Tarps

Tex68w

WKR
So I am thinking about adding a light weight tarp to my pack to use as an emergency shelter. I thought I could use a small tarp as a lean too in order to get out of the weather when we get caught away from camp or in case we have to over night away from camp. This would be something that doesn't weigh or cost much and can be carried in my pack during bevy/day pack mode while my main shelter is back at camp.

Right now I am heavily considering the Kifaru Sheep Tarp as it's lighter and smaller than the DST from SO. Any thoughts on this from those that have done the same?

I've been using an Integral Desighn Siltarp2 for at least a decade now. I added a paratarp/stove combo a few years ago so I don't sleep under it much anymore but I still carry it and use it a lot. I love the versatility of a tarp. I've used it for placing game meat on in burn zones to keep the meat clean of ash. It gets used a lot at the meat poll for both sun and rain protection. It's great for kitchen duty at a base camp in the rain. Great for sitting out storms. I've used it so many times when I wasn't really planning on needing it that I now consider it a part of my base weight in my pack regardless of what tent/paratarp I plan on sleeping in.

A few pic.....
ee0a23c9fc32580299826dc163554345.jpg

290f629e98cbe82925508fd13221adea.jpg

22d7d8c5d306feb7c1d77491bc655dcb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
Wow, so many uses I had never even considered. Thanks for sharing Broodbuster! Now I just have to decide which of the two is a better buy.

tttoadman

WKR
Six moons Gatewood cape. Poncho, tarp, and an enclosed shelter when you want it. I can set this up with a second pole holding the front completely open for glassing or sitting on a stand when the weather just won't let up. This pic has my removable nest in it.
IMG_1330_zpsmjvbs0md.jpg~original

Any rect tarps from Jimmy tarps or others as long as it has a center hang loop and a pole pocket. If you have these features, you have many options for setup.

kipper09

WKR
Tttoadman. Can you pitch that tarp like a normal flat tarp any way? So sit it up to cover meat when breaking down and animal? Not sure I'm being clear but maybe you understand??

Beendare

WKR
So many reasons to add a tarp to your kit in the mtns....its a no brainer.

I use one in conjunction with my tent on some backpack hunts....and always have my GoLite poncho with me on mtn hunts.

tttoadman

WKR
It is definitely a "mid". I have added the long guy lines to extend so I get as tall as I can with my pole extended. It doesn't have a specific spine, so I think it would be a shit show trying to make a quick shelter between a couple trees. You can hang this in the center by chocking a rock in the hood/vent, so if a guy has a bunch of line, you could tie this up pretty high. The rect tarp or a diamond hammock tarp start to sound a lot better?

kipper09

WKR
Haha. Everything has its place. The mid to me really interests me. I just can't quite make up my mind which way to go. I'd like to have something to make a quick flat shelter or tarp like cover. But having a way to sit up and glass out of weather or have full enclosure for an emergency shelter would be nice.

There's some great YouTube videos out there on all the different ways to pitch a tarp. I've never used most of them but nice to have in the quiver if needed some day.

oldgoat

WKR
In my pack all the time, works great as a super quick rain shelter, just lay it out and put pack on one end as a weight, pull the tarp back over the pack and yourself, hold the other end of the tarp with your feet and wait out the storm! Also used it for shade and shelter next to rent. Weighs almost nothing, I do carry a few groundhog stakes in my pack all the time with it too.

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a Seek Outside DST tarp for this exact same reason. It's 10'x10' and it's only $139. I'm really excited to try it out. It's in the mail right now, but when it shows up, I'll be sure to post your my thoughts.

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
I just picked up a Seek Outside DST tarp for this exact same reason. It's 10'x10' and it's only $139. I'm really excited to try it out. It's in the mail right now, but when it shows up, I'll be sure to post your my thoughts.

Let USB know what you think. It's a DST or Sheep Tarp for myself.

JPD350

WKR
I have a Rab 2 siltarp that is 8x10 and I take it everywhere, makes a great front porch. I had a smaller tarp but it was......too small
the Rab2 tarps are are on sale a backcountry.com 107 bucks and free shipping, if you don't like it they will take it back.

Attachments

• P1020431.jpg
    P1020431.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 141

ljalberta

WKR
I take a Siltarp 1. 7 or 8 oz, 5'x8', and can be had for about $70. Works beautifully for getting out of the weather, but would recommend a larger size (like the one Broodbuster uses) if your with someone.

Felix40

WKR
You could easily make a flat tarp for about $30 if you just want to try it out. It would involve very little skill. Then decide if you want something more fancy.

GFY

Lil-Rokslider

I always have mine in my pack. Handy to wait out storms and such. This was in the breaks last year bow hunting with my wife. Mine is a homemade version about 8x10 with long guy lines.

I use a tarp as my primary early season shelter (archery elk, mule deer, antelope) and it's awesome. Like everyone else has said, the versatility of a tarp is unmatched. I only take my single man tent if it's a short hike (1-3 miles from the truck). Otherwise I use my 10x10 customs tarp my wife made me. I'm thinking of making another one with Velcro or zip in doors to close off and adding a stove jack for late season hunts.

They can be made for cheap, and weigh next to nothing, easy choice to take one everywhere I go.