The Best Backcountry Snow Shoe

I've been looking for new snow shoes. We are getting a lot of snow in Montana this year. There are big differences in the types and uses and I understand the size recommendations for weight and etc.. I'm looking for advice on the best shoes for serious backcountry use. Just about any will work fine when the going is flat. I would love to hear any thoughts.

oldgoat

WKR
I haven't actually done any real serious backcountry on them yet, but I bought my Crescent Moons I think they are called do that one of these days. I bought their biggest pair, they have the slickest tensioning system I've seen!

Akicita

WKR
I've worn a lot of different snow shoes in my day but the MSR Lightning Ascent has my full endorsement for any conditions I don't first reach for my back country touring skis. I will pack them anytime I plan a route near any low pitch glacial crossing where crampons aren't needed

Last edited:

mntnguide

WKR
I am going to pick up a pair of Atlas serrate or stratus 35's for going in the deep snow that has no tracks. I'm a lineman in western Wyoming and we use them a lot this time of year in places very inaccessible to our sleds and tucker sno cat...a lot of the guys have the old Wooden trapper style and they work great for keeping you up and going across flat terrain...but sidehilling, uphill and downhill are basically a royal pain..that's why I'm going to try the Atlas

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
I am going to pick up a pair of Atlas serrate or stratus 35's for going in the deep snow that has no tracks.

^^^^ Yes^^^ The Atlas line is another one I endorse. Great design with a heel lift bar that makes it easy on your calves. I've used the Montane 35 inch with toe crampons and liked them very much.

Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
MSR is at the top of offerings available for backcountry snowshoeing. Great bindings and traction along with durability.

topher89

WKR
MSR Lightening Ascents or Crescent Moons. The longer the better. Most companies will have info about weight limits for different sizes and lengths. The longer the snowshoe, the more weight they support.

I've been using a set of MSR Denali classics for about a decade. They've worked in every type of snow I've had to go through.

OP
Live Montana
Thanks Guys, that was so awesome... I was thinking about the Atlas Montane 35 and the Lightning. At least I was on the right track.

That is good stuff, I really appreciate it. It's time do do some wolf control, but I have to get back there.

Jimbob

WKR
I have MSR lightening Ascents and my Dad has the northern lites. The Northern lines are awesome to walk in but they do no have the traction or the heel lift bar that the MSR's do. For flat terrain Northern Lite all the way, mixed terrain with side hilling and inclines I'd go MSR ascent.

the heel lift bar on the MSR's is a GAME changer when going up steep terrain. You can also flip them up or down with your treking pole, so no need to sit down and take them off.
Another plus with the MSR is the ability to run the flotation tail for deep powder, and take it off to make your shoes shorter and more maneuverable when you don't need all of the extra float, which is great when you are trying to navigate between trees, step over downed trees, etc.

wildcat33

WKR
Another vote for MSR. As others have mentioned the removable tail adds versatility when you have to deal with deep snow or hauling a heavy pack. The traction bars plus the lateral stiffness make these a solid choice for crossing icy patches. The fastening system is fast and secure. Mine have lasted a long, long time.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I have probably around 1000 or more miles on my MSR Denali Ascents. If for some reason I ever had to replace them I would choose another MSR product, probably the lightning ascents. While the snowshoe body itself is similar to many others on the market, what I truly love about them is the bindings. The televator or whatever its called is also a nice feature that not all shoes have, it's really nice IMO for steep ascents in deep snow.

+1 for the tails also, I have the 4in and the 8in tails and love being able to change my shoes on the fly to suit conditions. Its very very nice to be able to run a really short shoe at times.