Texas public land bacon!

texag10

WKR
mLpFNIAh.jpg

Some background on me: I started hunting last year with some ill-fated trips to the piney woods where I saw plenty of deer by being willing to walk in further than most. Only problem is I saw them as I was walking to a "better" spot! Since then I've killed a pig in some awesome west Texas canyon country with my AR and a whitetail doe with my bow over a feeder on some private land in Oklahoma.

I don't have the gene that allows me to sit in a stand for hours on end, so Texas hunting isn't exactly my thing. I've spent about 10 days on this plot of land which allows archery hunting for pigs for people that get a general permit and a draw for deer (which I don't have). It's been a running joke with my wife that I only see what I can't shoot, with only fleeting sightings of pigs or seeing them sitting in bow range on private land, but seeing multiple deer every day (today was a personal best, 11 deer in 4 hours).

It all came together as I was walking a narrow strip of public land to get to a hard to reach plot. I was just moving along, crashing over the thick bed of leaves and pushing aside our wonderful greenbriar vines. I ended up spooking this pig a bit, and he stopped broadside off to my left at 20 yards. I don't even remember nocking an arrow, but as I did he moved behind a tree. As I came to full draw I estimated the range at 25, got my anchor, and set my sights in the only available opening. Luckily he zigged when he should have zagged, but left me with the option of taking a Texas heart shot or letting him go. I decided to let the arrow do its job and let fly. THWACK! He ran off with a grunt, leaving me to sweat it out if I made the right decision.

After a 45 minute wait I started trailing him and was immediately rewarded with this:

ZJi5HbEh.jpg

The blood trail remained bright red for, with a big splash every step. I found my arrow after about 30 yards, covered in blood from broadhead to nock. I lost the trail at one point, but stayed with it and found him after a total shot to drop of 100 yards. This was my first time breaking down the animal on my own, and the gutless method videos I've watched served me well. The shot couldn't have turned out better, with the entry point basically in his ass and the arrow stopping against his front left leg. Super impressed with the rage hypo and black eagle rampages, this was an easy 24"+ of penetration. Walking out with a full pack was the best kind of suck, and has me even more excited for my elk hunt next year!

Thanks for reading, this site and it's community have played a huge role in growing my passion for hunting and have given me invaluable knowledge.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty low odds shot glad it worked out for you but you have to pass marginal shots especially with archery equipment. Harvesting on hard hunted public ground is an awesome accomplishment congratulations

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gumbl3

WKR
General permit, deer draw, green briars.. I know this spot and I have come out many a night there after hunting with my arms bleeding from all the briars. I didn't draw this year for deer either.