The 7 Yard Bull!

ElkNut1

WKR
It was Sept 23 & one of the finest days to be hunting elk, many elk have hit the dirt on this date or close to it, it's Prime time for sure! On this day I was hunting with a fellow Forum member, we left just before daylight, we had left the rig off an old dirt road to head into an area I had hunted several times in the past. We covered 2-1/2 miles & a 1000' in elevation over several benches to crest a ridge to access a bench that I knew held elk if they were there! (grin) We'd bugled near a dozen times here & there in Run & Gun fashion over a one hour span on our way up to see if anything was around before they heard or spotted us. Once on top we called again & no response. This benched area is a mile long & choked full of downfall from old burns & now was littered with brush & willows growing up years after the burns. There was still a few green timber pockets that survived the burns here with a few 1/2 acre meadows strewn about with small tributaries of water that would pool up here & there. This area is up & down not flat at all.

It's away from most the crowds yet rugged country to enter so it sees little pressure although not that far in. Of course we are hunting OTC Public Lands so you never know what you'll run into. We spend a good hour on this bench rummaging around looking for sign that elk were there. No sign to be found as we checked & called into various areas looking for life! We continued along the bench doing our best to follow game trails through this tangled mess of downfall, it was working OK for the most part but really slows your advancement down to a snails pace in many spots.

As we approach the end of the bench it pours off steeply down into a long running east/west draw that runs for a couple miles. We are aprox 3/4 mile & 1600' above the bottom of the draw, the other side of the draw we can see is about the same elevation as where we are. We are now on top but on the south facing slope looking across at the north face. We thought we heard a bugle on the face we were on way to our left which would be east from our present position.

Not sure about the bugle we heard as it seemed distant so we stopped & just listened. Sure enough we heard it again so started moving towards it but staying near the top of the mountain in side-hill fashion. It was near 10 a.m. so we knew this bull was bedded or about to. We cut the distance 100 yards or so & now heard a 2nd bull near the same level as the first. Cutting that short distance helped with hearing them better but we were still a long ways off. As we stood there we hear a bugle from down below, it was on our side & aprox a couple hundred yards off the valley floor. I had him pegged as a hunter as I can now hear him better, bummer! This must have been what the first bull was bugling at? We just couldn't hear the hunter until we changed position. The bugle from the hunter appeared to be 500 yards away from the bull.

The hunter kept moving towards the real bulls bugling every 50 yards or so, the one bull most likely the herd bull responded back. It was hard to hear him clearly, we could only hear the end of his high pitch but that was about to change! (grin) The hunter continued up towards the bugling & continued bugling himself. He was now close to 300 yards from the bulls, we could not see a thing due to the dark timber we were hunting, we could only hear what was unfolding! I looked at my new friend & said he's going to turn that bull into a runner, he looked back & asked if I was sure that lower bugle was a hunter, I said absolutely just listen to his sounds, they are very predictable & unmistakable. Shortly after that the bulls bugle was now getting further away from the hunters bugle, he has now pushed them out of their bedding area on that south slope. Where would they go? Hopefully up to us on top! (grin)

The hunter didn't give up he kept coming up the steep brush choked mountain, kudos to him for putting out a serious effort, he's already come a couple miles just to get to that point, he was persistent for sure. Well we felt like it might be a stroke of luck that these elk would head our way, heh you never know! We could see the hunter was fighting a loosing battle, the real bull had now increased the distance to 400 yards+ & moving away from him. We could tell now by the bigger bulls bugle it was definitely a herd bull with a satellite trailing the group as they were closer to us. We tried to guess where they would top out on the mountain we were on so moved towards the bugles best we could. Within a few minutes we were under 200 yards from the bugling bull & it appeared we were on a collision course, sweet!

" I had to do it in two sections as the Site wouldn't allow the whole thing!"

ElkNut/Paul

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
As we headed for a landmark above us we felt if we could just get there first we'd have a chance. I wanted my buddy here to shoot so we both knew that. We got to about 80 yards from our landmark spot that would put us on a knoll looking into a shallow 30' drop into the small ravine that the elk sounded like they were coming up. At this point we had lost all sound of the bugling hunter, not sure if he had given up? That last 80 yards was killer! We hit a wall of downfall that was unbelievable choked with 10' high willows & chokecherry thorn brush with no game trail through it. There were spots where we were off the ground 12' high on the pick up stix downfall & no where to go but bail off & struggle like hell to get through & under it trying to close the distance. We looked like pretzels trying to navigate those precious few yards. No kidding!

We could now hear the herd bull bugle within 150 yards & coming with his cows, they were making a ton of noise & heading right up the ravine we had hoped for, we could see at the rate they were moving we had little hope of making the top of the knoll before they crossed in the draw. We were beside ourselves struggling like mad men trying to get through but to no avail. Our only hope was that the elk decided to cross the knoll to our side, they didn't & we could hear them going by out of sight, the herd bull even rubbed in in a bit by bugling coarsely as he passed! Grrr!! No reason for us to call there as we had zero chance of a shot.

Gotta love the burns! (grin) Guys it can get ugly in this stuff! Well this bull & harem ran out of our lives with us stuck in this mess. We still have not heard or seen the hunter! --- It's now creeping up on 11:30 or so & we are out of the downfall & back on a game trail. We decide to head back into the middle of this mile long bench but this time we drop off to the west side of the main bench where we can see a pretty cool view of unlimited mountains & drainage's. We park our butts there & decide to take a snack break in the coolness of the shaded white firs. About that time well above us we hear the hunters bugle, he's 100's of yards away overlooking the bench I presume. He bugles there a 1/2 dozen times from the same spot then gives up & we never hear him again. We remove our packs & settle in for a needed snack & rest.

We are there 30 minutes or so doing nothing & hearing nothing, we have a few items scattered out of our packs & generally when in this situation of resting I eventually toss out a bugle or two for grins because you just never know, most times I do it before I sit down but that hunter wasn't far away then & didn't want him coming our way. Well in time I tossed out that bugle & all hell broke loose a few hundred yards above us but not from the bench area!

Instead it was more to our left coming from another ridge that died into the bench above us & to our right. The bugle was 200' higher than us but thermals were still coming down in our direction even though it was getting close to noon. It was one of those shady spots on the west face we were now facing where sun hadn't poked through to heat the earths surface.

When that bull bugled back we looked at each other & said hell that's the same bull we were trying to ambush earlier that had eluded the bugling hunter! His bugle tone was embedded in our minds! We hustled & gathered our crap together & stuffed it back into our packs where ever it would fit; no time for organizing. I screamed a bugle back while still trying to shoulder my pack, the bull fired back at us instantly & I turned away from him & chuckled 5-6 times making him think we had cows & I was keeping them close. He screamed his excitement at that as well & I cut him off with a coarse full send challenge. You could tell he was going to come fast so I set my friend up on top of a knoll that was a dozen feet higher than myself & about the same distance away. He could look right into the shallow steep draw the bull was going to come in on. One more challenge from me along with aggressive raking & I could hear him storming down the mountain!

I saw my friend draw & anchor & I started panting through the bugle tube then bugled hard again all the while I was raking & breaking dry branches from a downed tree that had branches sticking up everywhere, it was a perfect setup. I heard the bull bugle again & there was no way he was more than 15 yards from me on the other side of this small well placed knoll, he had to be so close to my friend that he could smell that bull. I could now hear the bull thrashing everything in sight & giving guttural growls no man could imitate, this went on for a solid minute as I continued to keep his attention with raking & growls of intimidation of my own in hopes of hearing that arrow release. I kept peeking up at my friend & he was still at full draw moving inches left & right & I'm thinking all the while shoot, shoot shoot he's gotta be right there! (grin) He had held at full draw for at least 90 seconds & this bull must have bugled in our face a 1/2 dozen times or more, it was absolute mayhem & an adrenaline rush most elk hunters will rarely experience!

All of a sudden it got quiet as quick as it had all started & no arrow was released, I saw my friend back off on his draw & looked at me like he'd seen a ghost, he was speechless & in awe as was I! He went on to explain that the bull was 7 yards away & thrashing & bugling so violent that he couldn't get a clean shot through the brush he was planted in. The bull had; had enough & retreated back to his cows unscathed the way he had come in but what an awesome encounter. It was like bugling you will rarely ever experience, I've called in 100's of bulls over the years & that was the 2nd most awesome experience I'd been involved in I hope he cherishes it, ones like that don't happen very often! Wow, what an experience it was incredible!

That day was one not soon to be forgotten, I know I made a friend there for life, it's an encounter that will be etched in both our minds till the day we leave this earth!

I took this bull the following year 1/2 mile from that area, I often wondered if it was him or kin to him! (grin)

ElkNut/PaulDSCN1905.jpg

UtahJimmy

WKR
Thanks for sharing these stories Paul! Making the mornings that much better!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks guys! I appreciate you guys checking out some of the fun we have each year! Hopefully you can take something from our imperfect ways! Man I love Elk Hunting the Rut! Love OTC elk hunts! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

wewarev

FNG
Fabulous story as usual Paul, love all of them.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Thanks for the story Paul! Only been hunting elk two seasons so far and have yet to have a successful call in. Stories like this keep the excitement up. Hopefully this year I can make some magic happen.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Agreed guys! Some of the most memorable hunts don't end up with an elk on the ground! It's elk hunting, gotta love it all! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul