Target pack weight

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
I completed my first attempt at a pack in hunt this year. I wish I would have found rokslide before the trip! I think we carried more weight in then what most of you come out with when the pack is heavy.

OR Archer

WKR
When I weigh my pack I don't include my bow or binos in the weight. I also don't pack in more than a liter of water when I go in as everywhere I elk hunt has plenty of water. So just enough water to drink on my hike in. I also keep my gear down to a minimum. Here is what I usually carry with me for gear:

Pack
Tent
Sleeping Bag
sleeping pad
water filter
stove
5 quarter bags - caribou gear brand
50ft paracord
small first aid kit
head lamp
small camera
compass
small camera tripod
flag tape
knives
food
clothes - one set of outer layer, rain gear, base layer(2 tops), 3 pair of socks, and a couple pairs of fresh skivvies

Pretty minimal list but it works for me. Depending on how much food I bring Ill usually weigh in around 45-48 pounds. I could shave some weight if I upgraded some of my gear and come in under 45. Im sure there are a few misc items I have forgotten but this covers the majority of what I carry.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
I weigh in around 40 to 44 lbs depending on what my mid day food is thats on a 7 day planned hunt .. 4 days and less is quite a bit less in weight because I have found I just dont eat that much.. So after about 3 nights I plan on my mid day snacking to increase !

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I guess thats why I don't get too caught up on the weight thing. Just go with what I know I need regardless of the final talley ends up being. Its nice to know for ME what my pack weighs but it means nothing to the next guy in reality. Because my pack for 10 days comes in at 72 pounds lets say most would scoff at that. And thats what I mean, I know I'll need a 1 pound sat phone, a 1.5 pound life vest, a 7 pound raft and inflation bag, 7 pounds of spotter/tripod, 2.5 pounds of paddles. And that is some extras I'd take on that particular 10 day trip. Whereas the next guy isn't counting is weapon, binos, or water. for is he taking the nearly 2 pounds of gear I mentioned above. Just makes comparing packweights for hunts especially for folks in different climates nearly impossible.

Really the only pack weights that matter are your own and working on lightening or improving upon what goes into ones pack based on YOUR previous backpack weight for a similar trip. Comparing what a guy that goes into the desert for 10 days to hunt with to what a guy might need on a 10 day packraft float hunt in Alaska are two different animals, which is why I still keep a running spreadsheet of the gear and weight I pack up, but really don't send it out anymore as it doesn't do many people much good to see what I pack as much of it doesn't apply for their needs.

OP
ohhiitznik
I always try to lighten my pack, as it will allow me to go further, faster, and longer than I could before. I never thought 5 lbs would make a difference, but it really does in the scheme of things. Especially when my usual 1 way distance in is about 6-7 miles

I always try to lighten my pack, as it will allow me to go further, faster, and longer than I could before. I never thought 5 lbs would make a difference, but it really does in the scheme of things. Especially when my usual 1 way distance in is about 6-7 miles

5 lbs is huge to me. 1-2 lbs is no big deal to myself but my 'concern' grows exponentially with each lb there after! To me the difference in 35 and 40 lbs is pretty big. But once you get over 75 its all going to suck and my pace isn't going to change very much from 75-100 lbs(obviously talking about packing an animal out)...

Mike

OR Archer

WKR
Really the only pack weights that matter are your own and working on lightening or improving upon what goes into ones pack based on YOUR previous backpack weight for a similar trip. Comparing what a guy that goes into the desert for 10 days to hunt with to what a guy might need on a 10 day packraft float hunt in Alaska are two different animals, which is why I still keep a running spreadsheet of the gear and weight I pack up, but really don't send it out anymore as it doesn't do many people much good to see what I pack as much of it doesn't apply for their needs.

I agree a 100% on this. The logistics of each hunt and hunters needs is totally different. I think a better question to ask is what is your total essential gear weight, such as pack, shelter, bag, and pad. We all use these items no matter the duration or location of our hunts. All other gear is subject to personal preference on its importance to the success of a particular hunt.