Taxidermist (cougar)

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Did you ever get your mount?

I was very lucky and got my big tom on Vancouver Island a few years ago. I asked my go-to taxidermist about mounting it. He admirably told me he would love to mount one but might not be the guy because cat faces are so difficult to get right.

His advice to me was be sure you see real examples of the work done by the taxidermist before you commit. Everyone has to have a first time but not on YOUR cat!

I had never really looked at cat mounts until I had my own cat and my taxidermist said this to me. Oh man, was he right! Once I started looking, there are SO many lousy cat mounts! I very rarely see one that I like. It's kept me from doing anything with my tom except bronze the skull.

He mentioned a rug - I really don't like cat rugs with an open mouth because they look like they're being tortured. For some reason bears don't give me that reaction; I like bear rugs with full heads, like SLDMTN's above. Nice rug, man!!

The part I can't figure out is -if we only use taxidermists who have already done cats - how do taxidermists get started doing cats? At some point they have to do their first one! Maybe they have have in-born talent or they apprentice for a long time, or just do a few for free until they get them right?

Last edited:

mpg07

Lil-Rokslider
Start doing their own , apprentice with someone study reference materials!
Or their just a cat person! East coast Ashley Barrett is a great one to check out
But free is not for me

Expect around $3000+ for the cat + base work. Do not pick a cat taxidermist just because he's the guy that has done all your work for you. When I shot mine I drove 3.5 hrs to drop it off and have since used this taxidermist for all my mounts. You will get what you pay for. If you have to look at it forever spend a bit extra on someone who does good work
8d85189a443e92c79f78da0b5aad1b31.jpg
0def74e7bff0cef24f4945ff37547142.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

IMG_1593.jpeg
I can recommend a taxidermist on the south side of Indianapolis if you need someone in the Midwest. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

WCB

WKR
They are worried about being caught for the human they just finished eating, you can still see their hand left over. Lol
Even if the engraving looked like a photo....Who TF would want that engraved on their rifle. I get it....it is "their" rifle but wtf.

Ralphie

WKR
Make sure that you see and like a taxidermist’s work before committing. Especially for predators. There is little accounting for taste and we all have different ideals. As can be seen on this thread.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I would say too … if you don’t know the taxidermist .. go to their shop and see what they are actually turning out vs what they bring to the show….
Learned that one the hard way. Guy was bringing his buddy’s work and showing off as his

GSPHUNTER

WKR
A guy on the Slide who lives in AZ. does great work. While I have never used him, I have seen a lot of his work and read lots of great reviews.

wyosteve

WKR
Took this photo at the Sheep Show a couple years ago. If I ever take a lion, I'm doing it like this. IMG_0179.jpeg