The elk shoulder that stopped a 308

Wrench

WKR
My pic is also elk scapulas and also lost the core.

In my mind the only way I can see a bullet skipping vs penetration is on a super hard quartering shot and the shot being wide of the pocket.....or at incredible velocity.

I've parked a lot of 140 class bullets in elk and they tend to push deep.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I don’t get the impression that these gents are getting anything out of sharing their experience. I agree with you in part. In theory if there was a velocity issue it should have penciled through. The account and evidence is what it is though. These guys are contactable if you wish to debunk their experience.
They had 23 minutes to make a case, they failed utterly. They failed to provide relevant details, they failed to provide evidence that what they found was one of their bullets. They failed to provide an account of what they other bullet did. They even failed to discuss what bullet was used and I had to read the comments to get a mushy "I think." They failed to discuss if it was factory ammo or reloads.

If they come on Rokslide, I'll consider giving them more effort, however they can believe what they want and I'm not going to hunt them down to push for details or harass them on their youTube channel. I however, give no credibility to their account nor their experience.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hagas4all

FNG
My pic is also elk scapulas and also lost the core.

In my mind the only way I can see a bullet skipping vs penetration is on a super hard quartering shot and the shot being wide of the pocket.....or at incredible velocity.

I've parked a lot of 140 class bullets in elk and they tend to push deep.
Would expect the same result as you @Wrench ! We cut open the cavity and pulled the guts to grab heart. That bullet did not start anywhere in the torso.

It is what it is. I’m not upset about it. Being objective I understand that outliers happen. It’s a small sample size, but I’m not going to ignore it because I’m looking for confirmation bias.

No not what happened. I responded to a post earlier that explains the shot. The bullet went about 6-8 inches on a hard quarter and stopped on the scapula. From what I have seen the core of these drops out once they are done their job which I used to think was a failure until I learned how they work. Impact velocity should have been around 2190fps. My hunting partner pulled it out when we were cleaning up the meat back at home which is why I have the bullet still. Impact location was about #3 attached.

Believe it or don’t. It does not hurt my feelings. You asked for the bullet and I produced.

Since you quoted me - my comment wasn't about your bullet but the one in the video indicating a 308 bullet allegedly went from supersonic speed to stopped in a matter of a inch or so but didn't cause any bleeding or trauma.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
These guys looked like they had to get permission from their wives before recording this “podcast” in their dining room.

Absolutely brutal. I watched about 2 minutes and clicked away.

Classic case of fudds making animals seem nearly bulletproof to inflate their egos about taking them down seeming more extreme. Just like how a lot of western hunters make hunting seem more extreme than what they actually do by hiking 10 miles in when in reality most are hunting from a truck and the only hike aside from retrieval is 50’ to get off the road for a legal shot.

Bottom line is dude probably made a piss poor shot and wants to blame it on anything but himself. People are weird.

2five7

WKR
Not going to watch, but did they say if they were shooting Factory Federal ammo? Or some kind of super slow handload? The factory stuff would have been still traveling at ~2150 fps at 350 yards.

Funny coincidence. Friend of mine was just muzzleloader hunting. One of the best shots and most accomplished hunter I've met in person. Shot a buck a week ago at 80yards. 225g bullet. Bullet apparently exploded on impact and blew a chunk of the deers chest off and there was no penetration deeper than 2". Deer was injured and he finally found it 2 days later to finish the job

OP
H

Hagas4all

FNG
Since you quoted me - my comment wasn't about your bullet but the one in the video indicating a 308 bullet allegedly went from supersonic speed to stopped in a matter of a inch or so but didn't cause any bleeding or trauma.
Apologies I actually don’t know how that happened.

Sandstrom

WKR
Wow that terrible!! We got to see the actual progression of fudd’s…

A few other observations.
IMG_1123.png

WTF is up with the scope mounting!!!
Is that a ring mounted directly above the bolt??? Speaking about above, could the scope be any higher!!

I can’t wait for the next episodes…

Ryan

Wow that terrible!! We got to see the actual progression of fudd’s…

A few other observations.
View attachment 651797

WTF is up with the scope mounting!!!
Is that a ring mounted directly above the bolt??? Speaking about above, could the scope be any higher!!

I can’t wait for the next episodes…

Ryan
I like the adjustable cheek rest maxed out too😂 hopefully he’ll become an outdoor writer, there is a lot to learn from people like him

TaperPin

WKR
The earliest hunting BS I can remember was about 1978 - since then it hasn’t taken a lot of effort to get a good sample size of BS every year - there aren’t new stories, just new guys telling the same old BS.

I do believe it takes a good bit of penetration for a hard quartering away shot - everyone seems to think this is an unusual shot, but it pops up often over the years, enough so that many of us do like deep penetrating bullets to avoid it.

This idea that any good hunter passes up a hard quartering shot is so full of BS it makes me chuckle out loud - many guys shooting easy expanding bullets should pass up the shot, but not many do.

I don’t have a horse in this race - I wouldn’t hunt elk with that caliber or bullet - but this thread brings out shots and results that aren’t perfect and shows the weakness of shooting systems that only work under a limited range of situations.

It’s perhaps the most interesting to see how younger hunters process online information. The ability to sort through what’s credible and what’s not hasn’t changed in generations, but the frame of reference sure has - just search for any topic on YouTube and the dimwit window licker podcast is right next to the guy with 30 elk under his belt, or a number of national shooting titles, or long history of good judgement doing whatever it is that interests you.

It warms the heart to see guys excited about hunting, making sense out of it all, making fun of old fuds like me. Lol

Last edited:
OP
H

Hagas4all

FNG
The bullet penetrated more than 8 inches. The “shoulder” is a piece of cardboard and isn’t stopping any bullet.

Where’s the core?
There was no core found in tact that was found. It was “flakes and mush” could have been cut out with trim so unsure.

Bullet proof elk. This should be interesting 😂
We can only pray that these new super-elk don't breed else there will be no killing them. That's why it's a good idea for everyone to own a .416 Rigby and shoot brass solids for elk. We're in an ARMS RACE with game animals and everyone needs to be thinking about the future. This part of their evolution is defensive but the next might be some sort of projectile or weapon they can fight back with.

We can only pray that these new super-elk don't breed else there will be no killing them. That's why it's a good idea for everyone to own a .416 Rigby and shoot brass solids for elk. We're in an ARMS RACE with game animals and everyone needs to be thinking about the future. This part of their evolution is defensive but the next might be some sort of projectile or weapon they can fight back with.
Rigby is fine for ribs, but I want to be able to take angled shots too, so I’m a 600NE kinda guy

Are these new age elk even worth going after for meat? You’d need a smelter in the kitchen to break it down to a palatable form.