The Optics Game

CiK01

WKR
I am planning a 2016 elk hunt. Destination unknown. As a flatlander, tree stand kind of guy, the only optic I own is a rangefinder.

My next purchase is a quality spotting scope or binoculars. In your opinion, which is more important to the success of a hunt? If you could explain why I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Binoculars. While I don't own a spotting scope, I get the idea from other hunters that it may not get used as much on an elk hunts vs high country mule deer or sheep, etc. I spend a lot of time in the timber so a spotting scope wouldn't get much use. Even for glassing, I have 10x50 nocs that will pickup elk well over a mile away (they stand out a bit more than other hooved critters).

Binos hands down. I use 10x42's that are gander mountain brand. They are a little older and i think made by nikon. My buddy bought some $1000 zeiss last year and there was honestly very little difference. He took them back after looking through mine. Buy the best you can afford.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Is this an archery hunt or rifle? Location you will be hunting? Trophy hunt or anything legal?

In 35 years of hunting I have never taken a spotter on an elk hunt for archery or rifle. However, if you're trophy hunting with a rifle in wide open expanses, a spotter could come in handy. But I would always have bino's before a spotter.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted binos will get much more use in varying terrain and hunts versus a spotter. Buy the best you can afford and only buy once. Many of us wasted money several times until we ended up with our final set.

Binos are a necessity, and a spotter is a luxury. If you are spotting over a large area at distances, a spotter will serve you well, especially to grade the Elk as far as weight and mass, etc of the antlers. Once you start your stalk, or on moving game that's closer, binoculars are the answer.
I would say to take the $$$ that would have been spent on a spotter, and add it to the bino fund to get the very best you can afford.

jrpace25

FNG
I have only been on 1 elk hunt so I am no expert and do not claim to be, but where we were (Northwest WY), there was no real advantage to having a spotter. We were on horseback and in timber most of the time, so a spotter would not have helped us. Our guides didn't even carry a spotter, but rather had good binos within arms reach at all times (and they could spot elk from a looooong way with them). Also, your good binos have the ability to be used "back home" in the flatland tree stand country. I hunt in SE GA and I use my Zeiss binocs almost every hunt.

Beastmode

WKR
You are going to benifit more from a good pair of binos more than just a spotter. If you can afford both do it but only if you can afford a good pair of binos as well. From your original post it looks like one or the other.

Everyone's eyes are different but spending 75%+ of the day on a mule deer hunt behind glass will really make you wish you had great binos. A spotter will help too but again binos first.

I don't carry a spotter for elk hunting unless I am rifle hunting in somewhat open country and I know it will benifit me. You will be able to spot a elk with quality binos at close to a mile. Even more if it's a herd and/or moving.

I think it would be safe to say that most guys in most situations use their binos to spot animals and then break out the spotter to size an animal up.

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
Thanks everybody for the replies. To answer some of the questions, the first hunt will be archery. We are looking at Montana, Idaho and then Colorado OTC first.....then any possible 0 point draw/limited units. We just want to get out there an enjoy what all you western hunters already know.

My only education in elk hunting is from TV.....they all seem to use spotting scopes on there. Sounds like the binoculars are my slam dunk choice though.

Beastmode

WKR
Thanks everybody for the replies. To answer some of the questions, the first hunt will be archery. We are looking at Montana, Idaho and then Colorado OTC first.....then any possible 0 point draw/limited units. We just want to get out there an enjoy what all you western hunters already know.

My only education in elk hunting is from TV.....they all seem to use spotting scopes on there. Sounds like the binoculars are my slam dunk choice though.
What is your budget? Are you going to be only elk hunting or deer as well. Archery hunting elk is generally a moving around a ton game. Spotter is definitely not needed.

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
What is your budget? Are you going to be only elk hunting or deer as well. Archery hunting elk is generally a moving around a ton game. Spotter is definitely not needed.

I can't swallow the alpha binocular price pill. I have tried out the Vortex Viper and Razors and the Cabela's brand in the store. Maybe its me, but I have a hard time telling the difference. Maybe I need to ask them to step outside with them.

Beastmode

WKR
They will let you look outside. Inside is a horrible place to compare optics. I use the vortex razors but will probably be getting a set of EL's withing the next couple years. The razors are great glass for the money.

WRO

WKR
I can't swallow the alpha binocular price pill. I have tried out the Vortex Viper and Razors and the Cabela's brand in the store. Maybe its me, but I have a hard time telling the difference. Maybe I need to ask them to step outside with them.
Just rent a set of alpha glass for your hunt. It'll cost you 1/4 the cost of purchasing even a mid level set of glass.

Bmcox86

WKR
ive used the vortex diamondbacks and vipers and you only notice the difference at sunrise/set. that being said 10x42 in any middle of the road binos will probally work

Manosteel

WKR
For elk binos no question. In all my years Hunting elk I have only brought my spotter once and never brought it out of my pack. Get the best binos you can afford.

If you have time to arrive early and do some scouting then scopes are nice for that but when hunting, they aren't often needed. That said, stick to CO. More elk, more huntable land, fewer wolves and no grizz.