Tent vs Bivvy

Munkish

FNG
I'm starting to collect gear for future western hunts. I'm trying to decide between a tent or a bivvy sack (and maybe a tarp).

For context, I plan on doing hunts that I can backpack into. I was in the Marines and spent plenty of time (at least several months total) sleeping outside in just a sleeping bag and bivvy sack. I've also done some ultralight backpacking in Colorado and Arizona with just a bag and a tarp. I'm not bothered by either of those. But I know a tent gives you some nice space to relax in if the weather turns bad.

Any thoughts on what might be best for hunting? Or pros/cons I might not think of?

Following for info.

Im going on my first elk hunt in October and a shelter is the last major purchase i need to make for my trip. I plan to backpack in and most likely camp in different locations through the week so im leaning toward a trekking pole supported tent or a bivvy for the weight savings and ease of setup/teardown.

Archery/ML I always just run a bivy with a SIL nylon tarp/ tarp shelter to keep the rain off, but I hunt off my back during the early seasons, so fastest setup and breakdown is the most important factor. 1st rifle and later a tent is nice, especially if it looks like it will snow. Floorless is faster to set up if you are going to be moving camp daily, if you are stationary, doesn't matter as much

Having spent plenty of time myself in just a bag and bivy like you in the military, I would highly recommend a light weight bivy (like borah gear) and a relatively large tarp or tipi tent. Far more comfortable and spacious, and not much if any heavier in your pack. Rely on the tarp to keep you dry and the bivy for just a little added protection from water, bugs, and keeping you bag dry and clean.

I have a Tarptent Notch Li with a solid interior and an MLD ultralight bivy. With those two I can choose to go full tent or lighten up even more using it as a tarp with the bivy. Both combo's are pretty light and plenty of room for one and gear. As a tarp I have room for the dog and in a pinch you could squeeze two under it but not much if any room for gear.

I have a bivy which I have never deployed. I ended up getting a Stone Glacier 1.5 man tent that is so light I doubt I've ever really need the bivy in a practical sense. Kuiu makes a similar offering and my hunting partner uses it successfully every year and no complaints on either. I used a tarp, pad and bag for a number of years, but bugs and other disruptions to my sleep (critters chewing on gear and running around on me) pushed me back to tents. The SG tent isn't that expensive and is modular if you only want the mesh. I think all in with stakes my shelter is probably a pound. Can't beat that in my mind. Good luck on the search and the subsequent hunts!

A bivy adds the versatility to bivy out when conditions permit and also allows for just a partial tarp type shelter in more dramatic weather. Bivying exclusively with no shelter of any kind is not advisable and 100% of Roksliders will agree.

I have a bivy which I have never deployed. I ended up getting a Stone Glacier 1.5 man tent that is so light I doubt I've ever really need the bivy in a practical sense. Kuiu makes a similar offering and my hunting partner uses it successfully every year and no complaints on either. I used a tarp, pad and bag for a number of years, but bugs and other disruptions to my sleep (critters chewing on gear and running around on me) pushed me back to tents. The SG tent isn't that expensive and is modular if you only want the mesh. I think all in with stakes my shelter is probably a pound. Can't beat that in my mind. Good luck on the search and the subsequent hunts!
What model is your SG tent?

If the weather is going to be warm enough for mosquitoes and/or ticks I'll pack a tent to save my sanity. Otherwise I prefer a tarp + bivy setup for the lower volume, lighter weight, and smaller footprint.

I would not go bivy only, and I have the same background as far as those Gore-Tex caskets they issued in the Marines. I sometimes go tarp only, but never bivy only. The only time I use a tent is truck camping where weight doesn’t matter, or in the summer. Bugs aside, a bivy feels disgusting in the heat, at least for me.

Great comments on this question. I love the light weight, ease, and speed of a tarp and bivy.......fast and light. But here in the west we have a lot of ticks in the spring and a tent is better for me during that time of year. So my conclusion for all of us............lets all buy both :)) Now lets start a thread on how to convince the wife of such necessities for all us hunters. Now that would be an interesting read!!!!

Great comments on this question. I love the light weight, ease, and speed of a tarp and bivy.......fast and light. But here in the west we have a lot of ticks in the spring and a tent is better for me during that time of year. So my conclusion for all of us............lets all buy both :)) Now lets start a thread on how to convince the wife of such necessities for all us hunters. Now that would be an interesting read!!!!
I like the idea of that thread. I had both a tent and a tarp shelter before I got married but sold them after our first child was born and we were moving/downsizing a bunch of stuff. Now I look back and wonder why I sold so much of my backpacking gear...

Bugs and month drive what I grab off the shelf. All have a time and place.

I like the idea of that thread. I had both a tent and a tarp shelter before I got married but sold them after our first child was born and we were moving/downsizing a bunch of stuff. Now I look back and wonder why I sold so much of my backpacking gear...
May God forgive you of such sins my friend. :))

I'll occasionally use a bivy, typically early season with a very favorable forecast. Advantages are it takes a very small footprint, quick to setup and quick to pack.

I found a spot where elk were watering (water almost nonexistent in this area) and was able to get above it on a small shelf with the bivy. I was able to glass until the last shred of light, the next morning with a cup of coffee in hand, I could continue to glass.

BUT in the scheme of the entire hunting season, it's a lightweight tent for me. The weight savings of a bivy of a very light tent are just a few ounces, the comfort and protection of tent vs a bivy is HUGE.

On the scenario described above I had to put a few small diameter logs on the one side for fear of rolling off a cliff :D

ey3QSLC.jpg

Tents have come to such an extent now that bivy is almost irrelevant I'd say. With these 1-2 pound full cover tents it's hard to justify a bivy anymore unless you are a mountaineer who knees to bivouac on a narrow mtn ledge somewhere. If you have the luxury of getting and keeping both by all means, but if I had just one, tents all the way

Back