Tarptent useage in AK

Who on here has used a Tarptent in Alaska or anywhere else with bad weather? I love the weight, the designs look great as well... Wondering how they hold up to wind and moderate snow as well as their ability to minimize condensation.

Intended use would be early spring for bears and early fall for sheep.

Thanks,

Nick

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have owned a cloudburst and double rainbow. Cool tents for sure but I prerfer the space/weight of a mid style tipi if not using a four season hilleberg.

OP
Nick Muche
I just KNEW you would have used one.. lol...

Will they work for a sheep hunt in Aug? Will they stand up to moderate wind?

A Hille will forever have a place in my gear stash, but they are just a bit to heavy for me to fully commit to when not absolutely needed. You have an addiction, so I know you understand :)

Bighorse

WKR
I used one on a sheep hunt once in the Chugach. I wouldn't feel good using it in poor conditions. Staking and getting it all taunt and secure is sometimes a pain. If the winds shift durring the night you could have an issue too. I too like a small tepee shelter and still use a solid OR Advanced Bivy inside of it. Yes they will work, expecially if you have a good bivy you depend on and trust. If the shelter fails than you can roll it up, crawl back in your bivy and suck it up for the night.

Attachments

• foster photos 176.jpg
    foster photos 176.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 160

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I just KNEW you would have used one.. lol...

Will they work for a sheep hunt in Aug? Will they stand up to moderate wind?

A Hille will forever have a place in my gear stash, but they are just a bit to heavy for me to fully commit to when not absolutely needed. You have an addiction, so I know you understand :)

Sure they will work! the cloudburst is the one I would get again if I HAD to after using the double rainbow and the Cloudburst.

Like I said though the space/weight of a 4 sided pyramid style tipi like a 10X10 Luna from Bearpaw would be MUCH more comfortable if waiting out a couple days for the fog to clear to go actually look for sheep for similar weights. Basically 2 to 3 times the space out of the elements. Both are not 4 season IMO and wouldn't want either on a wind swept ridgeline.

Basically if a 4 season tent isn't required I am going with a floorless tipi for the space/weight over a enclosed tarptent like the Cloudburst. Good tents, just not what I prefer after using tarptents and going to tipis its hard to go back.

Beendare

WKR
I would agree ith luke. i've owned the cloudburst for almost 15 yrs and no way I take that to Ak and use in an area exposed to the weather.

I would err on the safe side and get a strong 4 season tent.....

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I would say so long as you are careful on where you pitch it tarptents will works for most places in Alaska. Whether I want it to be my only shelter option when on a fly out hunt for Kodiak or Alaska Peninsula? Probably not. I would take a Hilleberg or such to leave at the strip to bail back to if stuff hit the fan. But in places where walking out is an option and such then it will work just fine.

Stid2677

WKR
I have used one for spiking out,, like Luke don't think I would rely on one as my only shelter. Does allow for a light weight spike out when the weather is not too extreme.

P8080043.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I believe Nick is referring to "Tarptents" made by Henry Shires, not tarps used as tents.

http://www.tarptent.com/

Like I said if I were to buy another the Cloudburst was pretty nice.

Just not floorless tipi nice. ;)

Bighorse

WKR
I'm so confused! Tarp, titti, tootu, tattas, tullalup...........Is it hunting season yet?! I just want to point my boots uphill, breath hard, get dirty, and eat fresh meat already.

Sure they will work! the cloudburst is the one I would get again if I HAD to after using the double rainbow and the Cloudburst.

Like I said though the space/weight of a 4 sided pyramid style tipi like a 10X10 Luna from Bearpaw would be MUCH more comfortable if waiting out a couple days for the fog to clear to go actually look for sheep for similar weights. Basically 2 to 3 times the space out of the elements. Both are not 4 season IMO and wouldn't want either on a wind swept ridgeline.

Basically if a 4 season tent isn't required I am going with a floorless tipi for the space/weight over a enclosed tarptent like the Cloudburst. Good tents, just not what I prefer after using tarptents and going to tipis its hard to go back.

Great feedback Luke. I was really close to pulling the trigger on a Supertap/Megatarp and now you have me looking at the BearPar Tipis (for 2-3 season) They are light and roomy. I do not want to get the thread off topic from the Cloudburst, but just wanted to say great info.....
BTW, Nick, when I talked to the owner of Tarptent some time back, he said the Stratospire was his best tent for horrible weather.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm so confused! Tarp, titti, tootu, tattas, tullalup...........Is it hunting season yet?! I just want to point my boots uphill, breath hard, get dirty, and eat fresh meat already.

HAHA....I hear ya...less than 5 weeks man!!! :)

Shrek

WKR

Damn do I feel your pain ! I broke down and have spent the day drinking and nearly lost control and bought a couple of rifles. I'm putting my pack on tomorrow and going hiking on my pitiful local trail.

Stid2677

WKR
I'm going to need counseling,, someone found a type of tent I do not own,,,,, :(

Frosty82

WKR
I used my Scarp 2 in ND on a few hunts, a bear hunt in PWS where it rained the whole time, and north of the Brooks Range. I was lucky and never went through any crazy weather with it. A little bit of snow and for winds, maybe 20-30 mph tops. I did have issues with condensation at times, but hard to get away from that with a single wall tent at times.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe Nick is referring to "Tarptents" made by Henry Shires, not tarps used as tents.

http://www.tarptent.com/

Like I said if I were to buy another the Cloudburst was pretty nice.

Just not floorless tipi nice. ;)

It always struck me as funny because all the packaging on that tent calls it "Henry Shire's Tarptent"....everytime we used it all I could think of is "who on earth is Henry Shires and why are we in his tarp tent." :)

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a short clip of some winds we encountered in NZ, the day before this was actually worse, wish i'd got video of that but was holding on in the tent, he,he. You can see my Double Rainbow in the center at the end of the clip, the day before the pole was being blown into the ground and it actually bent a few sections but held up. I got in and added the trekking poles and that made a big difference, stitching held up and no tears in the fabric. Had quite a bit of condensation but the snow covered the bottom so not much airflow.

My brother bought a cheap Eureka 4 season and it held up great, and I was getting on him about it and how much it weighed, he was kinda laughing in the end. We weren't expecting that kind of weather and if I do it again i'll probably get a 4 season this time as we flew in so weight wasn't' an issue.

Good luck!
[video=youtube_share;PYSSBZ_-EA4]http://youtu.be/PYSSBZ_-EA4[/video]