The Paleo Diet

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
matt, you're off to a great start but keep in mind, in the first 7-14 days, 60% plus of weight loss is water. The high protien diets that limit carbs (breads, pasta) use that trick to get weight off fast. Problem is, it creeps back up as you replace the lost water (primarily due to glycogen losses because the carbs have been lowered.)
Keep hitting the fruits/veggies, but in the long run, you'll have to manage calories if you ever want bread again, and believe me, you will. It needs to be 100% whole grain though.

OP
Rod

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
Well I asked for opinions & we got them!!! Thanks for all the input everyone!!

As I write this post there were over 620 views on this thread, I am not sure how many different people that ends up being but I hope that everyone looking learns something they can use to better their health!

I will be watching the other diet thread along with this one to continue to learn.

I am going to continue to post reason's why this diet works for me in the hope it may help a fellow Rokslide junkie get in better shape!! Stay tuned... Rok on!!!

Rod

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Les, thanks for chiming in. I knew I could count on you when I saw your certifications.

Sorry it took so long for my input....life has just been crazy lately. Tons of clients, spring scouting, turkey hunting, my own training, etc, etc, etc! People who know me know I love nutrition training. If anyone has any questions please ask...I don't always reply right away (ask ROD) but I will get there!

I follow a modified paleo diet. I don't think its really feasible for most of us to follow the strict paleo, I use the crossfit food pyramid for my food choices. It goes like this

Meat and veggies
Nuts and seeds
some fruit
little starch
no sugar

I've had great success with this diet and its more lenient than a strict paleo. Some say giving up breads/pasta/grains is a harder addiction than quitting smoking/alcohol/drugs etc. Give the paleo diet a shot for a month and see if you can handle it/works for you... If it doesn't go back to whatever diet/liefstyle you had going before. You've got nothing to lose!

OP
Rod

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
A little background info: I am not a trainer or doctor or nutrition expert. I am a 47 year old male trying to keep my butt in shape so I can hunt as long as possible!!

I have always considered myself an athlete & read lots of info on health & workouts. I am a former wrestler & wrestling coach. I try to stay up on health related issues as it relates to wrestling & hunting. Now I’m just a part time Wilderness Athlete!!

I can tell you more about how not to diet than I can tell the correct ways. It started in high school as a wrestler. Back in the early 80’s we did not have near the info that’s out there today. I would not eat for 3 days before a weigh in. We would weigh in about 7:00 am then by 6:00 pm I would be 10lbs. over & starting all over. Luckily things are way different today.

I’ll be in Iowa City this weekend to see the USA Olympic Wrestling Team trials, some of the best athletes in the world!!!

When I got out of high school no one was going to tell me what or how much I can eat ever again!! (Sound familiar?) I got married had kids & life rolls on, I worked out a little threw out. When I was in my late 30’s I was lifting weights a lot & had my bench up to around 320lbs, not bad for a 5’9” old guy, but my weight had gone up also to around 225lbs!! Not good. So I added cardio & dropped to 200lbs. pretty easy.

I went on my first elk hunt in 2006 in northern Colorado. Myself, and another friend backpacked into an area for 5 days & I have been hooked ever since. I realized I needed to be in even better shape so I kept at it, but it was a struggle to get the weight off.

Last year I saw a post on another bowhunting website about the Paleo Diet that caught my attention. So I did some research & read the books & changed my whole eating style. As I mentioned in a previous post keeping the weight off is easy now.

How can I not be excited to share this with others? I am down to 170 lbs. feel great & am going to continue to get in the best shape possible. My hope is a few people can relate to what I have gone through & find something to encourage them to find their way to better health!!

Rok-on;
Rod

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good job Rod and I won't argue with your results! Just wanted to point out some of the downsides of a lot of diets. Best of luck.

Lost Arra

FNG
"paleo-like" eating has been introduced in my family because of a daughter diagnosed with celiac disease and the challenge of eliminating gluten

sounds easy when you see all the gluten-free packaging in the store but let me tell you, it ain't easy

paleo principles do help

I started the palio like diet 2 weeks ago and have lost 7lbs so far. It's crazy how fast the weight is falling of in the stomach area. I think I have a gluten problem, and I wouldn't have figured it out with out seeing this post and trying it. Energy is up and weight is going down. At the same time I quit caffine! I haven't felt better. Thanks for showing me the way.

Pond

FNG
Great thread! I learned a bit and think my basic idea of "eat less, move more" holds true more than ever. I might add "eat right" to that....

Robby - thanks for you input. After watching several friends try the fad diets every few years; they all end up the same over time, which is overweight..again..and again.

I think people just get lost or look for the quick and easy way for everything instead of the right way.

OP
Rod

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
Dead last eh! I think I'll still stick with it & use some common sence & see how it goes.:cool:

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
How would you do Paleo on a 7 day back pack trip and get the correct nutrition you need to push your self through the mountains? Your pack would weigh 100 lbs or so?

How would you do Paleo on a 7 day back pack trip and get the correct nutrition you need to push your self through the mountains? Your pack would weigh 100 lbs or so?

No. Dehydrate veggies and meat, pack nuts and seeds along with a little bit of fruit leather. You need items with a lot of fat, peanut butter and beef for your energy. Its not hard to do it, just a different way to approach things.

Jager

WKR
Great thread Rod, sounds like your research has really motivated you and you are reaping the rewards.

I come from a long distance running, competitve combat sports and frontline military background and guess I have seen just about every different diet concept out there for complete body fitness. Imo everyone of Robby's posts is spot on, fad diets (not saying that they are a no no, as can be seen from Rob's efforts) but, they are generally just way too restrictive and hard to stay on, its when people go off them that they pile the weight back on and end up where they started, only to go around again with another style of diet.

The number 1 task for dieters, is make absolutely sure they are not eating processed foods, the goodness is gone by this stage and they are choked full of preservatives, a difficult task in today's fast paced lifestyle.

trkyslr

WKR
For about the last three months I've been on a modified paleo diet. One day a week I'll have a cheat day/meal which helps me get through each week. My cheat meal usually isn't that bad either maybe just some added carbs with corn tortillas or rice. For the last 3 months per the diet my sugar and dairy has been extremely minimal. Well a couple days ago I had the crave for ice cream on my cheat day and had two scoops. The next morning I woke up and seriously felt like I had a bad hangover. Had to be the ice cream content as i did not drink any alcohol that night. It's pretty crazy how now my body reacts now when I put crap into it. Is this reaction natural?

Jon Boy

WKR
So far all of you guys that are on a strict paleo diet, what do you eat in the back country? It seems like Mnt. Houses wouldnt be a good choice.

trkyslr

WKR
For me when I'll be in the back country I'll up my content/change my diet to the usual high colorie stuff, mntn hse, trail mix, pb bacon sandwiches.... Just no ice cream ha ;-)

mohawk32

Lil-Rokslider
For about the last three months I've been on a modified paleo diet. One day a week I'll have a cheat day/meal which helps me get through each week. My cheat meal usually isn't that bad either maybe just some added carbs with corn tortillas or rice. For the last 3 months per the diet my sugar and dairy has been extremely minimal. Well a couple days ago I had the crave for ice cream on my cheat day and had two scoops. The next morning I woke up and seriously felt like I had a bad hangover. Had to be the ice cream content as i did not drink any alcohol that night. It's pretty crazy how now my body reacts now when I put crap into it. Is this reaction natural?

Yes, it's a natural reaction, but it's not just to eating junk food. If you went strict vegan for 3 months and ate a venison steak, you'd feel sick from that too. It doesn't mean the venison is junk.

trkyslr

WKR
Yes, it's a natural reaction, but it's not just to eating junk food. If you went strict vegan for 3 months and ate a venison steak, you'd feel sick from that too. It doesn't mean the venison is junk.

And as long as I'm alive that will never ever ever happen!

Jon Boy...I horse hunt so weight isn't as much of an issue. I take precooked meals vacuum sealed and heat them in boiling water. This year I'm going to experiment with dehydrating some of my own meals like chili and stroganoff. That way I can control the ingredients and the price. I'll do some small portions of meal that we're eating this summer to experiment and do bigger batches of what I like.