Tent poles

Beendare

WKR
Anybody made a vertical tent pole from Aluminum tubing?

I need 2 total, appx 9' tall...but think fairly strong like a big tipi pole. It can be in as large as 36" long sections.

I looked at this Kelty Noahs pole, But its a tad short as are all the ones I've found,
Kelty Noah's Pole - Adjustable Aluminum Pole | items from Campmor.

The poles at tent pole technologies seem a little small in dia at 3/4" and I don't think they will support the weight of a large tent [picture small wall tent]. $160 for the seek outside poles seems like overkill. These don't have to be all that light.

I'm looking at Speedy metals but they don't guarantee a tight fit with their ID and OD dimensions given.

Maybe buy a third set of the Kelty type ones to cannibalize and add a shorter section to each of the two other sets?

Felix40

WKR
I have the kelty pole and use it for my tipi and redcliff. I think it's a good buy and you could easily buy an extra pole and use it to add sections to get the length you want. On the other hand....it's not going to be strong enough to support like a canvas wall tent if that's your goal. Even with a big tipi it will bow some as the material tightens and stretches. My gut feeling is that if you extend it to 9' it may not be studly enough for a heavy duty shelter. You'd probably be fine with something lightweight though.

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I've used this site to buy poles for a few different applications. I've used the .344 poles in 45" length(3 piece) with great luck for a couple different shelters(golite SL1, Tarptent Notch). The .742 come in 26" lengths, 4 of those those would get you real close, or 5 of them each cut a few inches....

Tent Poles

Some good info on tent poles as well...
Quest Outfitters - Outdoor Fabrics

I bought blue anodized concrete screed extensions at Menards and cut to length. You can make a 3 piece light strong pole from 2 extensions. I think they were just over $20 each.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Some good suggestions...thx guys.

I don't know how strong I need it is the problem. I think Felix is right about the Kelty pole....probably too weak at 9'. Something larger in Dia like those Screed/bullfloat handles is about perfect....thx Go4.....

I would post the ketchup diagram of my tent build...but at the rate I'm going, I'm afraid someone would steal the design ....and build it before I do! I don't mind sharing it...but I WOULD like to be the first....

Jimss

WKR
I had a pole on one of my portable blinds break a while back and found a post on this website where a guy built poles out of aluminum arrow shafts. I tried it out and it worked perfect! I found a few arrows in garbage cans at our archery range that flipped the bill. They were certainly super light and stronger than the originals! You might do a search?

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I had a pole on one of my portable blinds break a while back and found a post on this website where a guy built poles out of aluminum arrow shafts. I tried it out and it worked perfect! I found a few arrows in garbage cans at our archery range that flipped the bill. They were certainly super light and stronger than the originals! You might do a search?

i've done that for a hotwire bear fence...but we are talking support poles for a large tent here 9' long....aluminum arrows aren't going to cut it.

I need to get back on this project.....as I have my roof just about sewn and I want to check height before constructing the walls