Tent advice

Blinddog

Lil-Rokslider
Had my 12x12 Guide Gear tent now 3 years and love it - bought it on an auction for less than 300.00. plenty of room for three guys and a stove, we run a Vented Propane. IMG_0031.JPG

BigLost

FNG
We just picked up a 14x16 for our basecamp from Wall Tent Shop. I don't think you can beat a wall tent for late season...

RO1459

FNG
I have both an outfitters tent and a Cabela's Instinct 6 person tent. The outfitters tent is for when there are three or more of us and the Instinct is for me or two of us. The Instinct is far and I mean FAR warmer than the outfitters. It is 10X10 and has plenty of room for two cots and propane heat. The vestibule is large and stores coolers and a chair with a table. Good luck.

Looking at buying a new tent
For the 2021 season. I am leaning towards a teepee
Type 2 man for colorado
Rifle seasons. I would appreciate any recommendations or
Advice yall can offer.
Thanks i advance
I was in the same boat this year, having spent time in a SeekOutside I knew I wanted a Tipi... $$$ though... So I put my skills to work and this is the DIY project I finished for this seasons adventure.
80BF9E5B-7142-4325-B79B-0A35A03B52CC.jpeg

rayporter

WKR
dont get one like this wally world--it came down flat in the middle of the night in 84.
ic8dcsj.jpg

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with others and it’s hard to beat a good Davis tent. I purchased mine used for $1000 with everything included and have lived in it for almost seven months last year. You will not regret buying larger that you think. Mine is a 12x16 and it takes about 1.5 hours solo to completely setup but it is nice a comfortable. I’ve own and lived long term in other tents, but Davis makes a solid product that should last a lifetime

Attachments

• E9179562-7BB7-484D-B186-7AFEE2CBB847.jpeg
    E9179562-7BB7-484D-B186-7AFEE2CBB847.jpeg
    584 KB · Views: 47
IMG_5310.JPG Nothing better than a canvas wall tent and wood stove for a base camp when the weather can go bad. We had 6 inches of snow about 3 hours after this picture was taken.

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
A tarp serves a purpose every day not just when it rains. If you don’t use one eventually you’ll get pinholes from hot embers that cool when they leave the stove pipe and fall onto the canvas.

I have shorter 4 foot walls on my spike tent because weight is an issue packing it in and out. But my base camp tent has 5 footers. You can walk anywhere inside once the cots are against the walls and we hang clothes from the internal frame to dry. I wouldn’t want them hanging down to my cot. I just sold my 10x12 and went to a 14x16. Now we have a 6 foot dining table in the center and an inside shower in the front corner opposite the wood stove. My tarp extends 7 feet out the front for a porch. The grill is under that as well as the firewood. No more tarping the wood and no more mud right at the front door. Can’t wait to spend 3 weeks in it this year!

I get mine from the Wall Tent Shop in Idaho. Their tents are the best I’ve found and shipping is free.

Yep .. same here with Wall Tent Shop. 16x20 and four dog stove Great set up. I can set mine up by myself in 30 minutes. Excellent base camp tent. Wall Tent Shop shipped mine fast and it’s a great tent.
3466a863cd3aaf4f180a623ba4371d7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I
Thank you everyone for the replies.
It has helped me narrow down the possibilites.

Mosby

WKR
I seldom have more than 3 of us in camp. When I am by myself I use a 10x10 Kodiak canvas tent and a propane heater. Easy to set up. Big enough.The bunk bed takes longer setting up than the tent. Highly recommend.

When there are 2-3 of us, I set up an older Cabela's 12x12 Alaknak with a wood stove. The older Alaknak had heavier fabric than what they are using now. If I ever replace the Alaknak, I will get a 14x16 or bigger wall tent. If you are going to cook inside the tent, go bigger.

There are several quality wall tent makers but if you live in Colorado, Davis would be an easy choice. There are some small differences between companies and tent features, so it pays to do some research on what features are important to you. Whiteduck mentioned above makes really nice wall tents fwiw.

My plan if I draw is to buy a 7 by 14 enclosed trailer 6 1/2 feet tall. I will be traveling
a good distance to hunt so I would be able to transport my equipment including utv
and then use it as a base camp shelter. This way if we decide to move just hook up and
move or need to bail in a hurry. I am undecided on what I would use for heat but am
looking into different options. What you guys think on this idea? Anyone out there use
a trailer for a shelter?

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My plan if I draw is to buy a 7 by 14 enclosed trailer 6 1/2 feet tall. I will be traveling
a good distance to hunt so I would be able to transport my equipment including utv
and then use it as a base camp shelter. This way if we decide to move just hook up and
move or need to bail in a hurry. I am undecided on what I would use for heat but am
looking into different options. What you guys think on this idea? Anyone out there use
a trailer for a shelter?
Make sure that someone cannot locked you inside the trailer, or even by accident. Trailers are designed to keep people out of them. Further you need to think about heat and venting as well. Lastly, think about hauling things back there that have gasoline or other petrol. Just my 2 cents.

sneaky

"DADDY"
a trailer for a shelter?
Put a propane heater in it like you put in your house. Mount it on the wall. Run carbon monoxide detectors and keep a window or vent cracked. Comfy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for your replies and suggestions. The carbon monoxide issue
is a concern and I am doing a lot of research to keep us safe and to ease
our minds when we sleep.

I’d put a stove jack down n the side or top of thst trailer and use the Hunter model of Cylinder Stoves. I’m not a fan of propane for several reasons.