The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
The market is a long time hold investment for me. Buy some good companies and let them ride. If you buy 10 stocks, 15% will do fantastic, 15% will suck and the 70% will continue to raise in value through many ups and downs. Just don't watch it daily.

End of the day just believe in the USA. IMO

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
I've been throwing extra money into the stock markets since my 20's and always max out my Roth IRA contribution each year. Not a ton but it's making me very comfortable now as I look at slowing down. Went from all stocks to a true fiduciary investment company that's transitioning me more to index funds now. But I'll still buy and hold some good stocks on my own.

Trial153

WKR
Moved some cash in last week, went though my buy list twice, wed though friday. I been picking up some moving targets this week. The rate cut has me a bit on edge.

netman

WKR
I invest through Edward Jones. I get email notifications alerting me of movements in my accounts. There have been a lot of movement lately.
I leave the investment management to the pros.

Beendare

WKR
I'm dollar cost averaging in on the way down...currently 60% invested and looking to get another 20% in. I'm saving apps 20% to buy some oil companies......I think we are close but not quite there.
-This is not a recommendation, I buy a lot of this stuff in non taxable account and trading it in a taxable account can kill you with tax consequences.

I like the high beta stuff and primarily ETF's. I recently bought; SKYY, CIBR, PSJ, VPL, XLV, ONEQ, BABA, TCEHY... I already owned Alibaba and Tencent for a year and a half just adding to it in a taxable account. These 2 are high Beta...careful...but good for selling calls.

I'm watching oil for buy-in points. OXY and CVX. I don't think a guy needs to catch the exact bottom or tops...but it helps to buy at a discount. Chevron has a 5%+ dividend right now..and is at semi sale prices. I think a guy with a 5 year time line can start buying these oils and look like a genius in a few years. I think oil will hit $40/barrel...possibly lower.

I trade...but its not daily or monthly....I follow trends...typically 2,3,4 year trends. I just happened to be in a lot of cash about 3% off the market top-I missed the exact top..... it just didn't feel right even with the Fed helping.

TIP; Look at beta...its usually in the stock/ETF summary. If you are the kind of guy that can't stand his investments losing big money.... buy low beta ETF's.

I look at it this way; what is driving our economy? Software, Semiconductors?
The software industry is a key component in maximizing just about any business...its no wonder it was up over 30% last year and about 16% on avg for the last ten years. You might want to look at PSJ while its on sale. There is no comparison between the Beta of semiconductor ETF SMH at 1.5 and PSJ at 1.1. [1.1 is still a little high for the avg person, 1.5 has crazy swings]

So I pass on SMH [though a guy will get a pop from it in time] and stick with PSJ owning it long term in taxable accts and in IRA. I think a guy can apply that logic to other industry segments. Health care is doing well and will be fine unless we get a Bernie event. Oil sucks now...but its about a 5 year cycle.

Tip 2; always look at the holdings of these funds and ETF's. Some of these tech ETF's are very concentrated; 30% in 2 stocks like MSFT,AAPL. I like it spread across the industry even though the big tech names have provided the best recent performance.

FWIW, my buys above could be down another 15% in a month...so careful piggybacking.

_______-

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful- Warren Buffett
Well it looks like the times getting close to start being greedy plus I have plenty of time to wait for it to rebound

Beendare

WKR
Indicator [?]

Foxconn [a big electronics supplier in China] said today rev for Feb is off 18%, predict their production will ramp up from 50% now to 100% by the end of March.

Thats tech related......but it won't be short term impact for travel related outfits like cruise ship.

Unfortunately I can not take advantage of buying anything right now. Was recently laid off by a railroad, and every railroad is and has been laying off. It is a sign of worse things to come. Transportation feels the hit of recessions and the rebounds first. For now I will be protecting everything I have.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
When the Coronavirus hit initially was watching closely with close to seven figures in my 401k and said been doing great seen the big crash and capitalized heavy since contributing 25% of pay for over 15 yrs and crazy shit going on in politics...not going to risk it on the balance and will gamble with new money till retirement of another 125k...mine will be our guaranteed money to draw from over social security.....we then will gamble with the mrs 401k in addition that is half mine with a Roth for her as well.......I tend to error on the conservative side not taking frontal shots🤩cost me a few more six points but I am ok with that🥰I’m coming on 57 no house payment one car payment and married to a smart lady who started us on a budget 37 yrs ago and let me fill my basement with elk antlers👍 I likely won’t shoot 3 bulls in a season again and I won’t see a big chunk of retirement shrink on crazy shit in the market👍0BCD50B6-0826-44F0-8EBC-9A0F99DEC728.jpeg

When the Coronavirus hit initially was watching closely with close to seven figures in my 401k and said been doing great seen the big crash and capitalized heavy since contributing 25% of pay for over 15 yrs and crazy shit going on in politics...not going to risk it on the balance and will gamble with new money till retirement of another 125k...mine will be our guaranteed money to draw from over social security.....we then will gamble with the mrs 401k in addition that is half mine with a Roth for her as well.......I tend to error on the conservative side not taking frontal shots🤩cost me a few more six points but I am ok with that🥰I’m coming on 57 no house payment one car payment and married to a smart lady who started us on a budget 37 yrs ago and let me fill my basement with elk antlers👍 I likely won’t shoot 3 bulls in a season again and I won’t see a big chunk of retirement shrink on crazy shit in the market👍View attachment 159729
Worst case you can always sell some of that brown gold you have stacked up in your basement. Lol

Buying nothing less the small things to keep the outdoor adventures going...

Less spending allows for more time in the wilds...

Find what you can get away with,,, and stay away from stuff that you can't use for other tasks,,, find the multi purpose stuff...

Best bang for the buck...

Cheers from the North

Don

ljalberta

WKR
I'm more of a buy and hold for retirement sort of guy. Been moving over to ETFs, but still have some individual stocks. Most of you guys buying individual stock, are you guys buying and holding long term for retirement (10-30+years) in mind, or trading in mind, with a price you're aiming to sell at?

I have said it before. No one ever has successfully timed the market consistently. Money on the sidelines is being lost via inflation. Look up bogleheads and read the book. Invest in a boring three fund, low cost portfolio. Fire your "helpers" (financial advisor types). Set your allocation. Sleep well at night with slow steady growth. Don't overthink it.

Marble

WKR
I have said it before. No one ever has successfully timed the market consistently. Money on the sidelines is being lost via inflation. Look up bogleheads and read the book. Invest in a boring three fund, low cost portfolio. Fire your "helpers" (financial advisor types). Set your allocation. Sleep well at night with slow steady growth. Don't overthink it.
My exact philosophy right there!!

I work in a profession with a defined pension. A rather good one. I put about $1000 monthly into it. A lot and I mean A LOT! Of guys I work with have no life insurance or any other investments. It doesn't cost a lot to have both. But it sure costs a lot when you don't...

I expect the fear of Corona is going to get worse as it keeps spreading. Waiting for a solid bottom before increasing my positions.

Don’t try to catch a falling knife.

Ford is looking attractive. Restructuring is winding down, several new models this fall including hybrid trucks and suvs.

Oil and gas companies

5G companies