The morning after...

philw

Lil-Rokslider
My recovery drink is OJ with vanilla-flavored whey protein and glutamine. Doesn't sound very good but tastes good, kind of like a lemon cake.

I'm 55 and the older you get, the more recovery time you need between working different muscle groups. I don't repeat anything without 2 days rest in between. Stretching is good and you'd do well to work with a good trainer for a few sessions to learn good stretches for the parts of your body that are problematic. A good trainer will zero in on those and give you not only good stretches but good exercises to work on any weaknesses that might be contributing. Lots of people work only certain sets of muscles and become unbalanced; a good trainer will have you working on the muscles that are weakest including lots of core stuff.

One thing that I believe works is interval training with high-intensity intervals. Your muscles will go anaerobic during the intervals and you're essentially training your body to get rid of lactic acid during the recovery intervals. Helps with cardio capacity in any case.

OP
big10hunter
Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this post! The soreness has gone away. I added the pre/post protein and chocolate milk, daily vitamin, and also bought some fish oil but have not taken any of that yet. Anyhow, the morning after has gone from soreness to now just feeling like I worked out. Thanks for all the great input. Awesome site and members!