good underwater footage from catch and release fishing. Also got some fantastic underwater footage of spawning salmon in Alaska this fall in Alaska....attached it to the end of my flyrod! I've seen some great videos taken while turkey hunting....setting up a gopro next to decoys. Toms strutted by and beat up a decoy that was around 6' away! There are lots of close up options!

I have a waterproof pocket camera that takes just as good video plus photos that I've done the same thing. The audio is a lot better since it isn't in a waterproof case. If I had the choice I'd probably buy the waterproof pocket camera....I've used and abused mine and it works great.

My preference for taking videos while scouting and hunts is a small pocket camcorder. I bought one on Craigslist for around $80 that takes fantastic HD video. The video and sound quality is WAY better than GoPro and a chunk better than the video with the camera mentioned above. It has a 50x zoom which is the reason I like it so much. It isn't waterproof but for $80 I don't care something happens to it. I carry it in a waterbag in rainy, wet weather. You can get a heck of a deal on an almost new camcorder on Craigslist...electronics are always tough to sell and changing so older models that work fantastic are a bargain!

Cell phones take great pics and fair video...so that's another option.

With that said I like a variety of cameras and video equipment! It's nice having a choice! I often use several on every trip!