The current state of Kimber(or at least my experience)

So, after purchasing a Montana in 308 8 months ago, and having great luck with getting it to shoot(aside from the usual - the mag box ears were too long), and the constant urge of wanting a rifle chambered in 280 ackley, I ran across a smoking deal on a NIB Subalpine in 280 a few weeks back. I purchased it, and took delivery of it this past Friday.

Upon taking it out of the box the first thing I noticed was that the rifle wasn't free floated. Uh oh. Took the action out of the stock, found the mag ears were too long as well. I was out of town turkey hunting this weekend, so while I was out I decided when I got back I'd give Kimber a call before I took matters into my own hands.

I'll say after reading some reviews I expected the worst. The person I talked to was extremely friendly... listened to my concerns and agreed that it should come back. I mentioned the mag ears as well. I also figured I'd have to push for them to pay for shipping - not the case, the person said they would send me a prepaid label without me even needing to mention it. I was quoted a 4-5 week turnaround time.

I dropped the rifle off with UPS today.

I will update this as this situation progresses. I've seen numerous threads and posts that were from their customer service years ago, so we'll see what ends up happening. If it comes down to it I don't have any issues opening up the barrel channel myself... in the absolute worst case scenario, I'll just get it rebarreled... but I figured I'd give them the chance before I went nuts. I have other guns, so its not like I need it right now.

wildcat33

WKR
Forgive my ignorance, but was it supposed to be free floated? I know some of the other super light guns are full length bedded (fieldcraft) because stock is so thin.

Hopefully this goes well for you. Ive always liked the feel of Kimbers but have never felt lucky enough to buy one.

OP
J
Forgive my ignorance, but was it supposed to be free floated? I know some of the other super light guns are full length bedded (fieldcraft) because stock is so thin.

Hopefully this goes well for you. Ive always liked the feel of Kimbers but have never felt lucky enough to buy one.

I was thinking the same thing, but Kimber confirmed it was supposed to be free floated.

Honestly I don't think I'll have an issue with it. I'm pretty sure if I were to go in and open the barrel channel up it would've shot like my Montana does.

Trigger06

FNG
Afraid you'll have some more ignorance to forgive, but what do you mean about the mag box ears being too long? What are the "ears" of a mag box?

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Montana Rifle Co. X2 in 30-06 and I recently bought a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308 Win. I absolutely hate the Montana Rifle Co. rifle and love the Kimber. I had to rebed the Montana Rifle Co. rifle and shorten the action screws to get it to work fairly well. I shot half MOA groups from the Kimber rifle right out of the box. I'll recommend a Kimber rifle to anybody that asks.

OP
J
Afraid you'll have some more ignorance to forgive, but what do you mean about the mag box ears being too long? What are the "ears" of a mag box?

OP
J
Small update - they received the rifle today.

We'll see how long the turn around is and what they find.

For the record, what I found(and communicated to the person on the phone):

Barrel not free floated
Action binding on magazine box

Jardo

WKR
I almost bought a mountain ascent but all the reviews made me nervous. Bought a cooper backcountry and have been happy so far. It did get recalled but they turned it quickly. It’s light and shoots 1/2 moa when I do my part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
J
Jeff sorry to hear man. Bummer deal a bad tikka and now a bad Kimber. Some guys would have no luck at all if it wasn't bad luck. Keep us posted.

Like I said, it happens. The Tikka I sold off on the condition that it was a donor action with a full disclosure about the issues - if someone else wants to deal with Beretta they're more than welcome.

With the Kimber, like I mentioned previously I've noticed that a lot of the bad rap was from years ago... I figure I'd give a real world review of their current process. I'm fortunate that it isn't my only gun so its no big deal.

I almost bought a mountain ascent but all the reviews made me nervous. Bought a cooper backcountry and have been happy so far. It did get recalled but they turned it quickly. It’s light and shoots 1/2 moa when I do my part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My first Kimber was a Montana in 308 that shoots great. I think these days you get good a lot more than you get bad.

For the small snapshot I've experienced of late Kimber seems to have cure "most" of their QC troubles - I've wondered if they contract out their QC, have to choose from what they can hire in NY, just get swamped with pistols and rifles sometimes ? Might be interesting to try and research them a bit, it's a long ways from Yonkers NY to Kalispell MT where there repair center is supposed to be
I'm extremely happy with my 280 AI HUNTER and my GS's HUNTER in 6.5 has been a good performer - I have had a couple of Montana 308's in the past that were unbelievably accurate too (and fed reliably w/o having to tinker with them) It might have been more of an issue with attitude of the contact employees rather then actual technicians - kind of a mystery but it seems to be much much better nowadays

The big question to me is how in the hell these are passing QC checks before leaving the factory. Baffles me honestly.

I agree. My Montana I just bought was not free floated. How hard it that to check? It also would cycle very hard and left marks in the brass. Best I can get out of it is 1” after sanding out the stock. I’m going to bed it and see what happens.

mmac

WKR
I have two, a 300 win in super grade and a 25-06 Montana I bought to replace a browning a-bolt that couldn't hit a barn if shooting from inside of it. Both easily shoot sub -moa in factory and handloads. I did have an issue with the firing pin in the 300 win and sent it back and they agreed, replaced it and sent it back no hassle.

Now, deal with Browning customer service in Missouri and see the opposite example of good service. But they do make great shoguns....

OP
J
I have two, a 300 win in super grade and a 25-06 Montana I bought to replace a browning a-bolt that couldn't hit a barn if shooting from inside of it. Both easily shoot sub -moa in factory and handloads. I did have an issue with the firing pin in the 300 win and sent it back and they agreed, replaced it and sent it back no hassle.

Now, deal with Browning customer service in Missouri and see the opposite example of good service. But they do make great shoguns....

You know, I've had two Brownings and both of them functioned and shot well.

I have heard their CS is hit or miss though.

Was the KImber firing pin problem the actual pin or the spring - they have had quite a bit of firing pin weakness issues that are easily solved with inexpensive replacement springs from a couple of reputable manufacturers

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hope it gets fixed up, my kimber rifles have always served me well and I’ll most likely buy more in the future.

My kimber Montana 308 is one of my favorite rifles.

mmac

WKR
DeerKiller, Quite honestly I am not sure. It would misfire every 2-3 rounds. When I sent it back they told me the firing pin was too short so they replaced it and problem was fixed.

While my experience is limited to a handful of months with my Kimber Mountain Ascent, I've loved it so far. Granted, it's basically my backpacking companion and range shooter at this point, but excels at both (light, good feel in the hand and accurate).

When I called their customer service to ask about the feeding mechanism they were very helpful and took lots of time to share his experience of having been a competitive shooter previously but when he started to shoot the lightweights he couldn't shoot better than 3" groups. Kimber folks told him some tips about equal pressure at all contact points of rifle which got his groups back down to sub-moa.

So far so good...

Cheers

OP
J
Not really related to my customer service experience, but took out my 308 today because I put one of Nathans muzzle brakes on it and I wanted to make sure zero was still good(it wasn't). Nathans brake is far and away better than the Kimber... I can almost spot my shots with this thing - and while I know its "only a 308", it weighs 6lbs with 3 rounds in it... lets just say its "a little" jumpy.

In any case, I didn't have time to shoot a proper group today, and I'm sure this one is a coincidence, I know the gun before I switched brakes would put three in .75 regularly...

o4Ree4A.jpg

Kimbers won't shoot!